Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

True. Hopefully the pitch will have dried out. And the Scots looking like some snow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That's crazy. I didn't think that was possible in January. The highest I ever remember was close to 16c way back in the 90s.

Around the 10th January 1998 was mad weather Nacho. I remember being in Kerry having to take a jumper off and being in a tshirt. And you know the way the sun is low now at 30 degrees, it was at 16 degrees or so above the horizon!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

1995 is the overall king as far as the actual summer is concerned. The warmest and driest on national record with our hottest ever month August 1995. It didn't have the prolonged nature of 1959 lasting for half the year but the core summer was exceptional and is why it's remembered very fondly by people (justifiably so). The Leaving Cert in 1995 also coincided with the worst part of the summer which was rather cool but still dry and finished when the heatwave at the end of June was beginning. Then the rest is history.

1976 was broken into two spells - first was mid-June to mid-July which was exceptionally hot and mid-August which was very sunny and persistently very warm without extremely high temperatures. Inbetween was a more changeable, cooler period with even some frost early in August. This summer is most well-known for the June/July heatwave and drought which had been ongoing for the good part of a year and a half.

1959 wasn't overall record-breaking aside from the sun but its persistence was what was most exceptional about it starting in the spring and going well into the autumn. Your closest sun recording station... Valentia had 977.7 hrs (an avg of 6.3 hrs per day) of sunshine from May to September 1959. A standard May to September there would expect around only 745 hrs (an avg of 4.9 hrs per day).

I know this year doesn't rate with them but I loved 2003.

March 8th on lovely days, 15-18c with sunshine.

April some lovely weather, around 22c 6th April. Easter lead up pleasant and sunny, 21c or so.

May not too good. June some lovely weather 16th June on and when we hosted the Special Olympics.

July poor. August exceptional. 1mm of rain or so in Kilkenny. Very warm around 6-11 August. UK breaking temperature records.

September lovely. Mid 20s mid month. Lots of pleasant weather.

October. Started off very pleasant. Then 2 days of mad thunder and lightning with lying hail at times, mid month. Wet in the west with a landslide at a windfarm.

An interesting year with pleasant spells in Spring and Autumn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

A great summary of the three standout summers, thanks a million Sryanbruen!

I well remember 1995. I was living in Dublin then and that summer I discovered Portmarnock beach and it became my hangout for long, lazy, warm days. I even remember the 1st June that year being a blustery grey day and a few of us shivering on the sidelines of some north facing football pitch cheering on a school team and all agreeing that we were in for another dull summer, how wrong were we!😀 I remember driving through the midlands at the end of June that year and thinking I was in southern Spain. Wall to wall gin blue skies, heat hazes and not a soul to be seen in the midday sun. Not so many motorways then, so driving through towns and villages and they deserted in the heat. I can't remember when it all ended but I do recall it still being lovely well into October. And it was countrywide.

Memories.😀

Halloween reached 20c! That was the kinda the end if memory serves me.

Late December, Christmas to New Year had some very cold ice days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Did it not turn much cooler at the end of Oct 95? I'm pretty sure Halloween night that yr was a chilly clear night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I know it's absolutely incredible and this is what scares me with climate change it's here and becoming more frequent

• Advertisement

From the Met Bulletin October 1995. 7-12c was the lowest that day and 20c highest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

So a new record set today for number of consecutive days in October with temperatures in the 20's in any official met station.

I can't remember feeling the temperature transition so much. When I hit the morning air it felt freezing!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It was a great run of warm weather between early September and almost mid October with warmer temperatures than we got in May, July and August. I also had the 10 days of mid to high twenties in Spain second half of September so for me this first half of Autumn was my summer after July and August ended up being a bit of a trainwreck and this made up for it in the end!

All good things must come to an end and now Autumn is taking over properly, not just here in Ireland but over the course of the coming week all of Europe will be feeling noticeably cooler with the chilly air plunging south even into the Mediterranean regions. We got summer weather as late into Autumn as possible under perfect conditions and couldn't ask for much more really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Absolute rotten day with nearly 25mm recorded already,pools of water everywhere on roads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Some contrast to today's weather and yesterday. 20­° when disembarked the bus at 830am in Dublin yesterday morning and a day for taking photos and wandering the city in a tshirt (if I was a tourist).

October is well and truly here today. No rain but today is dull and damp.

11° Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭pureza

Pouring down in Arklow

19mm so far

A very cold 9.6c

Lovely afternoon here in carrick no rain since last night although lows tonight of 2c to 6c some grass frost is possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Stunning sunset in the park.

Cool but still. Worth getting off the couch to finish my walk under the gorgeous sunset.

9⁰ Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Beautiful autumn evening in Galway.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Here's one of the cold weeks of Winter going to be used up. Prob cool for the next 7 days. It will probably be late January or Febraury before we get another cold WEEK if at all.

However long term models show a lot of Blocking in November and December so at least it won't be a rain fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Currently only 3 degrees in Dublin,wasn't expecting it to drop that quickly.

Not cold at all in house though, it's obviously kept the heat from last few days.

Ah well we have saved on heating over the last while thankfully.

Powers back thankfully, its much cooler tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Beautifully clear night out there 6°c

What was excellent about winter 2010 was that it was front loaded and arrived when the days were at their darkest and shortest, 26 November until 25 December. No stronger February sun etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It's been snowing away in Reykjavik for a few hours now but not settling. This is over a month early for the first snow, which is impressive. I was also caught in a flurry further north along the west coast on Saturday. It's funny how I've experienced more wintry weather as soon as October 11th compared to some Irish winters, particularly 2016-17 and 2018-19.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

1st December to 20th January is the sweet spot for properly unstable long fetch direct hit easterlys/north-easterlies. The extra daylight and stronger sun really starts to make a difference after this point, particularly as you progress mid way through February the window starts closing quickly. But thats a perfect scenario, in this country we are happy out to get an hour of snow at any point in the winter and call it a victory, that's how snow starved we are.

Things have changed alot since I was a child in the 80s, back then I wouldn't get excited unless there was 3 inches minimum in the garden and a few days off school and that was almost every winter. February 1991 was when the almost guaranteed half decent winters came to a close and we opened a new modern chapter of mild winters since 1992.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Mt Dillon -1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Freezing in Dublin. Hands numb on bike. There was light frost on some of the grass. What a turnaround from Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Some change alright and I’m loving it. Roll on a few bright crisp days ahead.

Advertisement