Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Be thankful for constant rain, constant grey skies, constantly being unable to enjoy the outdoors unless you're one of the few who actually "enjoy" outdoor pursuits swathed in rain gear with zero visibility!! And what of all the people whose homes and businesses are constantly at flooding risk due to constant high rainfall. Tell them they should be thankful they don't live in an earthquake zone 😏

There are also many people in this country with mental health and alcohol problems exacerbated by our miserable climate. Tell them they should be thankful!

The fact is while there is always worse in every situation, there is also a hell of a lot better. And climate wise there are so many places around the entire world better than here.

I remember you being on here almost every day during that short 9 day fine spell earlier this month complaining about the heat and beautiful weather. So you are obviously one of the minority, I would imagine, who prefers inclement to clement weather. Good for you as inclement is the default in Ireland, so you are in the right place [as long as your house or business is not in flood danger].

But please back off those of us who, for all sorts of reasons, find this country's climate unendurable!😡

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Under no warning in Galway but we had unreal rain roads around City flooded

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A wet morning in Greystones. 4.6mm so far. Have just reached a 200.0mm total for the month!

7.5mm recorded so far in Galway at my station

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

September 2022 was the wettest September since 1976 for Dublin Airport with 127.9mm.

2023 is nearing this total with 123.0mm to 29th and 0.4mm as of 1200.

Two very wet Septembers in a row. Didn't anticipate it being this wet at the start! A lot of energy into those warm sea temps (relative to norm)..

Despite being very wet though, it was the sunniest here since 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Never said I liked poor weather like today's weather. I don't like heat. A day like today is miserable for sure, dull and wet. My favourite weather is cold spells, frost and snow, though don't know if I would like to live in a country that had snow all winter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Moderate with some spells of heavy rain cleared here near Tralee, exceptionally dull morning but now with clouds starting to lighten a bit, hopefully open up some in the afternoon.

15.1C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Jesus what a bit of whinging and pontificating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ah here...that is an absolutely stunning picture Sryan. Superb. You have an amazing gift and you know where to be to capture the killer shot too. A prize winning photo if ever I saw one. I am doing a lot of night walks lately and the moon has been gorgeous lately. Thanks for sharing.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Brilliant picture

• Advertisement

With regards to the sunniest since 2012, I suppose the best weather was the first 10 days, when day length was greatest.

Yes the first week of September 2012 was lovely here in the east. Dublin had at least 6 hours of sun everyday from the 1st-8th. Even when it turned much more unsettled though, it stayed sunny at times relative to average. Most (if they do in the first place) will remember that month more for the deluge later on the 24th/25th.

Was it 2011 that the UK nearly hit 30c on 1st October? Danno's Station had a 24/25c late September.

Indeed. The highest official Ireland temp from then was 25.6C at Phoenix Park on 28th Sep, highest since 1906. Rain came on the 30th and brought a deluge though Dublin would reach again 20C on 3rd October, believe Dún Laoghaire had 22C that day in a bit of a foehn effect.

That historic warm day on 1st October though was a bit frustrating in England. It was 0.1C off 30C with 29.9C and it ruined the well-known pub quiz question of when was the October temperature record set in March? (a town in Cambridgeshire)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭yagan

Day for ducks around cork today.

Lived in a part of Oz where it didn't rain for for seven months, never knew how much I missed it until those first few drops.

I'm glad to be back in our climate, but made sure we have a home that gets plenty of south facing light.

It has been an awful few months though, especially the constant weekend washouts. I wanted to get more done in the garden but I've given up on any big projects now until next spring, which hopefully won't be a repeat of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I remember being in Brockwell Park in South London this weekend in 2011 and it was 29c or so. Miserable af in Dublin now. It really feels like we've had such a miserable run of weather so many bad days in Dublin, it feels like it's not usually this bad every year.

Met says it will be 17c overnight in Dublin, pretty bloody warm for night temps.

Whinging and pontificating?

So you deny that there are many people in this country whose homes and livelihoods have been destroyed by flooding due to the extremely high rainfall? And many have to live with that threat on an ongoing basis. I would imagine quite a few in your own county if your user name tells where you're from.

And do you deny that there is a proven link between alcoholism, some mental health conditions and inclement climates?

You are free to have your own views about the Irish climate but dismissing a posters' views as "whingeing and pontificating" is hardly civil. Best to keep your thoughts to yourself if that's the best you can do.

Building on floodplains was never a good idea.

Ah will you stop. Do you deny, do you deny... That's a Junior infant argument and rhetoric. Your initial response to Bill was a whataboutery whinge. Agree to disagree.

And this concerns you how?

Actually I had no discussion at all with that poster who brought up about "whinging and pontificating."

My first post was to articulate my dissatisfaction with this climate. Another poster decided to take issue and respond, implying that I shouldn't be complaining and that we should be thankful. I would consider that pontificating. So I rebutted that poster's viewpoint. Now more posters are jumping on it. I really don't understand why posters just can't leave other posters alone and respect their views even if they disagree.

Anyway I think the climate in this country is just dire, that's my viewpoint and I rest my case there. A bit silly to derail the thread just because a poster annoys you. Just don't read their posts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

You really don't understand the term "take issue". Bill did a simple reply and you threw the toys out of the pram. Good luck with that. Baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

October one of my favourite months of the year.

The problem with a long weekend break to sunny climes is that it's too short and before you know it you're back to the muck and crap and tolerating it even worse than before. A bit like how in summer, if we get a few good days respite, we hate the rain even more when it comes back, but at least we haven't had the trouble and expense of a 2-3 hour flight and all the organising it entails.

I was off this Friday and had toyed with the possibility of heading to Spain for a long weekend but decided against it for the above reasons. Mind you I half regret it as the weather was never worse here and never better in Spain. I'll be going at Haloween but I'm getting 9 days out of it which is a decent stretch. Haloween is late in the year though and you could be unlucky enough to get similar to Irish bad summer weather at that stage, but fingers crossed. We all do whatever helps us endure the climate here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

A rotten day here in NCD so glad we had our Zoo day yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Desperate day. Home since last Sunday we’ve had 3 absolutely atrocious days 1 very meh day and 3 okish autumn days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Feels really warm for this time of year outside now in D5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Went to Dublin for the day and when I left Leitrim this morning it was 12c then I walk out of ikea this evening and it's 16c feels very close tonight but hey I ain't complaining will save on the feckin heating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Stunning morning here in NCD, looking like a lovely day again like Friday.

Advertisement