Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to deal with coworkers who are slackers when others don’t see it yet?

Options
  • 31-08-2023 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

How to deal with coworkers who are slackers when others don’t see it yet?

Especially when you need to pick up the slack and cover for them.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Don't take up the slack, keep your head down and mind your own business. If your manager wants to hire and keep on slacker that is their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Do you work in customer facing environment or call centre OP?

It's your managers problem not yours.

Join the adjacent trade union if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,977 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Look for any opportunities you can to highlight the behaviour to managers and colleagues.

The best ate ones that they can observe themselves rather than you telling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The best piece of advice I can give is to ignore the post above this that which will turn people against you.

Keep your head down and do your work and no more, if the team is not hitting targets the manager will need to sort it out.

Make your manager do something about it without you being a grass and others not liking you over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

Co-worker. The name say it all. Your not their supervisor. your responsible for your own work ethic and your contribution to the team. I suggest you concentrate on what your own role is and leave the rest of the team to do the same.

Any team i have been on has always had some people more effective than others, for a variety of reasons. Thats the real world for you. i prefer to set a good example and be helpful to co-workers who as for advice or help than the kick up the arse method. I find it gets better results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,977 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And when the OP stops picking up the slack and covering for them, the OP will get blamed. Real clever.

There's a huge difference between finding opportunities to help the manager notice the issue, and outright complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Once again I am genuinely baffled that you claim to have worked in so many places.

A manager assigns work and an employee is tasked with doing that work, the op is doing other peoples work.

I am sorry but the manager knows the workload and who is doing what.

I find generally in these scenarios it is people who know they can get away with it that do it.

They are either at the company a long time or are good friends with higher ups.

I have no doubt the manager already knows the op is doing more work and others are slacking off.

If the OP just does the work assigned to them then the manager has to sort it.

If the OP starts complaining about an employee then others will call them a grass etc.

Do your work and say nothing and let the manager worry about getting the work done that is not assigned to you.

This is not your problem and complaining about it will bring problems your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Squatman

i think her "advice" is best ignored. Jim has sound advice. follow jims advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Your first sentence might be related to the quality of advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I'd be surprised if the manager can't see what's going on but unfortunately the easiest solution for a manager is to allow the diligent pick up the slack, if they will.

It's a very short term approach as it will lead to burn out or resignation of the diligent, or worse still it will sap their motivation and turn them into another slacker.

OP, you either start talking to your manager about your performance, not the other person's, and ask about promotion opportunities if the manager recognises you as a high performer or if there aren't any promotion opportunities, you need to look elsewhere, but you need own your own career progression, find your opportunities and don't obsess with coworkers, they're most likely going nowhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement