Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2023 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Stop I know, I was going to bed and heard the whine and said to my husband there is a mozzie in here and he didn't believe me!

Had the light on and off for about 20 mins until I finally managed to killed it and each time it was trying to land on me!

Little s**t got me good with two bites.

Now I have to say Gonzo, I wouldnt usually have much of a problem with them in Ireland, but eating me alive at moment, mine are all very itchy, worst one is right on middle of my foot soooooo painfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

The one in my room went nuts after I switched off the light and quiet again whenever I switched the light back on. Turned on the torch on my phone and got him easy then bopping against the ceiling. I don’t remember one ever being in my house before but that’s 2 nights this week one was in my room.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Robwindstorm

I have to agree fully with you there Gonzo. A memorable spell of weather especially for us in Meath that missed out on most of June's warm weather. And to cap it off we had an intense little thunderstorm just north of kells where the little one was at football practice this evening. Weekend not bad either, I'm having a bulmers on ice to celebrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

I'd be more inclined to think the UHI effect is more the cause as most of the recent records have been set within the ever sprawling urbanisation and suburbanisation of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Today's max

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Have to say I'm one of the lucky ones that would never get a bite. I don't know if there is any science behind it, but I've heard it 'urban legend' style that some folk are prone to bites while the critters avoid other people. I've been in Spain a few times and having a meal out or beside the pool and herself would be 'ate alive' while I'd be grand. All the kids the same as me barring the eldest one, who'd be ate too.

Malin replaced by Roches for the wooden spoon today.

Oh it'd definitely true, they love some people and not others.

I blame my husband for the fact the mozzies now love me.

Never used to get bitten, he was always prone to them. One year we went away and he was getting eaten alive so he plastered himself in DEET spray so they started biting me instead!

We were nearly fighting over the last of spray by the end of holiday😂.

Ever since then they love me aswell🤨

• Advertisement

Have never had any extended stay in Sligo city, but curious of the weather reporting you post here Paul. It seems yea get it fairly poor around those parts. Looking at the geographical layout of the area I would have expected that being surrounded by land on three sides the sea influence would be alot more reduced compared to other coastal locations around the UK and Ireland.

Sligo on paper should be an Irish version of Liverpool going by the topography. Perhaps not as warm in the summer, but similar otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's uncomfortably warm tonight. I can't wait for the cooler temperatures next week. I don't know if it's me getting older or what but my tolerance for heat has diminished in the last couple of years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

For Dunsany that really is record breaking stuff, over 2C higher than the previous record maximum September temperature here and it felt every bit of it.

Fingers crossed we get another spell just like this next year but in the 2nd or 3th week of July instead, but I bet either cloud or onshore winds will be in force but today was solid blue skies no matter how high the temperature went and no evidence of any onshore breezes inland.

This spell also goes to show that for Meath at least, we need the seas to warm up considerably to tap into proper warmth and this doesnt happen till end of June or start of July. Setups just as this mainly go to waste in eastern areas during May and much of June because the onshore breezes are far too chilly and penetrate well inland, sometimes into the midlands even.

I reckon if this spell had happened a week earlier we would have bagged a September 29C with the exact same setup as today given the extra daylight and slightly earlier timeframe which makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Divine evening. Was at Ireland u21 match in Turner's Cross in shorts and t-shirt. Left ground at 10pm and was, frankly, overly warm dressed like that. Usually when you sit at a nighttime match you get cold after a while no matter what. No chance tonight. The two goals in the 87th and 96th minute to turn a loss into a win helped the mood too mind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I was at a beach opposite Roches Point in Cork Harbour. On my beach it was 25/26c. Roches Point, about 10km away across the harbour, was in the teens. Crazy localised mist to blame.

This pic I took sort of shows it. Roches Point is somewhere behind that bank of mist....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Interestingly it was 19°c at 10pm at Dublin Airport, it climbed to 21°c at 11pm and has remained there since. Slight southwesterly kicking in.

Great picture and really shows how the sea fog can just roll in and make it a totally different day for some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Normal service resumed here in Castlebar this morning. Cloudy with outbreaks of rain/drizzle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭4Ad

A cool 18 degrees in East Clare, I had a slight drizzle that cleared quickly..I drove 2 miles and not a drop of rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

So humid in Cork City, sun starting to break through the clouds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Very warm and sunny here in Meath, Dunsany has 3c headstart on yesterday at 8am even though today is not meant to be as hot. Cloud cover later can change all that of course.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Drove down from Kerry to Cork this morning, very foggy en route from the County Bounds but lifted in the city, certainly feeling very humid here this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Kutebride

True blue skies in Meath (for how long more)

Grass is drenched though..

21⁰ Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Blue skies, warm, and very humid in West Dublin. Everything is damp. Grass is very wet still, and the patio is still wet from when the flowers were watered at 9pm last night. Perfect conditions for the plague of mosquitos.

Hopefully the grass dries out enough for a cut before the rain arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sligos weather very hard to figure out. Sligo town and strandhill and Markree can all be different on the same day. Often on hot days the clouds build over the mountains and blot out the sun but Strandhill can be cloudless and Markree thunderstorms.

Today Summer has returned. Constant drizzle now. Was this forecast by Met Eireann yesterday. Probably bur can't remember seeing it. I thought it was breaking Monday

Infrared showing some rain in the West. Could be a long day here with soakings of light drizzle non stop. South and East will get to 26c though and 19 to 21c up here if bright spells happen between the mist and drizzle

This app says its 22c here right now but its 19c but the rain bit is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I took a stroll around The Lough last night. It was starting to get dusky by the time I got there, but it was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

beaut day here near Trim! Full sun and blue skies…. Out to the garden before the weather disappears. Weather station reading 29.3 as the sun goes past it at this time of day!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another beautiful day here in Meath and almost 24C. I guess today really is the last of it normal service will resume from either later tomorrow or early Monday. A 9 to 10 day warm to hot and dry spell in the first half of September is about as good as it gets for Septembers. For us in the east this has easily been the best spell of weather since summer 2022.

Advertisement