Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Gear Review/Recommendations

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Hmmm I was very excited about heated socks until the weather warning, boo.

Not keen on the disposable ones.

I guess I'll keep going with the thermal socks and overshoes 😭

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just checking, in cold weather, do you wear shoe covers to help protect your feet from the cold air (even when it is dry)?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Double socks and shoe covers. There are days the cold still gets too you but it does the job for the most part. I am looking at winter shoes though, it's always the wet feet that get me in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

I have found the spatz brilliant for keeping feet warm. I have the legalz (the shorter version) and the longer fleece lined version, both are brilliant. Like all overshoes they will let in water eventually, but I pair them with the same socks I wear in the summer and they are perfect. They are expensive but if you look after them they will last, my pair are about 3 winters old now and in good condition. Customer service very good too, a mates pair where peeling off the top layer of neoprene, got onto them and they sent him out a brand new pair within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

some lads swear by clingfilm over the shoes before putting on overshoes.

put your foot in a ziplock bag before putting into the shoe

its often the little vents on the bottom of shoes that let in the water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've used them in the wet, under bib's/ waterproof socks. My personal opinion is that more chance of the batteries packing up that risking injury myself but ymmv...

I think is is a very much depends - n=1 as it's my circulation all that stuff (including winter boots) doesn't ultimately make that much difference to me. And believe me, I have gone through enough options that I could've brought expensive battery options!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Anybody got any thoughts on winter boots for wide feet? I have a divil of a time getting shoes that don't pinch without having to size way up leading to toe overlap. I'm wearing Northwave Rebels at the minute which are fine with thin socks, but are just that bit uncomfortable with winter socks - I certainly wouldn't get away with double socks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Always.

They go on in October and stay on until May-ish depending on how warm/ cold it is

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭devonp

any recommendations for waterproof gloves ?, dont have to be thermal as I have some very good liners which i can fit under larger than needed w/p outers (not marigolds mind 😁)

Would Gore be best ??

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

You might consider these: GripGrab Waterproof Knitted Thermal Cycling Gloves - Mantel

I've only worn them once and that was on a 100 km summer spin where I got caught in a torrential thunderstorm half way through. When I got home my hands were slightly damp, but I don't know whether that was rain or sweat. But my hands were comfortable the whole time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭devonp

yes saw something similar from ShowersPass , might go with the GG as i have other stuff from them ..and you cant go wrong with even more HiViz...

Advertisement