Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clampdown on TV 'Dodgy Boxes'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Criminal gangs being what they are will at some point start exploiting that. They are only in it for the money, not for people's entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭AyeGer

It’s not if you like subtitles or like to have a series automatically bring you to the episode you last watched. Pause and rewind with sports etc. it’s just cheaper that’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭jj880

Depends on your IPTV app. Admittedly theres no rewind live TV feature with mine. You can pause live TV though. Always has subtitles and has a continue watching section that saves your progress for 30 most recent films and box sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Ah come on. I have a super IPTV and super powered catalogue of nearly everything ever made. But its just not as good a full sky package/ Netflix/ Disney/ amazaon.

the difference is its E140 a year vs what would be E2000+ to get the same. It’s low cost but sometimes lower quality and reliability.

But will never go back to sky. Happy with my provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

I'd disagree. Iptv tends to have a much larger catalogue than all the services you listed combined. Also the channel range is far superior to Sky. Add in on demand for most of that. No need to record, rewind etc. when it is all on demand anyway. Some iptv apps support this anyway if you really wanted them.

Only thing Sky might win on is closer to realtime spórt broadcast and a more reliable service

• Advertisement

Im thinking this was meant to be a response to Kingp35's post?

Doesn't make sense as a response to mine...

I think I am agreeing with you. My point is if you add all the legit stuff to equal that of what I can get on IPTV you up on 10+ subscriptions.

the benefit of IPTV is lower cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

There is a lot of stuff you can't buy through traditional means though no matter how much you pay.

Think 3pm UK Premiership games, films still in the cinema, French TV channels, Second division Australian sport.

SkyBT Sports is fine if you follow Liverpool as most of their games are at non-3pm slots but not so good if you follow Nottingham Forest.

It's also in one place presented in a consistent way. No need to search 5 different sources to find what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I was a long time Sky customer with sports, multi room, HD etc. (Still have to pay €4 a month for HD with Sky which is shocking) With the increases, it was going to 176 a month (with Broadband) so I cancelled it all. I miss the ability to record stuff like the F1 and watch it after a Sunday match, but that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

I was also a subscriber to Sky since 2001, I was paying Sky about 150 euros per month at the time of cancellation (without broadband). Went to a basic HD package (did not recontract) which cost 45 euros per month which consisted of fcuk all channels, within two months it had increased to 50 euros per month. I cancelled abruptly in which they came after me with a UK based dept collection agency. They talk about illegal IPTV operaters being criminals but from my experience I found Sky to be no different.

My IPTV keeps a weeks catch up available. As soon as something finishes its available to rewatch. Ive never had Sky so maybe not exactly the same as recording it but very handy if you miss something.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Only speaking for myself and close friends here but the majority that use IPTV is for live football because of the 3pm blackout in whole across the UK and Ireland - 1 game on Premier.

Sky Q,Virgin or at worst freesat other than that

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

I think maybe they telling you a few porkpies.

Hard to beat having HBO Max, Paramount+, Apple+, Disney+, Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video and many more all together with progress saved and merged in 1 place.

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,229 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm surprised that this has not been brought up already today.

I know people here will dismiss the notion that organized crime are involved in illegal streaming, primarily because there is little hard evidence of it.

The podcast that was posted here a while back implied a level of criminal involvement but all he had was some young eastern European streamer saying that he worked with very powerful people.

Then again the thing about organized illegal activity it's not exactly in the spotlight.

I'd be very surprised if criminality was not involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Most peoole wont care when it means an extra 100 euro in their pockets a month.

Anyways its a Sky report so vested interests and that.

Id be seriously surprised if organised crime gangs are involved in what is a pittance really from iptv subs. They make too much money in drugs and other things to bother with this.

Dont believe what sky are telling you. The truth is they arent able to stop iptv through tech means so now they are trying this angle. Screw them.

Yes yes. Please buy Sky to preserve your network security. Its for your own good.

Hearing this crap on the radio all day today.

I'll take my chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Heard a lot of the backend providers are based in Iraq. Good luck getting them shutdown. The reseller business is dodgy enough though. Some lad in Ireland selling subscriptions through a panel is low hanging fruit for authorities.

You'd be mad to be a reseller based in ireland unless you know exaclty what your doing.

Do i feel bad the likes of Haaland or Salah might have to take a pay cut from 400k a week to 200k eventually, do i fcuk.

But you know well know that Salah and Haaland won't be the ones taking the pay cuts.

It will be the ground staff, the admin, the catering.

• Advertisement

Will halaand and salah feel bad about those people losing their jobs?

Halaand and salah wont give a toss and they earn 400k a week. Yet you wont the average worker in ireland on 50 or 60k to care? Nah mate. Your argument doesnt stack up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It's not the customers fault when a business decides lower paid workers aren't as important, it's just called bad business practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Liverpools player wage bill is around €150m. They could sack 100 ground staff/cleaners/caterers and it wouldn't cover two weeks wages for the players.

To put it another way, a 1% wage cut for players would be equal to around 40 lower paid workers.

The average Joe in the club is not the low hanging fruit you think it is

Dont see the connection between someone who buys an IPTV sub and how a football club decides to distribute their TV revenue.

As Illegal IPTV becomes more of an issue then the TV companies will pay less for the rights.

That means that the clubs will get less money.

As a result the clubs will make cut backs in certain areas, and it won't be to the high paid playing staff.

How do you know that? You seem certain of it.

A kitchen lady is probably getting 25k a year. Some of the players are getting that a day.

I think you know the amswer to where the cuts should be made. If clubs decide to let minimum wage staff go its a decision they were going to make regardless of IPTV.

IPTV isnt the problem you think it is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Actually what that article shows is that those running this campaign haven't a notion of how most of these services run.

The days of searching the web for "dodgy streams" is long, long over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭Shoog

The anti-piracy teams have been fairly effective at closing down all the casual and easy ways of accessing pirate streams. Most of the Kodi box pluggings simple aren't worth using anymore.

The bar to pirated content has raised considerably and require quite technical skills to setup.

I would say that the media groups are winning the war and most people will simply go with the paid streaming services.

Illegal IPTV services are a crap shoot and most people will give up on them after been burned a few times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement