Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People Are disgusting.

Options
  • 02-09-2023 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

So I am not long out of a showing of Jurassic Park in Liffry Valley Vue. It was near enough a full showing and according to the website it was sold out.

Anyway afterwards the amount of rubbish people leave behind is just disgusting. I bring all mine home and recycle most if it.

Most of the stuff left in the cinema could have been brought home and recycled.

Even the two Women beside my were eating some sort of biscuits. They just left the packaging to it on the floor when they could have brought it home and recycled it. Really is it hard to do. No its not.

We might be one of the biggest cinema goers in Europe but we I am ashamed to say are also one if the filthiest. People would not just dump rubbish like that in their own house so why do it on the Cinema?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I don't think it's a problem unique to the cinema. People don't treat public spaces very well here. I remember being at a cinema in Hamburg and everyone left all their packaging on the ground in a designated area outside the screen as they were leaving. I think the idea was the staff sorted it then into recyclables and non recyclables. This was a small independent cinema and not a chain one. There's probably a lot of cinema waste here that could be recycled like popcorn containers but I've only ever seen black plastic bin liners in the cinemas here.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

If we could copy the Japanese this country would be a gem

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

True. I was in Japan this year and couldn't get over how clean it was....even the public toilets in subway stations. Being neat, clean and tidy just seemed to be in the public conscousness there in a way that's missing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Jizique

Wait till you see the sight of Stradbally on Monday, the same generation we 40-60 year olds are supposed to be "saving the planet" for; at least the organisers got some publicity in advance for no vapes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Yep no vapes but your welcome to absolutely destroy the place otherwise, ridiculous carry on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Thankfully I am and will not be anywhere near all them wastes of space.

Some Women that Today FM wrong on Friday said she had no money but yet she was somehow going to this then they gave her, well she won 40k on Friday and she never had money hiw is she going to manage with that. A disgrace I say. She will waste it by the sounds of it.

That Electric Picnic rubbish should be cancelled anyway. Not like there is any music anymore. That industry is dead the last decade.

Blame Apple. They killed it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

First of all...its Liffey valley...plus a cheap cinema day is going to attract a higher percentage of people who don't normally go.

Ms

Oh I know that. Oh and by the way there is nothing wrong with Liffey Valley

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

What are you actually trying to say here... It's fairly garbled nonsense. There's plenty of music still being made and bought/streamed. Apple didn't kill anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I cant get excited about it, the cinema sells you stuff in packaging , boxes, drink containers, the cinema expects you to leave it there to be cleaned up after, lord knows they charge enough for it. Stop trying to put minimum wage people out of jobs!!!!!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

I remember that silly argument about litter and jobs from an anti litter video in the UK. Litter is wasteful the money could be spent on services instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It was no different 20 years ago. when the 40-60year olds were 20-40.

We were just as messy and are no saints

its not silly , stadiums etc. its the same argument, its not littering because they are private spaces and they make the rules, people on public transport /parks etc are littering because one is expected not to make a mess and its against their terms of use.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Liffey valley is ok, the cinema can be a kip imo. People taking pictures, watching things on tablets...zzz..I avoid.

I completely disagree. There's no reason in the world to just dump something on the ground when it can be binned

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not a cinema thing: you think cinemas are bad, try walking around a stadium after a match, or the fields after a music festival. There's something psychological where people can abandon basic consideration when they think they're hidden among a crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It's simple manners and politeness to put your rubbish in a bin or take home with you from anywhere imho, any cinema I've been to each screening room has bins

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, festivals are another thing entirely. people buy camping gear to go to festivals with no intention of bringing anything home.

here is a question, why arent there adverts on cinema screens telling people what to do with the containers the cinema sold them? as they do with mobile use. Direct your annoyance with cinema chains, not with judging the public unfairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

People wouldn't leave their rubbish behind in cinemas If full lights were turned on when the movie finished so everyone can see the mess. People would be too ashamed for others to see their mess.

These scummy people need to be shamed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's always been thus in Irish cinemas. Seems to be part of the culture and ticket price. Even people who might be more thoughtful elsewhere just happily leave their rubbish.

To take out your rubbish in an Irish cinema, you need to swim against the tide a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I don't go to the cinema, the sound of people eating annoys me and i don't feel comfortable going to cinema alone as a loner incel anyway. Going to a concert or sports game I can do alone but there is just something about the cinema I don't feel comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I was in Liffey Valley vue last week (not cinema day) & there was a notice before the film asking people to please leave the rubbish there as they don't have bins on the way out as they do separating & recycling. So realistically all those people you were calling disgusting were actually following the cinemas request.

Ms

Awe very good. I think they mean leave the rubbish there respectively and neatly like on the seat not thrown everywhere and popcorn all over the floor. I mean why buy it and then spill it everywhere. Just makes no sense.

I did see that som good people had but there rubbish into bags for the staff but not everyone.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Why do people spill anything? Accidents. I doubt they spilt their popcorn that costs a fair bit on purpose. It's dark in a cinema & people trip, spill their popcorn. Do you expect them to clean it all up off the floor? Also most seats fold up so putting rubbish on them would result in the seat getting messy (especially if the fabric ones & not the leather) & harder to clean, then people putting it on the floor. I leave my empty popcorn bucket on the floor & my other half left his nacho thing on floor too. He didn't want the salsa to spill on the seat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I still remember the full, only opened bag of maltesers I dropped during the trailers; then listened to dozens of chocolate goodness roll and clatter down the floor towards the front. As said, accidents happen and at the price it costs I was pretty píssed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

We came out of the Savoy after watching 'Oppenheimer' and the seats next to us were as if the bomb had actually gone off in the screening. The girl (she was wasn't with us) who was sat to the right to me and my buddy left her seat in such a state I was genuinely shocked and looking around I could see other seats in various states of filth.

Now, I don't eat at the pictures. I've never seen the appeal and I can understand if a load of kids made a mess because the mother couldn't control them. But fuck me you'd think adults could surely hit their mouth, even in the "darkness" of a cinema.

Bottom line is, yes, some people ARE disgusting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I am so used to it at busy multiplex showings I barely notice anymore but it has bothered me at DIFF screenings where the people picking up the rubbish after are volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 RBBBBSS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 RBBBBSS

Some Women that Today FM wrong on Friday said she had no money but yet she was somehow going to this then they gave her, well she won 40k on Friday and she never had money hiw is she going to manage with that. A disgrace I say. She will waste it by the sounds of it.

What do you mean by this?

Advertisement