Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man dies after being struck by a bus in Dublin City Centre

Options
  • 01-09-2023 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭

A man in his 20's has died after being struck by a bus in Dublin City Centre. The man, who was a pedestrian, was hit by the bus at the junction of Store St and Amiens St in Dublin 1 at 11:30pm last night.

He was pronounced dead at the scene after sustaining the injuries. His body has been removed to Dublin city morgue in Whitehall for a post mortem examination.

Gardai still remain at the scene which is being investigated by forensic collision investigators this morning.

Man, 20s, dies after being struck by bus in Dublin City Centre (msn.com)

Post edited by devnull on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Tragic news. Thoughts to the deceased family and friends and also to the driver involved.

I see Bus Aras is closed until further notice so a full investigation can be carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭thomasj

awful news to start the day, hope they rest in peace.

Heart goes out to family and friends.

Heart also goes out to the driver of the bus who I wouldn't wish this on. Hope they get the support thats needed to help them through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,442 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Very sad news, RIP to the person

(Not finger pointing at anyone) The speed of some buses is crazy along with todays obsession of walking along with your head buried in the phone and those noise cancelling headphones

• Registered Users Posts: 69,098 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Haven't used it in a few years but that crossing was always a nightmare for pedestrians and I'm sure drivers. RIP to the young man.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The pedestrian infrastructure around Busaras is atrocious, it was only a matter of time before there was an accident there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Is this a joke? Maybe reacting too much?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MOD: Given PTH2009 edit and reply (thanks) I’ve deleted that part of the post.

But no, I’m pretty horrified at all the deaths on our roads over the last few weeks. There are clearly serious issues with the design safety of our roads, policing and the quality of driving since COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

MOD EDIT: This is certainly not a joking matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Agree. Have regularly seen “close calls” with people walking across the road near the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Thoughts are with the family of the deceased, and also with the bus driver.

The Store Street arm of the junction with Amiens Street should really get pedestrian crossing lights. I'd imagine plenty of pedestrians just walk across without fully checking, especially when a load of people get off a luas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

It's a bit too late reaction regarding the increased road deaths. We don't even have enough unregulated pedestrian crossings here. Rural roads mainly are without a sidewalk, drink and drive is still a thing in rural areas and small towns, no proper education on how to drive and switch lanes on the motorways before handing a driver licence, parents bring teens to school even if there are available buses, so those teens jump into their own car when they become adults, streets aren't getting bigger, more cars on the road but no proper investment into infrastructure to make roads safer to the pedestrians. Rather this is being done by reducing speeds to the drivers which won't work either as there's no proper enforcement in the cities and on the rural roads...

So road deaths possibly will increase with a number of new drivers, cars and lack of infrastructure. Horrifying or not, a bit cynical, but this is logically and pragmatically going to the right direction based on the government's efforts to sort this out. Talks won't make a difference, actions only will. But this society isn't keen for changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,752 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Any bus going around into Store Street would be going very slowly - it’s a very tight turn for the large tri-axle double decks.

Buses are all fitted with speed limiters too.

Unfortunately this tragic event is probably more to do with the dreadfully poor pedestrian infrastructure at this location to be honest.

On a more positive note I am relieved to see that Dublin Bus have removed the stop for the 14 & 15 at the bay used by GAI and BÉ by Connolly LUAS. It was inherently unsafe, with passengers frequently having to walk between regional vehicles to access the city buses.

Gardai have given more details of the deceased person. 21 year old student from Dunshaughlin . RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 25,472 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There is also a seriously greater amount of traffic on our roads... population is exploding...

Our roads were not designed for the almost constant peak traffic volumes...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

None of the recent deaths occurred at peak times or busy locations so the volume of traffic had zero to do with them. The roads are bad but they're much better than they used to be and cars have gotten exponentially safer. The only thing that's changed is that people don't take personal responsibility anymore so we've pedestrians crossing roads without looking, car drivers running reds and speeding in urban areas. The amount of drivers who can't stay in lane is a serious issue which isn't being highlighted anywhere.

A lot of the recent fatalities have been groups of young people travelling together. Maybe we should look into implementing similar laws to Oz and NZ where new drivers are restricted from carrying peers, especially since the cars new drivers can afford don't handle being fully loaded as well as bigger more powerful cars. We've always had a problem with single vehicle RTCs causing fatalities, there's more people in the cars now.

“None of the recent deaths occurred at peak times or busy locations so the volume of traffic had zero to do with them.”

The opposite is true, peak times usually means congestion and thus extremely slow speeds, making fatal incidents unlikely.

Speed kills.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,472 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the poor guy was hit by a bus, and he was on a bike. The bus wouldn’t have to be going at any colossal speed to enable a fatal crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,752 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It’s a very tricky junction - the buses have to pull out into the right hand lane when turning from Beresford Place into Store Street to make the turn. Awfully sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

RIP to the poor guy..awful.

I notice the bus involved was one of those Bus Eireann double deckers which always appear to me as completely unsuitable in city centre roads. As a cyclist myself, I always feel vulnerable when one of them passes me!

He wasn't on a bike he was crossing the road . Gardai reports have said this in the press

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That's what I said. The deaths weren't on busy roads while the poster I quoted blamed busy roads and peak traffic for the increase in fatalities.

Speed doesn't kill, inappropriate speed kills. Going 120km/h on a motorway is a lot safer than going 30km/h on some of our 80km/h roads.

Advertisement