Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saltburn

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The setting of the house was amazing.

Why there was so many shots of BK's flute I'm unsure

Really disappointing movie. All style and no substance which is ironic because they actually make reference to that girl Pamela in the movie in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

The longer the film sits with me, the more I dislike it. Especially the more people tell me they like it.

Post edited by homerun_homer on

• Registered Users Posts: 86,695 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'M A VAMPIRE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

watched it last night. not sure what to make of it. very odd. much preferred 'promising young woman' but it's still watchable. but don't think I'll watch it again

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

A silly, vapid film. The director seems to want to shock and create controversy, but as with Promising Young Woman, she seems uninterested in plot coherence or credible characterisation. Basically Brideshead Revisited without any of the pathos but with knob and spunk gags

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭FantasyFool

Not for me. Its like they sat down, brainstormed and tried to bundle all their "shock" ideas into a film. A mess of a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Young lad had a niece piece on him. Setting was amazing, film was alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,697 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its prioritised shock and controversy over any kind of coherent plot or story.

It was like SNL with not much relevence between the shock skits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

Everything after the cafe scene at the end was completely unnecessary and kind of ruined whatever was salvageable of the storyline.

The writing in general was poor, definitely agree that it was all style over substance. The terrible Scouse accent was really annoying too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The plot and dialogue very ropey.

But yes his accent was woeful.

Merseyside by way of East Wall.

Keoghan limited as an actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

The lads lad?

I think people here have missed the whole point of the film, seemingly its intention was to feed the visual senses and to raise the bar of fcukedupness, which it has achieved, rather than have any great meaningful storyline.

I would have loved to see this film presented to a censorship board 40 years ago, and be present in the room to see their reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Loved it! For me it was the punchy off-the-wall characters (great cast), the acting and turning the whole fecking plot on its head. Loved the visual nod to the grand house drama era and that party - 1920s party vibe.

What a rich visual feast it was! Looking forward to seeing it again.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Visually it's lush, but Fennell's stated desire of wanting to both show that these rich, posh characters are awful but that there's a reason people might want to be part of their lives didn't really land, because the level of writing wasn't there (in part because it also has to accommodate Oliver's plotline). Like, if you want early 21st century class commentary with an Oxbridge setting, Riot Club did it better (and it's by no means perfect, but it is a lot more focused in its intent).

The attempts to provoke mainly made me think that it's been a long time since I last watched Visitor Q, and I should rewatch it.

Overall, I think Saltburn was a visually very pretty film where the actors did their best with inconsistent material, but really it would actually have made much more sense as a miniseries - part 1 being at Oxford, ending with Oliver arriving at Saltburn for summer, part 2 being everything up until the birthday party (with the specifics of Felix & Oliver's visit to Oliver's mum not specified), and part 3 being the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭fran38

Meh! Watched it two weeks ago. I've seen better movies that aims to shock. 'Society' anyone? The bath tub, period & graveyard scene were all done before in terms of creating scenes of controversy. 'A Clockwork Orange' or 'Sado, or 120 days of Sodom' are indescribable in their ability to make an audience vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

I think in truth it’s more critical of its working/middle class character than the toffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Total yawnfest - no idea where all the hype was coming from.

Watched it over 3 viewings as it just all too boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Shank Williams

Wish I’d known director was from that class before watching- wouldn’t have bothered watching

the shock stuff is fairly eye rolling stuff especially the grave one

keoghsn not exactly showing a lot of range is he

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Terrier2023

apparently it was all his own too not a prosthetic in sight ! Nice little arse on him but i only ever see him murdering the cat on Love /Hate that set the tone for the weirdo films he does, his cold hearted murder of a little pussy !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Seems very negative comments here. I liked it, had no idea what it was gonna be about going into it, and I thought it was a very intelligent film showing the dark side of your Downtown Abbey type folk who are so many in UK. The 3 shocking scenes, especially bath and grave were great. The twist towards the end was really good. The very last scene was brilliant in the way it took the pi$$ out of the house tour Keoghan got when he first arrived. Great acting by all especially Keoghan, the tall lad, Pike and Grant. Some nice tunes also especially the pet shop boys karaoke scene. I much preferred this over promising young woman which was too much focused on the lead actress performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

It's an alright film, overhyped for the very fact Barry Keoghan is in it, in which it seems anything he does must be artsy or "out there", therefore garning critical acclaim just for the sake of it.

Seen him in a few things and watched "Killing of a Sacred Deer" last week too. I'll be honest, there's something enjoyable about watching him in things that I can't quite put my finger on, but is he really that good? Just plays the same odd sort of mysterious character in everything. But seems to have drawn this following that even when he pisses, will be critically acclaimed.

I think people are fascinated in how he looks, is he half chinese, did he have a skin disease, then you hear him talk and he's normal. There's something about him people are fascinated by, I don't know what it is.

I'll admit, his Joker looks like it could be brilliant, then again his acting style is made for that very character. Seems to have the ticks, presence, laugh and understanding of what makes the Joker brilliant. He'll do that character justice but I still don't know what all the hype is about tbh.

Average enough film, Keoghan keeps it interesting with his oddness, dunno if that's a good or bad thing. He's no Di Caprio or Day-Lewis though, that's for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MfMan

Do not even attempt to mention Day Lewis and LDC in the same sentence. Not even in jest!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Not a bad movie but not really good either. I think particularly the final 15-20 minutes are poorly written. We are meant to think the BK character as Machiavelli but it just becomes totally implausible. The manipulations of the other characters are too clunky and obvious. It's certainly no Talented mister ripley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

It's ok I guess although every one of the characters are so thoroughly unlikeable it's hard to care even slightly about what happens to them, although maybe that is the point of it.

Does Barry Keoghan ever get to play characters who aren't in some way mentally challenged/autistic/aspergers.

Film felt like a cross between Killing of a Sacred Deer and Brideshead Revisited.

Don't think I'll revisit it anytime or think about it too much, it's funny in moments but also relatively uninteresting for large parts of it.Not really whole pile of excitement or intrigue I guess.

Post edited by Jack Daw on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I didn't enjoy this movie at all....very overhyped. I actually nearly left early but stuck it out ...not sure why I dud by the end

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭xlogo

Awful pile o'shite

Advertisement