Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clampdown on TV 'Dodgy Boxes'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Or the day of a big game, you are desperate to watch, frantically googling for a cheap stream and you find "Unlimited Premier League games, only £1.99, enter your card details here".

It's only 1.99 you think, so why not, give it a go. Meanwhile your card details are used to buy 3 grands worth of BitCoin, you get the SMS asking do you approve the transaction, of course tap yes, or enter the code or whatever. Boom, money gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Its more subtle than that.

Search for a stream and download the "plugin" to watch. Malware is installed and steals their banking logins and boom account empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

There was a piece on NT yesterday with Jess where a listener asked about using your own router rather than the ISP provided kit.

Her response was not impressive... eventually resorting to recommending to stick with what they provide as its optimised.....

Having dealt with such junk as the Eir F2000 and the very restrictive Sky router, I can tell her that my ASUS AX-58U and now XT8 are far superior in every way to anything an ISP has ever provided - all you need is the connection info to log into the network and you're away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It's all about her agent unfortunately. My cat knows more about serious tech than her.

• Advertisement

Yes, but that was the correct advice for that user.

A person asking their nextdoor neighbour who "knows about such things", is one thing, but giving advice in response to a text on a radio show, could open a huge can of worms for both parties.

The ISP will not give support for setting up a 3rd party router, the person may need ISP information from Tech Support for setting up the new router, she could well end up with no broadband and be bad mouthing "that Jess Kelly one from NewsTalk".

You or me could buy a new router and probably set it up without even looking at the manual, but the sort of person who asks the question via text to a radio show is going to need additional support to get their router up and running. So continuing to use the ISP supplied router which they do support is the right course of action.

It's all about her agent unfortunately. My cat knows more about serious tech than her.

Her segment is not a serious tech segment though. It's a segment for every day people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

imagine - a tech writer has an agent ffs… there’s kids on youtube reviewing tech that would leave jess and wreckler in the h’appeny place…

dodgy box? no adrian, it’s a small form factor streaming device.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Shows like that with "experts" like that are only really aimed at consumer level products which are considered very much "plug and play" .

Swapping out an ISP router for one you bought yourself and configuring it is not something the target audience would be doing.

You or I might, but not the normal Joe Soap on the evening commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No I agree, but then the question shouldn't have been put to her really. Stick to the smartwatch questions and so on.

Jess Kelly's title at NT is "Tech Correspondent". All and any tech questions are fair game.

Maybe her title should be changed to something a little more accurate like " Consumer tech enthusiast"

• Advertisement

Its the same as when they have the health guru on, if it's not an over the counter remedy they know of, the advice is to "speak to your doctor". Same with the money matters segment. Half the advice is "If you dont have a financial adviser, get one", and the other half is "Talk to your financial adviser".

Like what normal man or woman has a financial adviser ffs.

We need to get into the NKM stable. Grassroots tech review. We’ll get free dinners, a slot on dancing with the staff, a podcast and a book deal. **** me i might be even to retire at 55 and spend all me time buying cheap tech on ali express.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

Why do ppl use a firestick over just their smart tv when adding a streaming service.

Presume the firestick is the device and can be moved from telly to telly so its mobile - but apart from that what else.

Also this claim about malware etc. I know loads of ppl using dogy boxes and the worst that has happened them is that the service got shutdown and they lost a few pounds (after saving much more)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Sure a smart tv has Netflix and prime apps but it doesn’t have ability to sideload other streaming apps unless it’s an android tv (iptv provider provided app/custom smarters/tivimate/ib pro player etc). That’s why most go for a fire stick/android device of some sort.

The stuff about letting scammers in/malware is just scare tactics. As you said the worst that will happen is someone will lost a few bob if service disappears but generally the person has saved far more unless they only recently signed up.

My service went offline recently after years of reliable service. Was up and running with an equivalent within a day or so. IPTV is going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Do they come to you with these stories, or are you researching this crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

-Not everyone has a "smart TV"

-Not all "smart TV's" support all applications being installed.

-Firestick is cheap.

-Firestick is mobile.

I believe, they are the main reasons there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

smart tvs that are not android or fire tv os are not very smart

Ive actually never tried to side load onto android or google TV. I must try… but ya can’t beat a firestick

I like the firestick meself and having then flexibility to move from point to point.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭User567363

Having said all that...

A destop pc pwns all that junk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Quitelife

For someone who doesn’t have a fire stick but might get one does Liverpool TV , Celtic TV be on it or is that too much to be looking for ?

My neighbour seems to watch racing TV and clubber for gaa but never got to see other stuff .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Absolute paranoia and propaganda from some folk here, Jesus.

To anyone who wants a short answer about being safe in this scenario: Get an android box. Install only the IPTV app from an app store, APK Mirror is best. Purchase a subscription and enter the login details in the IPTV app. Never log into or load any other apps if you're paranoid. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Going back a few years now and maybe even now, Phillips had their own OS that wasn't android based. It has Netflix, YouTube and a few players on it. A smart TV before they became common to come with android.

Prior to that flatscreens didn't have any apps on them at all and before that you'd need a forklift to move a 55 or 60 inch CRT.

There's no need to upgrade your tv to one with android etc if you have a fire stick.

You must be a young buck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

the apps on them systems would not be supported as long as on android - netflix stopped working on a lot of these non android tvs and the amount off apps you could use was very limited

• Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I wouldn't get a firestick now though. There are better android alternatives and there have been numerous rumours that amazon will upgrade their fire os to prevent sideloading.

But the underlying concept of a box/stick added to tv is sound, and as someone said above, just install the iptv app and away you go.

Well for starters, when I go on holiday or a business trip I bring my Firestick with me. It's configured to connect back into my server at home, so instead of being stuck with the sometimes limited selection of channels in the hotel, I've got my entire movie and series collection at my disposal.

Secondly, my two TV's are less "smart" TVs and more in the special needs category.

Cant see that happening. Sales would plummet. Why would they care what they were being used for.

• Advertisement

I realise that - again, another reason for use of a firestick. The TV itself is perfectly fine.

Advertisement