Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I cut the grass a couple of days ago. I have a feeling it won't be the last cut of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭yagan

Few remember 96 when we really didn't have a summer. I think it struggled to get into the 20s for a couple of days in August. I just remember needing a raincoat all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Awful day today heavy driving rain and windy. That nice day on Saturday will be most welcome but the more I hear the weekend being “bigged” the more apprehensive I become…..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think we have to be clear that this weekend isn't going to be wall to wall sunshine at least here in Ireland, I think there will be alot of cloud around but hopefully some sunny breaks too. No doubt central and SE England will have unbroken gin blue skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I'm new to gardening this year - never had a lawn before. When typically is the last cut of the year?

• Advertisement

James Madden, Inexacta Weather, had one yesterday.

I was draining land, picking stones. A very cool one. There were a few days around 21 June. Shannon reached 27c. A week in July. A few days early September not bad. After 1995 everyone was waiting for it to 'take up'.

June Bank Hol weekend was really cold. August so dull.

Speaking of an Indian Summer.. will that go too. As an Indian Summer has to be after the first air frost, technically, and we're not getting much frost late September/October 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Depends on a range of factors, the weather obviously foremost, but also how freely your ground drains, where in the country you are. Would generally say early to mid October. It can sometimes be possible to give the lawn a tidy up cut over the winter but ud need to have soil that drains well and a decent dry spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

This alleged Heat Plume, Indian summer craic.

Been keeping eye on Met Eireann site for carrigaline and Cork over the weekend. Maybe they didnt get the memo :D .. Its pretty much 15/16 deg and Cloud, thats it for us it seems. And more rain tomorrow.

Barbecue canceled .. Umbrella's & patio chairs staying in the shed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭yagan

New to gardening in the last few years too. Last year loads of growth so had to cut it three times in May alone, then no cutting when we had that scorching August.

This year managed to cut twice in February and then too damp til the end of May. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

Got a cut in yesterday so I reckon I'm done now.

Grass will stay growing once soil temps are over 6C. Daylight and the level of warmth effect it's growth. You'll notice grass in November and December being yellow and green due to the lack of light and if temps go up and down with the odd frost.

It takes a prolonged cold spell with below zero temps at night (maybe by day) to give the brown burnt grass effects. A lot of urban gardens have been growing a small bit all winter for many years. Horticulturists etc say you're better off with flowers and grass killed off by frost and cold, and a fresh growth to come in Spring. Otherwise it can result in certain flowers, like pansies etc, being diseased.

From a farming point of view the worst type of weather in December\January for housed cattle is damp, foggy, calm mild 13c night and day weather. The cattle start to cough and get all sorts of respiratory illness, which thrive in those temps. You have to ventilate as best you can. Good frosty, hardy weather is preferred. Again, it's becoming rare. Back in the 70s and 80s we always seemed to have 10-14 days of frost with nice sunny days. And spells like that throughout the winter. I hate the sight of yellowy green grass!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Once we get it reasonably nice and dry I'll be happy. Wall to wall sun and big temps for 2 or 3 days this late in the year isn't much use, we wanted that in summer. Apart from Sunday and Monday which were nice, this week has been poor in Tralee and today was horrible.

It's a lot of use if you're working outdoors from 8am to 6pm😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Michelle Dillon has just said ‘possibly mid twenties’ on the forecast after the news.

said the word ‘exceptional’ too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Kutebride

The rain cleared in Meath at 230pm and from 530 it was just wintry. Manky rain and blustery. Think the precip stopped around 8pm and its a mild 16⁰ now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Very mild out 16c here in carrick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Got to 18c in Sligo today 19c tomorrow and 21c Saturday and Sunday. Maybe a 20c Monday. Crazy sort of weather for October. If it doesn't cool down in Winter Spain will be 50c next Summer.

It could go 25c in Pheonix Park Saturday or Sunday. Too cloudy in West but with any sun wouldn't be too surprised to see a 23c in Newport or Claremorris. UK weather has a lot of cloud out to sea and hazy sun over much of Ireland.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Tropical feel to the air this morning in Greystones. 18.7c atm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mild and murky here in Tralee, 17C ,low temperature range, got up to 17.8C yesterday and possibly a bit more today. Very humid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's very mild indeed. Nice to get to mid Oct without having to turn on the heat or light the stove.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rain all day yesterday and raining now. Ground is soaking. Mild.

Leitrim

So listening to Alan of Carlow weather on Newstalk at around 10am. Looks like for most it will get warmer tomorrow on for a few days - over 20 deg but it will be lots of cloud. So I imagine sweaty, humid heat will be our late short unexpected summery weather in October

Highest temp we will get to here in Carrigaline and I would imagine same in Cork is what it is now - 17deg ( according to Met.ie over next few days ). Not exactly baking it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Met have 17 but other places like BBC have 20-21 for Cork so it remains to be seen 🙂 either way high teens for Oct is pretty decent.

Yes @mcburns07 .. I am really taking the Pee out of the likes of Joe.ie and corkbeo and the like bigging up this "event" .. hotter than malaga craic. And also making it a bigger event than it is. I agree high teens for Oct is pretty decent, but not much fun under cloud. But no real change here .. though wet all week its not been very far from 16/17 here anyway.

I was looking forward to a few days of clear skys and mid 20s and the novelty of putting out the garden seats and parosols in October :D .. looks like not the case now though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Trying to see when rain is going to stop but Sat is all cloud so hard to see the rain. Met Eireanns radar isn't fit for purpose yet but shows this

From that I'd guess its misting everywhere North of Galway in the West.

GFS and Icon show this currently which is a more accurate reflection

GFS has it clearing at 2 from Sligo ICON at 6.

I am not so sure with mine. It's growing fairly quickly again. I have had enough of cutting it for this year, so I won't be sorry when the growth starts to slow down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very mild today here in Meath but wall to wall cloud, I'm not expecting much in the way of sunshine with this warm spell but hopefully the sun will break through at times over the weekend. The sun at this time of the year does not have the power to burn off the cloud like it does in June or July.

Personally I'd prefer it to be cold and dry over it being mild and wet, even if that means i have to put on some heat at night. It has been cloudy and wet since Wednesday afternoon now. I hope these past few days are not a preview of winter is going to be like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah me too, I'd prefer a large high sitting right on top of us and loads of bluebird skies. Especially around Xmas.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement