Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People Are disgusting.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's the broken window theory in action. Social norms are hard to change.

It'll take enough action till it reaches a tipping point, and then littering will be frowned upon.

Because it is littering. I guess people just assume it's someone else's job to tidy up after them?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Er I wasn't correcting that posters spelling...I meant it more along the lines of its Liffey valley what do you expect...maybe look at my other posts on the thread before having a go.

Liffey valley is fine but the cinema can have some Muppets talking, taking videos and using tablets even during screenings so I tend to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its not "broken window theory" which is about cracking down on low level law breaking, preventing more serious criminal activity. Also "littering" is not quite the appropriate word here as it implies a rule or statute has been broken which again is not happening here. If cinemas wanted people to do stuff differently you would see the messaging on screen.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Maybe just maybe they expect you to use you brain there is a bin after all in cinemas why should they nanny you.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Everlong1

You're only realising now that the Irish have a problem with litter and lack of respect for the environment? Have you only started living here recently?

• Advertisement

they like nannying , they like reminding you not to use your phone or talk to your friends, yes im talking to you!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Well guess what you share the cinema experience with others not having your phone on or the light on and not talking is a common courtesy to those people. Just because they do not say it should not mean it is obvious clean up after yourself and just don't throw the stuff around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nannying? People who use their phone in cinemas can fúck right off so nanny away if it reminds a few more people from being àssholes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Love the Oatmeal, though does remind that the American cinema experience can be exponentially more obnoxious and awful than here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No. I have lived here all my life born and breed here 100% Irish.

It's just I never seen it as bad as tgat day. I normally go to the cinema on quiet days and it's never as bad.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

"throwing stuff around" is something else, what cinema do you use? lol , if the cinema want a different outcome, its up to them to inform customers and arrange their cinemas in a different way that its obvious and simple to do. As it is im happy that they expect me to leave containers by the seat and in the cup holder, and that they just want us out as quickly as possible. Go nuts and bring the packaging home and recycle it if you want, you can think your great and better than everyone else as your payoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Are you seriously, genuinely arguing that people shouldn't just take their rubbish and stick it in the bin on their way out of the screen? Genuinely???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

All for some good corporate bashing (and more than happy to blame them for the technical issues that plague multiplexes these days), but the idea that cinema chains are somehow responsible for people making a mess is preposterous.

There’ll always be the odd popcorn piece on the ground or an unfortunate spillage, but the vast majority of the time it takes close to zero effort to pick up your rubbish and put it in the bin on your way out. You’ve made life that little bit easier and more pleasant for the cinema’s staff in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I see a Reddit thread on someone doing this at the cinema, the lighthouse as well.

Grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

But it someplace it literally is someone's job. I'm not going to go out of my way to make a massive mess, and I doubt most people would, but the cinema do employ people to clean the screens after them. Now if it's somewhere that its volunteers etc, course I'm going to go to extra effort.

Well if you take the Liffey Valley example, there aren't any bins on the way out of the screens & they literally ask you not to do this so that they can separate the waste for recycling properly. So on balance I think separated, properly recycled waste is better than everyone just dumping it all into a black bag for general waste.

One other problem with cleanliness in cinemas is that the staff are nearly always teenagers; and they're not exactly known for their strong work ethic (though there's probably feck all time between showings to clean the whole screen).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Never really noticed, truth be told. I take my stuff and throw it in the bin. My local Cineworld only has single bins so that's where my stuff end up.

I live very close to Wembley stadium. I used to walk past it on the way to the gym. One morning, I could barely see the ground as it had been completely covered by football fans' waste from the night before. This was the Euros if memory serves.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I said it already but by happenstance / the algorithm listening to me, this came up on my news feeds that shows it's not just cinemas: people en masse will just drop their shít if they think nobody else will. We still need nannies as grown ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭notAMember

Oh yes, I totally empathize. Gosh, here I am creating rubbish, whatever should I do with it? I have absolutely NO idea, unless a screen tells me with explicit instructions to put it in a bin. Ideally with pictograms showing me what a bin is, because I've never heard of those.

It's all the goverments' fault, or the corporates fault, or definitely someone's fault anyway. I didn't get any instructions, therefore the only option is to feck it on the ground. Same goes for every location in the country... if there isn't a sign every 5 meters with explicit instructions on HOW man-babies like me should clean up after ourselves, I am entitled, no... REQUIRED, to be a total moron and claim willful ignorance of what to do.

This is your normal attitude?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That's great that that one place has that policy, and communicates that policy with their customers. But in your average cinema the staff just have to gather and dump it all into the same bins that the customers didn't bother their hole using.

And it's not like extra people are being employed for the cleanup as some nice result of people's ignorance - cleanup staff will always be employed regardless, and leaving your crap everywhere just makes their job unnecessarily harder and more unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

But the cinema from the OP is the exact same one that I reference. There is an announcement at the start of the film asking you to leave your rubbish there for that specific reason.

And I know that they're not being employed solely for cleanup but it is part of their job description. I did it for a while myself & in the job description it included cleaning out of the screens in between each showing. I'm not saying people should be slobs but that realistically, there will always be an element of cleaning required in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

are you trying to tel lus you tried to vape in a cinema screen during a film?

Advertisement