Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

1C in Leitrim. Blue skies and Sun. Grass Frost. Mist hovering above the Loch. Stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

12 October is somewhat late for the first air frost. The 1991-2020 average is October 1st. Recent years there seems to be a huge variance between early and very late.

2017 and 2021 were as late as November 7th and November 2nd for their first air frost whilst last year 2022 was as early as September 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am enjoying this more seasonal weather. It looks like we are going to get a Scandinavian block of some sort as we go on. The EC 46 has it then moving westwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

A pair of Thinsulate™ gloves and your hands will be toasty, especially as it didn't even get to freezing in Dublin city so you're likely to experience colder mornings further into autumn and through the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

For me nothing beats the sight of the fog slowly rising off the cold snow fields during the late afternoon in the heart of winter. The colour of the sky too. Once the stronger sun gets going you just don't have that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

4c in Sligo last night. Nearer 0c in the cold fields of Markree. You know what they say

"Early frosts....

One thing though that could happen is if there's less storms and blocking it will surely be frosty a lot in the coming weeks.

I'm being very biased but work on replacing a very large roof on my house in longford got underway a couple of days ago. Needless to say the forecast of dry weather for the next 10+ days is the best news I could hope for as the start date was originally supposed to be in early September and it was close to being postponed till late Spring next year due the usual autumnal weather that is often expected this time of year. Long may this last, I say in a selfish manner!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This is turning out to be a fantastic autumn. All the summery weather first half of the season and now we are flipping into a more seasonal pattern in terms of temperature but there doesn't look like we will see much rain in the coming few weeks and there will be frosty nights at times. We will probably pay for this with a very mild and stormy winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

It's a wonderful almost warm feeling day in Dublin. Wish I could get out in it more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Similar story here although much smaller scale. I have to rebuild my well pump house that requires a few dry days, and I have some exposed exterior wood and stone sealing to do that also needs a decent spell of dry weather as well. Love the cool dry weather it's honestly my favourite above all else, and having no wind storms on the horizon is an added bonus.

After our first air frost we can have a proper technical Indian Summer😉

Ah no, I'm more geared towards late autumn\winter cold at this stage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A peach of a day here in Meath, unbroken sunshine, not a breeze, the sun dazzling on the grass dew and there is still warmth in that sun, the perfect day for a long walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

A day like today is exactly the kind of autumn weather I love. Fresh,dry and sunny after a chilly night last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Went on a longer walk than usual at lunchtime and it was beautiful.

I wonder will we get much fog over the next week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,755 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm liking some of the model trends toward the end of October from a cold perspective - good signs of some decent height rises at more northerly latitudes which would force colder air south and west. Wouldn't be a bad start to the season for cold fans but stuff of nightmares for those trying to keep their energy costs down!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Been bit too many times for me to see any excitement out of blocking charts like those being shown especially this early on. So many times we've seen autumn blocking the past decade to just be collapsed away when it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Is boards being temperamental tonight or is it just mine?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Sweet Jaysus, they have changed boards again😱

Must have decided to change it along with the change in weather.

• Advertisement

Today was a pleasant day, Laois, calm 13c. Felt both seasonal and pleasant.

For the past week at least there has been problems, boards sometimes doesn't load, trying to post images and I get errors sometimes and next time I try same thing it works, timeouts, cloudflare errors and very slow at times.

My experience too. This evening 6-11pm the worst, with the site totally down for long stretches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Another 16mm overnight on top of 25mm on Weds has made it a very wet couple of days

Theyv changed sat24. Preferred old one.

I can't believe how good the weather has been since I got back from Spain on September 29th, we've only had 2 bad days here where it rained and it's now the 13th of October and it's another sunny day.

This Autumn is making a complete disgrace of July and August 2023! Autumn also making up for the write off Autumn of 2022 where it was a deluge from start to finish.

Another nice autumnal day, 11/12 c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭amandstu

I see that tomorrow we have high pressure system coming in from the Atlantic .

I don't follow all this too closely but I don't recall high pressure coming in from the Atlantic to our West,

Is this particularly unusual and ,if so what would be behind it?

Advertisement