Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glasnevin Cemetery Records

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭55Gem

For headstones https://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/dublin/photos/tombstones/1glasnevin/

more labour intensive and I don’t know how complete it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭dubred

Thanks for that, I have had no luck with the 50 people in my list, buried between 1857 and 1999. The version for Mount Jerome is much more complete, I have had more success with that one in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭BowWow

Probably a good argument that if the basic Glasnevin records as uploaded to Find a Grave last August had been left there (see start of this thread), it would have resulted in people finding the records of interest to them and then purchasing the more detailed entries/images from the Glasnevin site.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

If the basic Glasnevin records as uploaded to Find a Grave last August had been left there I for one would be less likely to purchase anything from the Glasnevin site.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I have to agree with @Hermy

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭BowWow

We'll have to agree to disagree…

When the records were live I found a number of Connolly relatives and then purchased the full records to see addresses, who was responsible for the burials etc. I couldn't have afforded to just gamble on buying Connolly records for the years in question.

I'd agree with that BowWow.

Being able to cross reference between Find A Grave and DC Trust would definitely help with identifying the right records to pay for.

What I don't believe would happen though is that the availability of free transcripts at Find A Grave would lead to an increase in purchases at DC Trust - in fact the opposite is more likely as in many cases the free records would be sufficient.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Especially for people who are less concerned with accuracy!!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Well, where ones budget is tight and there are a lot of burial queries the free transcripts might suffice for peripheral individuals on ones tree while saving the paid records for key individuals or those one is less sure about.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭dubred

I certainly didn't make enough use of the Find a grave records, but I have since purchased 3 full 10 credit records, which turned out as follows

• 7 people in the plot, 4 were from my tree, 1 was a new person
    • 2 people in the plot, 1 was from my tree, I got information from the image which confirmed I had the right person
    • 2 people in the plot, 1 was from my tree, I got information from the image which confirmed I had the right person and revealed another previously unknown family member

Had I known that there were no additional family members in the 2nd and 3rd plots, I wouldn't have spent/wasted the additional 5 credits on them. Not entirely sure which side of the debate that puts me.

If one were to visit Glasnevin with a list of names and death dates, would the staff assist with plot locations or would they just say use the website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭JennyZ

Thanks, I did that online last week and paid €8, but I haven't heard anything back, do they email with details, does it take a while for them to respond?

The record you purchased should be visible to you on the website as soon as you pay for it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭ath262

»If one were to visit Glasnevin with a list of names and death dates,
    would the staff assist with plot locations or would they just say use
    the website?

Once you find the right section you should be able to follow the coordinates to locate the relevant plot. There are references on the backs of many headstones and on the walls (if you can see that far). It's a bit like a game of battleships… watch for 1/2 plots and unmarked graves with no memorial or headstone

If you do a tour of the cemetery, they give you 10 free credits for the website.

They might do a single look-up for you but mostly would say - there's some computers, let's show you how to use them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement