Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying apartment - Fire regulations compliance check

Options
  • 03-09-2023 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Currently sale agreed on an apartment and the main thing I want to have checked out is the fire safety regulations are all complied with to avoid potential costly work in future. Is it on the legal side and my solicitor should eb able to verify this, or is it a survey finding that I need to make sure they look for?

All advice appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

I’m not sure that you will be able to establish this without paying for a really expensive and invasive survey. A normal pre-purchase survey is quite superficial!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I don't think that it's possible to do this for an apartment. To be done properly your surveyor would need to do invasive work in the common areas.

If the complex was built during the boom you have to assume that there are issues unless the OMC can provide reports that they have had a survey done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

As said above unless remediation work has been completed you are best to assume its required.

Your solicitor should be able to enquire if A Fire Audit has been completed - if not assume works will be required down the line.

I have worked on many such projects and can say wet finger in the air costs direct to unit owners are generally in the 10-20k range. So just go into it with your eyes open and prepared for the worst.

There is a new fire remediation scheme (info on The Housing Agency's website). So its possible that costs could be covered (to what extent nobody knows yet)

Your surveyor should be able to do some poking around which might provide some answers but they cant do opening up works which is the only sure way to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭WhatYaSay

Oh wow. Hadn't expected it to be so opaque.

What leads to the work being required then so? Say for example there has been no work done on this block, but you hear stories of certain developments requiring the work to be done now and then. What triggers that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Every apartment block build during self certification should be checked, the developments who haven't done the checks are burying their heads in the sand and are now not going to do any inspections till the new fire remediation scheme is enacted. They are being negligent by not checking their properties, which could have serious repercussions.

What tiggered the works? The majority I'd say only found out when other works highlighted the issues. Some OMCs where proactive, after hearing about Priory Hall etc, did the surveys and had their members pay for remediation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

the first thing is do as a surveyor is inform the client that no invasive tests or inspections can take place.

But I’d walk around the development to see what the general condition is. I’d be checking the following to see how maintenance has been handled by the MC.

Fire doors.

service risers.

alarm system.

accessible penetrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

The main issues are going to be hidden from view, i.e. missing/inadequate passive fire stopping, fire rated construction not constructed correctly, missing/inadequate fire rating to structural steel. These are building wide issues and not something that can be done for a single apartment. If the issues above are identified, you cannot do localised repairs or remediation work, it is a building wide issue.

I would be wary of buying an apartment older than 5 - 8 years old, even then I would do as much due diligence as possible.

Thabks for the info folks. Will make enquiries with the OMC but not sure how much they will have to disclose as I'm a 3rd party at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

If there is an issue with the complex the OMC would have to disclose if your solicitor asks. Most solicitors will ask if there is there is any fire safty issues known. If you see cash buyers only that usually idicates there is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,871 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Have a read of this. It relates to fire safety standards for rental accommodation.

If you are planning on renting apartment out they would apply. As an owner occupier they would not apply, but if you plan to sell the apartment in future, it would be more difficult to sell a non compliant apartment. Also, landlord owners in future might push for such works to be done at AGMs.

• That each self-contained house in a multi-unit building shall contain a suitable fire detection and alarm system and an emergency evacuation plan. A multi unit building is a building that contains two or more houses that share common access.
    • That there is a suitable fire detection and alarm system provided in common areas within a multi-unit building.
    • Emergency lighting is provided in all common areas within a multi-unit building.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I have being renting and owning apartments for the last 25 years and thats pretty much standard in all apartments i have lived in. Now all the places i have lived have being well maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Find out who the original builder was. Check out their reputation. Some developers have not had issues, others have.

It looks like the developer was Ballymore Construction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ballymore ate still active in todays market which is always a good sign.

They’re currently building 450 apartments in Finglas/Cabra called Ninth Locke.

Advertisement