Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upsetting experience at a Vet Clinic

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP did you post eg in local FB, WhatsApp etc groups that you had the cat? You say you looked for lost cat notices and didn’t find any (possibly as the cat wasn’t lost?) but no mention if you did anything to find the owners? I say this as our local FB group has had one lost and 2 found/does anyone own this cat posts today(!)… and there’s daily cat posts lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

The point you seem to be missing is that you spotted someone else's cat on the road, and decided to take it for yourself because it looked nice and your children liked it. Now you're upset because the vet found the cat's real owner and gave it back to them, and the vet is rightfully being cagey about giving you any more information. You need to remember that this was never your cat, no matter how much you spent on a carrier or what procedures you decided to put it through.

If you really want a cat of your own, go into the vet and ask for your carrier back; then go to a rescue centre and adopt a stray in the proper way.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What worries me here is that it seems we agree that if you or I leave our pet with a vet (and we have only had the pet for less than a year), the vet can decide to give it away to whoever they see fit? Isnt that way too much adjudication powers in the hands of these vets?

This did not happen and trying to garner sympathy by making up scenarios won't work. You never owned this cat. You took it in knowing that in all likleihood, it's real owner was someone nearby. You then decided to spend money on this animal knowing that you did not own it. When the rightful owner was located, you resented having to give the car back - but you have no rights over this cat.

The vet did the right thing; they returned the cat to its legal owner. You have no legal right to the animal. You moaning about fairness is your problem and nobody's elses!

I agree the cat doesnt legally belong to me. What I contest is that the cat doesnt belong to the vet to give away either. And, quite possibly doesnt belong to whoever the vet decided to give her away to.

FFS, you're being childish with this statement: grow up FFS!

If you wish to be the proud owner of a pedigree cat then go out and buy one rather than trying to adopt a neighbours!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kiffkroker

I wasnt looking for people to say anything really ... maybe advice or just put up with me for having a bit of a moan (of course the kind words that folks have said are nice to hear nonetheless. Although equally, someone using a passing remark about "I regret being honest" against me is needlessly ad hominem, but this is the internet I suppose)

What I am failing to grasp however, is how folks are seemingly fine with a system where someone can just take something away from you.

For example, if you bought a stolen car without knowning it (you failed to check the vin number against the reg cert perhaps or whatever) and gave it to a garage for an oil change; A day later, the garage said "Oh yeah we'll return it to the real owner. Trust us, we're the good guys", would you be fine with that? (Yes I know, besides being three letter words starting with c, we're talking about different things, and Gards would readily get involved if a garage decided to keep a car etc. but, ignoring those, ... the garage cant be trusted with something like that surely?)

Folks keep saying the same thing: "the cat wasnt yours, get over it". Yeah sure but thats not the point - its not the vets to give away either (or for them to decide who to give away.)

Its the wholehearted agreement to the system that I dont get: How can you be so blase with vets having power to take your pets away on what they see fit.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What I am failing to grasp however, is how folks are seemingly fine with a system where someone can just take something away from you.

So you mean a system whereby someone#'s property can be returned to them?

For example, if you bought a stolen car without knowning it (you failed to check the vin number against the reg cert perhaps or whatever) and gave it to a garage for an oil change; A day later, the garage said "Oh yeah we'll return it to the real owner. Trust us, we're the good guys", would you be fine with that? (Yes I know, besides being three letter words starting with c, we're talking about different things, and Gards would readily get involved if a garage decided to keep a car etc. but, ignoring those, ... the garage cant be trusted with something like that surely?)

You're making up scenarios to suit your belief that you had some kind of entitlement to hold onto this animal despite knowing that it wasn't yours and that in all likleihood, someone would be looking for it.

If you feel that you were wronged, then maybe talk to the gardai or even a solicitor and see what they say about it!

Folks keep saying the same thing: "the cat wasnt yours, get over it". Yeah sure but thats not the point - its not the vets to give away either (or for them to decide who to give away.)

The vet returned the animal to its owner, as they are obliged to do. They had no reason to hold onto it until you were satisfied in some shape or form.

Its the wholehearted agreement to the system that I dont get: How can you be so blase with vets having power to take your pets away on what they see fit.

You still don't seem to understand this so I'll shout it out: IT WASN'T YOUR PET so your pet wasn't taken from you. Hopefully it will eventually register with you!

As for your dissatisfaction with the system that allows a vet whose role it is to look after the best welfare for an animal to return the animal to its owner knowing that you were not the rightful owner (as you had told them), as I said earlier, grow up!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

If the vet has an animal that they know to belong to somebody else, and have evidence to show it, they are absolutely, 100% within their rights, indeed obliged to give that animal back to its rightful owner.

For all you know, the cat was reported stolen. At the very least, the cat was likely to have been reported missing. Same cat lands in with the vet... if the vet was to give the cat back to a person that they KNOW not to be the actual owner, particularly in light of them knowing who the actual owner is, they would be in a world of trouble.

As has been explained, you did not own the cat, you had and have zero legal claim to the cat. The person who owns the cat is absolutely, 100% within their rights to claim their cat back from whatever entity has possession of the cat. The vet has ZERO obligation to give you any details.

I'm still mystified as to why you don't appear to have gone to the clinic to pick up your cat carrier, nor to try to talk personally with them about what happened.

With respect, your tone in your posts comes across as quite condescending, and somewhat entitled (eg referring to the cat as "your" cat even after you've been made aware you have zero claim to her. You've also been asked if you actively advertised her as found on local groups, but you havent replied to that nor mentioned it, so it appears you didn't). Perhaps it's not intentional, but if you came across the same way to the veterinary staff, I wouldn't blame them for not furnishing you with any info you didn't need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

That to me is a great result, long drive aside you should have been delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

This thread is unbelievable.

There are wandering cats all over my neighbourhood. I stop to give them a pet regularly. With the full realisation that someone local owns them. Particularly if they're tame and an expensive breed.

I can't get around how you went back with food and then decide that it is within your right to take the cat? That's simply theft. You stole someone's cat.

There probably weren't any missing signs up yet as the owner just thought their cat went off for a wander. This happens with cats all the time. The cat didn't come home as usual and they were probably worried sick.

Seriously unbelievable thread. Can't believe there are folks out there who would think this is a normal okay thing to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Parenting 101.

If you find something that doesn't belong to you just keep it, then it belongs to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I think the moral of this sad story is that cats own you, not the other way around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How can you honestly be giving out about someone 'taking something away' from you when you literally did exactly the same thing to a cat owner a couple of weeks ago?

I know you're going through a bit of shock at the moment OP as you clearly really liked the cat, but just take a step back and look at the situation. The way you feel right now, someone else felt exactly the same way when their cat didn't come home a couple of weeks ago because of you.

Not sure where you're based, but if you're in Dublin and are looking for a cat, <mod snip: please recommend individual rescues by PM. Thanks!>

Post edited by DBB on

Advertisement