Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any recourse with this issue?

Options
  • 02-09-2023 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

Basically a friend of friend was moving residences a few months back and asked could I help with the furniture etc.

Their old/new place had been thoroughly renovated.

So, few weeks ago we knocked into each other and they were explaining how the renovation went really well, except for one thing.

They had a stove heating system installed that apparently also heats the radiators for the rest of the house as it concurrently heats water.

The builder/designer of the renovation explained that they could heat the stove, then selectively switch on/off the radiators in the parts of the house they wanted heated.

Long story short, the plumbers or whomever did the job, made a complete mess of it and the system isn't fit for purpose.

Now, they still have an oil fired furnace that switches on and can heat the radiators like a normal heating system.

But the stove doesn't heat the radiators at all. So they had an expensive stove installed with the intent it could heat the entire house, but it in fact only heats one room.

When they questioned the builders, apparently they were fobbed off with some laughable excuse like, they had the plans for the installation drawn on the wall for the workmen to follow, and someone mistakenly painted over them so the workmen got the installation wrong.

As they explained it to me, the piping from the stove in their living room to provide the hot water for the radiators throughout the house was routed under floor, but the floor is poured concrete, so there's really no way to re-do it.

I mean, what an oversight, but as we know, with builders, they like to take short cuts etc.

Just out of personal curiousity, is there any recourse here? (I'd hate to think I'd find myself in such a situation one day and simply have to swallow such a loss, whilst getting laughed at by the builders who made the mistake).

They said they were reluctant to pursue recourse, as they pretty much didn't want the hassle, but how much hassle could it be?

PS - this is a consumer issue in a sense? I figure if anyone knows the particulars of how recourse may be addressed, it would be users of this forum?

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What was in their contract? What has their architect said? Where there no Builders Work Drawings? Who was supervising the build and who signed off the renovation work as done correctly?

If they paid for the stove to heat the rads and there where proper drawings supplied to the builder then it's upto the builder to sort it out. If they didn't have proper drawings for the builders, on a wall isn't proper drawings, they might have to eat some of the cost. They'll need to get proper legal advise as the fix is going to be expensive.

Advertisement