Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's it normal to be waiting several weeks for follow up after finding out you have cancer?

Options
  • 02-09-2023 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

A close family member wasn't feeling well for several months, after several doctor visits and surgery to rectify the issue, it was discovered he has cancer. We were told this news on the last few days in a follow up on his surgery. There was no mention of cancer before this. And he left that meeting with very little details avlbout his cancer (type/treatment/prognosis/etc).

We've now been told it could be several weeks before he gets a consultation with an oncologist.

Thankfully, we've had minimal exposure to cancer before this. But waiting several weeks before a follow up to get the ball rolling on treatment, etc seems unusual. We assumed he'd be called back immediately as every day counts when someone has cancer.

Can anyone provide some insight here as we're in limbo. Following up on Monday and every day until we get an appointment but is it normal to be told we'll be waiting weeks for an appointment. He has private healthcare if it matters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Depends on what kind of cancer and what stage I would imagine. If he has private healthcare then he should at least be able to contact the consultant who made the discovery to at least get some detailed information. Contact the consultant/secretary. You need some kind of peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wherearewe45

Ya he contacted the consultant and it was his secretary that said it'd be several weeks for a follow up, she was only sending thevreferral letter on that day (which was 3 days after initially telling us it was cancer). Should have mentioned that detail in the main post, it just seems so slow and laid back on their side

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm sorry to hear that

It depends on which medical department has to follow up

I would suggest they contact their own GP and the hospital to push further follow up

Best of Luck and I Hope a Successful Outcome Recovery

Advertisement