Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clampdown on TV 'Dodgy Boxes'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭jj880

Only 2 weeks ago I was talking to someone who wouldn't get a "dodgy box" for fear of illegality. Now he was around my age and not a technophobe by any means. Id wager the older you go the more you would see your scenario. As for rights Id say rights v cost is the obvious balance. 2 years now for me so far with maybe a couple days downtime. If my provider disappeared in the morning Id chance another. All guesswork of course. Not like we can point to some stats / surveys to back up our surmising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Watching the Olympics on RTE on my fire stick.

I was watching on the rte player but it kept buffering and the picture is sh1t.

Working perfectly on the fire stick.

I have to pay rte a licence fee to watch their crap player that never works properly, never mind financing their barter payments they pay to some of their staff.

Freeloading scum.

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/rte-sent-dozens-of-132-boxes-of-macarons-to-advertisers-on-same-day-as-725m-public-bailout/a1387442378.html

Each macaron had an RTÉ logo imprinted on the shell. They were sent out on Wednesday, while the Coalition was signing off on an unprecedented three-year multi-annual public funding of €725m.

The €160 TV licence for every household was also retained.

The anecdote about the queen of France during the French revolution is cited as an example of an elite being oblivious of the daily lives of ordinary people.

RTÉ says the timing of the gifts had “no connection to the funding announcement” and was a “thank you for your support of RTÉ’s Olympics coverage”.

Remember RTÉ are socially acceptable freeloading scum. Social contract and laws are for us mugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭rodders999

My 2 year contract with eir is up next week. Been bullet proof with the fire stick and the work from home but the price crept up from €50 a month to €62 per month so it’s good night from me.

Any providers a “bandit” should avoid? I don’t want to tempt fate just as the football season is about to start. Does any provider throttle IPTV streaming?

Sky doing 1mb for €30 a month which would be a serious saving for me but just wondering if there could be any negative consequences to my IPTV - especially from them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭DopeTech

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Scottie99

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭rodders999

Nice one! Think I’ll take the plunge at that price. (1GB I should have said - reckon I’d struggle on a mb 😉)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Most people pay with regular PayPal,Revolut or Debit/Credit cards. These are surely way more straightforward for the law to trace than other methods...if they ever wanted to go down this route but they simply don't have the resources to go after and successfully prosecute individuals. It's not just Garda time that gets tied up, it's everyone in the chain. It is far more beneficial to go after the providers from a rights owners perspective.

There are literally dozens of more important laws in this country that aren't being enforced so I don't see how this one suddenly goes up the priorities list.

Be tough to beat that price. I went for 500Mb from digiweb for 35 per month and cant complain. Football matches not a problem. They have a generous package of VOIP minutes inlcuded to Ireland and UK landline + mobiles which I needed so might be worth a look if you need similar and its not included with Sky.

I do recall some Sky Broadband customers having throttling issues on this thread maybe 6/12 months ago. Maybe theyve been resolved since.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭dubguy45

What are Digiweb like to deal with. Asked them a couple of questions on Facebook and never got an answer. Cheers.

• Advertisement

They seem very responsive. I contacted them via sales@digiweb.ie and always got a reply before joining. I had a query on landline number porting after joining via support@digiweb.ie and they were back to me right away to resolve. Not sure what router Sky provide but digiweb offer a very nice Fritz!box AX router with all fibre packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

My provider doesn't run it through a VPN. If I don't use my own VPN, it wont load during a premiership match. Turn on my VPN and all is good.

I've sky. Afaik it's a high court ruling to block known streams during matches with all isp.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭dubguy45

Appreciate the reply, thank you. I will call them tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭dubrov

It might be worth considering switching provider if they are being blocked by the ISP. It means their IP/domain is known so much greater chance they could be abruptly shutdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭FazyLucker

"Dues to society". Should we be charging the Murdoch family for their "dues to society" and democracy by giving a meglomaniac the biggest soap box known to man?

Also, my friends service works perfectly with NordVPN and not without it. And to claim you need to be "Techy" to set up a VPN is also nonsense. An idiot could set one up.

Also, the belief that this hasn't impacted the TV companies in the least is misguided at best. They rely on TV revenue and combined with the fact that not as many people sit through 90+ minutes of football (teenagers especially) matches mean their bottom line is undoubtedly being impacted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

On that point re. TV's income being impacted. How many people who use dodgy services would pay full cost to Sky if the service was gone. Very few I'd wager. So is it lost income to the tv companies? Not sure…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…illegal viewing of copyrighted tv has always existed, and with numbers dramatically increasing over the years, broadcasters such as sky seem to be doing just fine…..

…thats a bit strange to say the least!

I paid to Sky for 10+ years and don't any longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…plenty of pubs using the 'alternatives' to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭endainoz

Very hard to see a game in a pub now that isn't in a city. People don't generally go out for matches anymore. Not where I live anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Funny, there's a podcast that was recommended in this thread called the pirates versus the Premier league. They've randomly added a new episode called "last orders: is football's love affair with the pub over?" in the last week or so. Haven't listened to yet.

Link is here:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

The young folks of today aren't into football as much. Rare you see a pub jammed on a Sunday for a game nowadays

Theyre more interested in nose pints and UFC practice outside pubs these days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Agreed with Nowso there, 8 cans for €15 and the match on the tv in the comfort of your own home or €7 a pint to watch it in a half empty pub on a crappy tv from the early 00's. Seems us young folks are making the sensible choice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

If your getting 8 cans of decent stuff for 15 quid these days you are doing well!! But I'd agree. I wouldn't dream of going to a boozer anymore to look at a match. 70 quid gone easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Gary_dunne

"Decent" is very subjective. I'm a Carlsberg drinker (always have been). Have tried basically every larger that comes on to the market and yet to find one that I enjoy even half as much. No one else seems to agree with me but it helps my wallet stay that slightly bit heavier.

I have still gone to pubs for a big match like the FA Cup final as they're more of an occasion but as you said 70quid to watch Manchester United vs Brentford, no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Butson

Sport should always be a communal thing, but people are just priced out of it now in pubs. Most people I know now either go to the games themselves, or watch at home via other means.

Advertisement