Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SETU Wexford "High Demand" for Accommodation

Options
  • 30-08-2023 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So the CAO offers were made today, and congrats to all who got in :) Back in May this year, the local paper in Wexford ran an article telling us how SETU were working to connect students and people renting out rooms/properties. One line in particular stands out:

"With an ongoing shortage of rental accommodation, it is anticipated there will be high demand for lodgings and digs across Wexford." (I can't post links, Google 'SETU Wexford student accommodation news', it's the first result)

This morning on SETUs StudentPad website there were 19 properties available in Wexford county, including the room I have advertised. Tonight, 8 hours after CAO offers were sent out, there are 18 properties available. I didn't hear anything from any prospective renters today, and in last hour I've spoken with 2 other people advertising rooms close to the Wexford campus, neither of which have heard anything either.

One of my own children is going into 3rd year of his course across the country soon, and I still remember the bloodbath it was in year one trying to find him somewhere to stay, landlords were swamped with inquries, places were gone before you could even make contact, and that was from the day the first round of offers went out.

My question is this - did SETU seriously overestimate the demand for accommodation close to the Wexford campus? Has anyone here any experience of that campus, or renting a room to a student from that campus?

Comments

While there is an accommodation shortage digs are not most students first choice they want to be in a house with their mates. In two to three weeks there will be more demand for digs.

Advertisement