Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Lovely day. Looks like we could be getting weather in the 20s next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah lovely morning and you can still feel the heat in the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Overcast, breezy, and damp still in Lucan. Hoping it brightens and dries up soon. Would love another day like Friday.

Are the warm temps next weekend to accompanied by dry weather? If not I'd prefer it to stay cool. Warm and wet is the worst combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Warm and dry especially in eastern half of the country.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Lovely day in Greystones for October 1st. 20.0c at the moment.

• Advertisement

19c Portlaoise. Lovely. A month of this would shorten the winter.

Went out to Maynooth for the day and it has turned out lovely thankfully. Great to have a nice day at the weekend. There is warmth in the sunshine, but nothing drying out if it's in the shade. Still a lot of puddles around.

I won't get back to cut the grass until late - will it stay dry tomorrow and/or Tue in Dublin do we think?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Gorgeous day in Galway. Lovely sea swim even though I cheated with the wetsuit. Some nice waves.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

coming into the reliable now, I think the 25.2c record that has stood for 115 years will go now, Phoenix Park has to be the favourite.

• Advertisement

One last day for the beach! When in Laois, the only county that doesn't touch a county that touches the sea, going to the beach is a day trip😊

The latest I went to the seaside was 11th October 2007. I went to Curracloe, Wexford and it was 20c and pleasant, the water lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

Drove from Belfast to Cork today, the car was reading between 18C and 20C the whole way.

What was very surprising was the number of insects that hit my windscreen from Laois down!

We are absolutely invaded by mosquitos. They seem to love this weather. I have killed nearly 30 of them this evening. It's horrendous. Never saw the like before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

We were saying the same here near Tralee, quite a few flies around today, fella walking across the screen just now 😀. Was out walking along the coast.... 1st Oct with shirt sleeves rolled up! Got up to 17.8C at my station, similar yesterday.

Mostly clear skies with just some light cloud which showed up well on the Sat Pic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Ditto in Greystones....walking along the coast in T-shirts and at that, felt warm. Nice 99 after! High of 21.7c.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Beautiful day after the rain fest yesterday. North Burren.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well you all have me to thank for this good spell of weather.

I have spent the last week traispring up and down the attic putting away mine and the kids summer clothes and taking down all the winter clothes, so of course in Irish style the nice weather comes now😉.

You need to get ahead of them and have all the windows and doors closed by dusk, that's the key, easier to do at this time of year as it's chilly anyway at night so you would want your windows closed.

I was cleaning the car this evening before dusk and 5 of them got in before I squashed them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yes I saw a load of Mossies out in the garden this evening, funny thing is they don't bother me at all unlike their French cousins who are really nasty!

They ate me alive during the heatwave we had, at the height of it I had 9 bites, never happened to me to that extent before in Ireland.

• Advertisement

I am usually very careful about closing windows early - more so to avoid daddy long legs which terrify me. It was 7pm closing the patio doors this evening as the cat was missing, and they had invaded by then. No lights on at that stage, but they were still attracted inside. I'm nearing 50 squashed now at this stage. My flip flop is seeing great action!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

A fine sunny day in Strandhill. Not in Sligo town though. Frequent showers here.

Ah here do we have mozzies in Ireland now? I always said it's one of the great things about here that you don't have to deal with then. Used to drive me proper mental when living abroad I can't sleep in a room with one.

I might be wrong but I don't think they are the same as the nasty mosquitos you get in hotter countries. Here they are more like large gnats that do bite and leave a bit of a hive. Not half as itchy or oozing as foreign mosquito bites. They are much easier to see and kill here. Like mosquitos they are especially active at night. We also have the tiny black "midgees" that swarm and can leave you with loads of lumps.

it's the buzzing around your ears during the night that drives me mental, the bites I can deal with

I find Irish mosquitoes every bit as bad as those found across Europe. They're generally the same species too, Culex pipiens - though there are a couple of other species emerging in the Med. And I have never experienced swarms of mosquitoes in Europe like I have here last night and this morning! This upcoming mild spell is not going to help. I'm now eagerly anticipating a cold spell to finish them off.

Overcast and cool today in North Kildare. Dry, but not enough to dry the grass out yet. Hopefully I get a chance to cut it this evening.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Heard a mossy in my bedroom last night, not sure if it's an Irish or a Spanish one as I could have had a few in my suitcase coming back from Spain but it definitely had that distinctive high pitched sound close to my ear last night.

You will often get a few Irish mozzies (or gnats) when it's warm and humid. If you live close to water or bog or marshy land, they will thrive and usually come into the house towards evening. Even a pond in your garden is perfect for them. Check your ceilings before you go to bed. They are easy spot and easy kill. The Med mosquitos are a different enemy, they are like ghosts but even one can destroy you and they know how to find the sensitive areas. Luckily Irish mosquitos don't carry disease.

Trust me the mozzies here in North County Dublin are every bit as bad as the ones abroad.

Thankfully they don't carry diseases but the bites are the same on me.

Another mild day, hard to believe its October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Coolish and very grey in Dublin City Centre today. Yesterday was a smashing day and so welcome.

what’s the story with the weekend weather upcoming? The tabloids running with Indian summer and high temps!

Advertisement