Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clampdown on TV 'Dodgy Boxes'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,967 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭dubrov

I seriously doubt it is a chipped box. More likely it is an Sat/Android box with a Sky skin on it running IPTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭animalinside

Based on your statements the amount you know in "IT" or computers wouldn't be enough to fit on a small envelope. Tell me what sort of work you do in IT, installations?

Registered January 2024, what happened there.

"From my home broadband on a 1GB connection I could probably give 100 customers IPTV if i wanted to. Its no different than the Amazon doorbell that you can access on your 4G or 5G mobile phone.

If I wanted to get a data center connection with 50 10GB links I could If i put my mind to it, data centers don't give a **** what your using it for, especially the dodgy ones!!!"

Statements like this and claiming to know something about IT, good joke.

My original posts already dealt with how and why it will be clamped down on and is already as irishgeo points out.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Murt2024

What point are you trying to make? Im an IT engineer with cisco and linux certs up to my eyeballs, you know they tried the pint glass on bottom right hand side of screen to target actual subscribers illegaly streaming and any decent IT person can bypass that in 5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 9,432 ✭✭✭irishgeo

That wasn't the aim of the pint glass.

The pint glass is shown on commercial pub subscriptions.

If you didn't have it that means you were using a home subscription in a commercial premises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,924 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭shmeee

Correct, and some TVs in Pubs now when they're not on Sky Sports, the bottom right corner is all pixelated 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I can get the pint glass on the bottom of the screen on the sports channels. You just ask your supplier.

If you upload a commercial tv show on youtube that you recorded yourself, it gets automatically taken down for copyright infringement by the algorithm. You can't simply mess about with a few pixels and the algorithm can't sense it, you have to dramatically change it making it almost unwatchable. At best it comes out looking something like this:

Notice all the nonsensical closeups, that's why they have to do it because otherwise it gets picked up as copyrighted. A lot of the videos also have a weird sound thing that apparently you can use software to take off that weird sound (might be a background noise or just the speech is a very strange pitch).

Your ISP can track anything you do, if using a VPN then they can track it all. As soon as you go online every place you go can be seen - of course https blocks the details of websites you go on.

I got a warning by my ISP recently for sharing a torrent file. They didn't want to give me that warning, they're required to by law. VPNs also have to abide by law. VPN are not your cool friends that got your back, they're in it for money and are dependent on the country to allow it to provide service and make money.

As I've stated before also nobody should want it to be too easy. If it's too easy everyone does it and shows get no budgets. Sports players and overpaid actors are one thing, if everyone does it all the smaller shows would be the ones affected the most and in many cases destroyed. Your idea of a dreamworld where it's so easy is like a child's idea of a credit card where you can keep purchasing and never have to pay anything. Grow a brain.

Just enjoy IPTV while you can and hope that there will be a way in future so that the less well off of us can watch the tv that we want in a reasonably satisfactory way while the people that can pay also do so.

Your ISP can track anything you do, if using a VPN then they can track it all

No they can't, there is a clue in the name.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Schorpio

You're ISP can't see a damn thing when you're connected to a VPN - only that you're connected to one. They have no way of knowing what data is being exchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I assume that they meant that your ISP can track anything you do and if you're connected to a VPN then your VPN can track anything you do.

Related question - if I am with Eir and I connect to a VPN, can Eir detect what VPN is being used? I know they won't see what I'm doing on the VPN, but I assume they know I'm on a VPN - if they can confirm which VPN it is, then you need to rely on your VPN not disclosing your traffic, right?

Your ISP knows what IP address you are connected to, all packets with your VPN are encrypted.

So what your ISP can know if it wants is what VPN server you are using, how long you are using them and what volume of traffic is going back and forth.

No provider is above law enforcement, although depending where they are hosted it can be tricky.

If for instance the FBI want to know what you are up to, they can get a "warrant" for it and force the VPN and ISP to hand over traffic logs. That's IF your VPN keeps a log history, many of them would be hosted in places that doesn't legally require it.

The ISP can't get the VPN to do anything and vice versa.

Considering there can be a 6 year plus wait to prosecute people who have downloaded or shared child abuse material and cases are in danger of been thrown out because of this, also our Gardaí "Tech" Division rely very heavily on international agencies. The idea they would have time or the will to go after people who are connecting to IPTV Servers is not realistic.

As for ISPs sending out copyright infringement letters, it's been years since I heard anyone getting one of those.

The reality is ISPs do not want to police the internet, unless it is self serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

I hooked up everything on Tuesday night, went down the Firestick route & plays perfectly for me.

Told the wife to get used to the UI & set her favorites, after about 15 mins I get called back into the sitting room. She's spent that length of time looking for this box everyone speaks of, thought she was going mad cause she couldn't find it.

Had to tell her it was just an app, she still didn't get it, still spent the night playing with it though, seems happy.

I watch most my sport on the laptop so went down the Bluestacks route, works perfectly, no more laggy streams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭jj880

Bluestacks. Never considered that. Must give that a shot on my PC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

windows smarters works quite well its on a lot of services or downloadable elsewhere

Exactly, I obviously meant your ISP and if you go on a VPN your VPN. You know a person has run out of arguments when they take to such semantic pedantry. You can use a VPN but they are able to view what you do. From an VPN provider themselves:

A virtual private network (VPN) prevents your internet service provider (ISP) from seeing what you do online. However, in doing this, it takes over routing your internet connection to the websites you visit, so it can monitor what you do on the internet instead of your ISP.

https://protonvpn.com/blog/can-vpn-see-internet-activity

All it would take is law enforcement to bring to their attention that such and such a provider is running illegal IPTV streams through their service by simply showing them the IPTV that's running through their platform, and they would be obliged to shut them off. Also keep in mind VPNs cost money, that's another €100 a year or so and also puts off less tech-savvy users. They programs they run on can use up computer resources, the internet is naturally slower as it has to reroute through the VPN now, all these things add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭dubrov

All your ISP can see is that you are connected to an IP. VPN providers have many IPs that change regularly. An ISP would have to spend a lot of time and effort to match the two and they wouldn't have legal certainty. There are plenty of legit reasons for VPN traffic.

The VPN provider can see what IP you ultimately connect to (but not the data assuming https). They could log this but that costs money and would kill their business if word got out. The Irish authorities could try to force them to log activity and share the data but you can guess what a VPN company located in another jurisdiction would say to that.

Even if based in Ireland, they would have no grounds to shut down the VPN. If that was true, the ISP would be shut down too as the traffic similarly goes through their network

Vpns also don't cost anywhere near 100 per year and use negligible resources.

I don't know people spread misinformation. It suggests an agenda

Express VPN is 96 euro a year. A VPN will slow down your Internet. Encryptiing anything takes resources.

The average Joe soap doesn't know what a VPN much less set one up.

The ISP don't police the Internet you are correct but they do enforce court orders which the Premier league have quite a few on ISPs in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure that original commercial court order has expired.

Either way it was next to useless. Probably why they didn't apply to extend it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Windscribe is about 20 a year and split tunnelling means it's only putting iptv traffic through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I have windscribe myself, does this mean it doesn't slow it down?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

all vpns will slow your connection down a bit , but if you have a good connection it will still play fine

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭forrestgeorge

Satellite card sharing is back on the menu boys.

Apparently the evolution of card sharing has been rolling out in the Spanish speaking world for some time and is now gaining ground in the rest of the world.

Viark decoders.

Now i don't have one, but research online look promising, anyone here know any more about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Satellite card sharing has never gone but providers using NDS and Icam have been in the black for sharing for years. The world doesn’t revolve around 28e and Sly. The money involved in getting a Viark receiver and the hassle that goes with it been open for a considerable time is only for satellite enthusiasts on a motor or multi lnb for a handful of sats.

Lots of money involved in a high risk server for a decent price.

Just my 2 cents

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭forrestgeorge

Word is the IPTV providers are using Viark to get their streams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭jj880

The ways that users of illegal streams can be tracked include:

1. IP address assigned to the user when they accessed the Server that enabled the audiovisual content to be shared unlawfully;

2. Name and surname of the holder of the Internet access service contract;

3. Postal address of the [internet] line installation and billing details; and

4. Identification document [NIF, NIE, other] regarding the information of the IP Address of the server to which you have connected, port of the server to which you have connected, and time of the request (GMT+0).

La Liga president Javier Tebas said that illegal stream users identified through the new court order will not be 'fined' but rather given 'damages' to pay because it is "illegal to consume this content for free."

https://www.sportbible.com/football/football-news/iptv-premier-league-fine-illegal-streaming-court-054217-20240505

Yeah I dont think so.

I can see your head in the sand.

The naivety of people who think they can't be tracked on the Internet. A VPN won't save you.

Whether a prosecution is made is a different matter but an Irish law of theft is being broken by every one who streams copyrighted content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

A few questions …

Are you sure it is "theft"? My understanding is that theft must deprive the owner of the item stolen. That is not the case here.

The only way a VPN will not save you is if your VPN provider logs details of your connection AND provides those details in answer to some enquiry. With VPNs operating out of various jurisdictions with different legal attitudes to such behaviour, it would be a very onerous task to chase up each user individually, IF they can get sufficient details to identify the user.

That seems highly unlikely. What percentage of users of such services do you believe will be taken to court for their actions?

EDIT to Add

I found the answer to the question of "theft". It is not theft. To receive a 'dodgy stream' falls under

Section 371 of Copyright and Related Rights Act, 2000 (or later) which says

Offence of unlawful reception.

371.—A person who receives a broadcast or cable programme to which rights protection measures have been applied, knowing or having reason to believe that it is being received unlawfully with the intent to avoid payment of any charge applied by the rightsowner for the reception of that broadcast or cable programme shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £1,500.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2000/act/28/section/371/enacted/en/html#sec371

Post edited by Johnboy1951 on

Advertisement