Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pump vs Condenser Dryer

Options
  • 30-08-2023 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Im looking at options for the dryer at home. My wife uses the dryer ALOT and the door has now started to give trouble, so Im looking at replacing it.

Are the Heat Pump dryer's worth it? Is there a saving on electricity using them? Ours could be on for about an hour every day! (Dont judge 😀 )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi!

If you have a look at the Product Info Sheets for standard versus heat-pump dryers you'll see the estimated usage in kWh for 160 loads at full and partial fills. I had a quick look and I saw a heat-pump dryer showing 236kWh where as a standard vented or a condenser unit was around 520kWh.

That saving at 45c per unit at 290 units is around 130 EUR alone per year. So going for the A++ or even the A+++ will provide much better returns over the lifetime of the dryer. No-brainer in some ways!

(corrected condenser to heat-pump in the first sentence)

Post edited by 10-10-20 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Brilliant. Thank you so much.

Now I need to narrow down the scope and find one within a normal price range. Some of them are crazy expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭DC999

Some people on the renewable forum are using and they are using close to half the energy. To save on the cost some got ex demo machines, another got one 2nd hand on done deal or adverts. I'll deffo get one when next replacing.

Get one that auto turns off when the clothes are dry. Saves a lot of electricity that way.

In the mean time, turn your one down to eco / sensitive mode if it has it. Still dries the clothes but uses less power overall. Takes longer of course. I know for a fact it uses less power per drying cycle, tested it on my – am a geek for measuring stuff 😊 And I’m just guessing but I expect it stresses the machine less as it’s generating way less heat – which I guess so should help a dryer last longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I like it. I'd like to have a swipe control on mine, one where you have to swipe to prove that the clothes are actually wet before putting them into the dryer. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Thank you so much. My mind is definitely made up now. Im looking at changing in the next week or two. Time to do some investigations😀

• Advertisement
Advertisement