Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No New Contract For Vera Pauw

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

The good news is Boggles you didn't have to wait long for someone to be thrown un der the bus. Vera's thrown her staff under the bus now. Also, she has very staunchly defended Katie McCabe, which I am sure most posters here will disagree with her on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

People are certainly talking about womens football lately anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So that absolves her of the shíthousing?

Instead of a stupid disrespectful emoji, why didn't she tweet out that she was sorry for her actions she got excited, etc.

Sounds like the FAI interviewed everyone about Vera's job except Vera.

Is Delaney back there or what?

Why would the FAI interview Vera about her job? 😂 if Delaney was back there the FAI would have asked no one and she would have gotten a contract when ireland qualified. Thankfully the FAI have learnt from how disastrous an approach that was from the men's side.

The FAI approached this situation is a perfectly competent way, which is actuslly quite rare for them. They waited until the tournament finished and waited to see how the team performed and then they condected a review that included asking the people who have worked for and the players who have been coached by Vera. It seems that the almost unamious response by both groups about Vera was negative. Imagine on the back of that they gave her a new contract. 😂 that would be true John Delaney carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The FAI are not synonymous with competence, not sure why you are assuming competency in their procedures relating to the women’s team.

• Advertisement

Why would the FAI interview Vera about her job?

Because that is what competent federations do, they engage with their head coach first and foremost.

Can we conclude that this article has brought attention into that squad that we did not overcome? At first management said, 'yes', and then they thought 'no, no no, no'. I said, 'because of false accusations'.

"And then it was said, 'false? Do we actually have a garda vetting of you Vera?' I fell off my chair, because I don't know why he said it

So it's about the allegations.

I'd love to know what absolute muppet said that to her. Cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭hawley

First time I've heard of that tbh. I mean, she's hardly going sit there and say she's been terrible. A competent organisation would hardly take the head coach's stance on their own performance as being the most important and relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Well well well, turns out it was nothing to do with so called "princess" McCabe at all. Who could possibly have predicted that...

Like I said yesterday, a few lads will have to crawl under their rocks for a few days now that the real details are emerging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Just before vera spoke to her it doesn't mean she wasn't responsible for what happened....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You are so desperate for it to be her fault you are going to ignore the fact that everybody involved, including Vera Pauw herself, says that it was nothing to do with McCabe.

Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

You changed your tune. At least you learned how to spell her name.

I don't think I even mentioned her ,

Not sure desperate is quite the word here .

Vera was thrown under the bus it's that simple

• Registered Users Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If there was a serious rift between Pauw and McCabe, couldn't see the phone chat lasting an hour. Pauw says she loves McCabe and her commitment. Pauw indicates some of her own staff didn't stay loyal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah, I liked the woman like most Dutch people she said what she thinks. Tactically though I did think she made some errors. On the other hand she did get Ireland to their first ever World Cup.

In normal circumstances such a person would be reappointed, but the impression I get she was direct with the FAI top brass as she saw their attitude as lack of support. So the FAI decided they wanted someone they could control a 'yes woman'.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭TokTik

Harass and intimidate? A text asking if he could call when she got a free moment and then one chat with her? Sounds very intimidating. And as a minor, he is who Pauw should have been dealing with, as per the FAIs own guidelines.

You've a fairly low bar for harassment there.

Seems to be her MO.

When she was under pressure before the WC over the US stuff she suddenly remembered they a coach had threatened to shoot her.

There’s been plenty over the past 5+ years. Or do you think English clubs thought they could never prise the elite Vera away from the Irish setup??

The acts of telling overweight professional athletes that they need to lose weight to perform at elite level, and dropping a player from the national senior team hardly seems the basis of an allegation of toxicity.

You weren’t party to the text/direct conversation between a parent unhappy with his daughter being dropped, and the manager. All of us who have had kids play underage know the parents who are, shall we say, less constrained in their views about how their kids should be played, and how veciferous they can be in their criticism of the manager. I am not saying the parent was abusive, what I am saying is that the manager said he was, and you don’t know if that is true.

So your own bar is at floor level, have you something more to add other than those two issues?

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Advertisement

The manager seems to have quite a history of bringing things up, well after the fact, once pressure comes on her.

She has a feud with the Dutch FA, suddenly remembers she was raped, by a man who claims they were having an affair that he ended, claims trauma but tells the FA that she doesn’t want a criminal investigation.

She gets kicked out of Houston Dash, refuses to help with the independent enquiry and give her side, pressure comes on and suddenly remembers the night one of her coaches threatened to shoot her for changing the night they train.

Gets into a dispute with Tyler Toland, bullies her via the media, claims to want an apology for an unknown slight. Father goes to media, suddenly Vera remembers he rang her and was abusive and intimidating.

Contract not renewed, Vera suddenly remembers her staff all talking behind her back. Knew it was coming etc. loves Katie McCabe. I think there’s a lot more to come out about her time in charge of Ireland. And her online white knights will have a lot of egg on their faces.

More silliness.

The first paragraph is just victim blaming. She isn’t the first rape victim who didn’t press charges.

Football managers get sacked, even the best ones. The bank balances of Jose/Rafa/Carlo etc are swollen from pay offs after being kicked out of clubs.

If the charge is that she told lardy players to lose weight, then no one should be surprised that she thought the enquiry was a bad joke. European clubs must find that allegation boneheaded, because they take it as a given that players are supposed to be at optimal fitness when they turn up for work.

What bullying, could you link to it please? She dropped her, then when asked about it stated that her father tried to harass/intimidate her, what additional details can you provide on this?

She is not the first to speak out AFTER leaving a job.

So far your proof of toxicity is at best flimsy, at worst, seems to be misogynistic bias.

Not on just her performance the performance overall.

Was the stated goals achieved, were they exceeded, if not why not, etc.

Anyway it is becoming quite clear that it's all about the allegations and it sounds like the FAI review was nothing to do with football but a mission to find something on her so they could not renew her contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"Football managers get sacked, even the best ones. The bank balances of Jose/Rafa/Carlo etc are swollen from pay offs after being kicked out of clubs."

Yes indeed, the FAI decided they didn't want to renew her contract. They weren't obliged to renew it and they chose not to. Vera can have no complaints really, that's the nature of contracts. I've had contracts to do various work, provided good service and yet seen the contract go elsewhere when it came up for renewal. That's how commercial life works ;)

Fair point, as it would apply to your job. But in the context of football management, having succeeded in guiding the team to its first World Cup qualification, and that she claims she was told her contract was being renewed, I think she has a justifiable gripe and the FAI, a publicly funded organisation, should answer questions about this decision.

My reference to the managers being sacked was a response to the other posters inference that being kicked out of the American is an indicative of her ability. Even the best managers get kicked out when the teams don’t perform, in Pauws case the team performed above expectation by qualifying, and about as expected in the competition itself.

Though I of course don’t know the nuances of the relationship between Pauw and those around her, this just smacks of the FAI acting like amateurs again. Instead of backing the manager, laying down foundations for a professionally run ladies scene, they appear to have caved to player pressure. Something which does not bode well for future managers.

Seems someone has a blunt axe to grind,

Will Someone think of the children Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭riddles

Vera was looking at a contract worth 150k*4 and suddenly had the rugged pulled. She is now aggrieved because that was money for Jam. I would be too if I was in her shoes.

On the flip side, if she was as peeved with the carry on of the FAI as she now states surely it would have prevented her in signing the new contract. I guess there are other associations queueing up to take her on?

€150K per year, seems to be a fair wage for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,478 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d say the new interim manager Gleeson has her work cut out.

personally if im her I’m finishing the first team meeting along the lines of.. “ you are adults, all chosen to represent you country, all of you agreed to it….you alone are responsible for your behaviour. The eyes of the world are on you / us. You are international sports people. Representing the country and team…..any social media that you post that is viewed to be disparaging against or disrespectful to…teammates, opponents, supporters, staff, other nations etc. may see you unselected for international duty and or fined xxxx euros… in addition any differences of opinion are to be dealt with behind closed doors in a calm, professional manner “

that McCabe is 28 I’m seeing. Not a kid, far from it… Been around the block..yet behaving like a 7 year old….” 🤐”… wtf, have the courage to say your piece or say nothing….. little immature shît stirrer / attention seeker.…

• Advertisement

There is a vacancy in Spain for a manager.

Advertisement