Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Thunder in South Leitrim. Warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I can still hear it from carrick moved over to bollocks and more now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Fantastic imagery in England plenty of updrafts in it and fork lightning 🌩

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think todays thunderstorm potential is a bit of a busted flush for much of Ireland, however there is some action towards the south-west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Actually turned out a grand day in South Wicklow, a few light showers but still spent most of the day outdoors. A slow moving heavy band moving our way on the radar now but at least we got the day out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Was out once today and it felt like I could almost taste the moisture in the air. Great spell of weather at a great time. Might be a lively month ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well we got thunder in end in NCD but no lighting.

Headed out to Howth later on in afternoon we timed it well, we were inside having a lovely meal while the heavens open.

Then it dried up enough for a nice walk around the harbour. It was misty but lovely and warm.

The seals came to say hello👋

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

A nice enough day in Tralee. Got out for a lovely walk late morning while the continental heat was still around. Still around early afternoon as I as able to sit out in the garden to prepare school work as I've had the luxury to be able to do throughout this amazing week. But by 4PM very dark clouds had rolled in and the air was noticeably cooler. Needing a cardigan, needing runners as opposed to flip flops. Even the cat abandoned her post under the bushes and wanted to go inside and at that point you just knew it was over.😔 No rain at all though, just a very overcast blanket [like we've had all summer] and chillier temps. Ah well! It really was great while it lasted and who knows, this may not be the total end of it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

My cat is devastated today. She spent the week lying full stretch in the sunshine, moving around the house as the shade encroached on her spot. It was an awful shock to her when the rain started at 11 o'clock this morning. She spent the day sitting on a kitchen chair, staring forlornly out the sliding doors. She went to bed as soon as I closed the blind at 8pm - disgusted with the weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Aww, that's sweet the way you describe your cat who obviously loved the hot weather.😍 Mine is an out and out little paddy [she's even ginger] Can't take all that sun and heat and is adept at finding the coolest spots well in under thick bushes, she'll avoid the house in a heatwave as she finds it too hot. She doesn't like rain and cold either though and her wanting to come in was a sure sign that normal service is on the way back. Little animals will tell you the correct forecast if you learn to read the signs.

• Advertisement

The last night in shorts and lycra t-shirt going around the house until 2024 I'd say☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

You would never think there could be so much heat in the sun this time of year...we never feel it sure with the usual weather we get...I suppose all you need is a bit of warm air we can even get 25 degrees in october

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

The sun didn't actually feel particularly warm though the past week, at least to me anyway. Even on Sat where it was 26c in Cork and I was out in it all day, you never felt like you were being roasted like you would mid summer in that kind of heat. Very warm air alright but the sunshine didn't feel strong to me.

I felt the sun very strongly on Friday. I was near Oak Park and the 28.5c and it felt like mid summer. The angle was around 43° as opposed to 60° around 21 June. So kinda like a midsummer's day at 4.30pm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The exceptional spell of weather is well and truly over today and the Atlantic muck has rolled back in. Thankfully this time next week i'll be boarding a plane to Malaga to get one last blast of summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Yes pure rubbish out there now. I envy you going to Malaga next week Gonzo but do enjoy. Hopefully when you’re back our weather will improve again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Today's weather is beautiful.

My garden needs it and I need it. Can't wait for a comfortable sleep tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

It can feel like that even in july...all you have to do is get out of the breeze/wind and even 18 degrees can feel like 25 degrees...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

If the rest of September is average or slightly below 2021 record will hold. Any warm spell between now and the 30th will mean 2023 is the new record holder. A lot of average conditions this week but storms in week 3 might pull up warm air after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Comfortable, no heat, humidity or sweat. The models did well with this breakdown . Last weekend, September 11th was starting to show as the end of the heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I found last night quite warm, RTE were saying it was 20c at midnight in Dublin.

Spent Sat and Sun in Sligo, was nice and warm, I was surfing and never felt the Atlantic in Ireland so warm, you could probably get away with no wetsuit. Next time it'll be back to the usual horror of falling around in the cold trying to get into wet neoprene.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

What a horrible day out there in Longford! Cool and drizzly all day with humidity close to 100% all day, the most humid it's been during the day in a while. I've the stove lit as the room had dropped below 22°. 23.9° in the room now but air is still quite damp, with humidity at 74% so hopefully the fire can dry it out again but at least it's warm enough for just a T-shirt now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Depressing day, drizzle and drizzle and more heavy drizzle.

16⁰ Meath

Just spent the day in Dublin doing some shopping and it was absolutely miserable, never stopped raining all day, heavy at times but mostly that heavy misty drizzle rain that really soaks you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

An awful day. Came in from work wet and cold. Miserable, cold, dull, rain. But it is Septempber now - hard to believe though, that we had many just as bad and worse in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

I have to say, I haven't felt the cold that the rest of you did today.

Now with work and kids barely outside but certainly the building have kept their heat today.

I'm sure it won't last!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'll still be in the shorts for another week or two but I can't see myself leaving the house in flip flops again for another few months after today. Good grief, it was miserable. 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

Wasn't too bad in Cork today, rain on and off but nothing too heavy and the sun actually made an appearance. Got up to a max of 21C.

I still felt warm enough today at 17c. Serious residual heat still in the house.

• Advertisement

The FI is looking unsettled. Youd hope for 5 or 6 days of 18-21c and pleasant days before September is out.

Advertisement