Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 NFL regular season thread (no picks)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Week 5 TV Games.

Sunday

Jaguars at Buffalondon Bills 2.30pm. ITV and Virgin Media.

Giants at Dolphins 6pm. Sky Sports.

Eagles at Rams 9.05pm. Sky Sports (timing means they are likely to miss the first 5/10 minutes of this)

Sunday night/Monday am

Cowboys at 49ers 1.20am. Sky Sports.

Monday night/Tuesday am

Packers at Raiders 1.20am. Sky Sports and Channel 5 UK.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Bills Jags pretty boring for the most part, it's been crazy for the last few minutes.

At some point the training methods/medical staff have to come under scrutiny. Our injury record is abysmal every season.

Once upon a time, Ravens vs Steelers would have been prime time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Jags hang on

• Advertisement

I don't care how long you're out or how much you've been able to practice, Rashod Bateman has to catch that.

Harbaugh has to go.

His position is untenable. Disgraceful coaching over many seasons.

Everything has changed around him but we're still horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

bill belichick losing by 69 points total in the last 2 weeks, if I'm the pat's GM I'm asking questions......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I was looking forward to seeing the Ravens in London next weekend until I watched them this evening! They were a total mess everywhere

Good fast start to this Rams/Eagles match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,289 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Are the Pats unintentionally one of the worst teams in the league now or has Bill put this roster together in an attempt to land Caleb Williams or Drake Maye? I can't tell if he's still a genius or just a fraud without Brady.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,487 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I wasn't sure about Purdy last year. He looked good but the circumstances that led to him starting meant you just didn't know if he'd be the starter this year. He looks incredible this year, a far better player than he was last season and he did look good then.

He is so accurate, he already has playoff experience. This 49ers team might be heading for a championship if they can avoid injuries.

I've always maintained that a good pocket passer is a better option for a good team. Outside of the freak of nature that is Patrick Mahomes it's been pocket passers that have won every other Superbowl in recent times.

He didn't sort out the offensive line or get us a true no.1 wide receiver so the offense is a mess.

We lost Judon and Gonzalez last week so the defense is severely weakened.

I'm still not writing off Mac Jones. I don't want a new QB. I want two offensive tackles and a guard. I want a true no.1 wide receiver. If we get all that and Mac isn't doing it then go after a QB.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,258 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I mean, we all know the 49ers are legit, and if Purdy is who he's looking like, then they are borderline unstoppable.

But the Cowboys - is Trevon Diggs THAT important?

And either way, you're not winning shít with Dak at QB. not now, not ever. because at some point, in modern football, your QB has to win you games.

Dak regressed a bit just before he got his big contract and its gotten worse and worse since then.

49ers D was fantastic last night but as good as they were he still had more time than a lot of other QBs ever have.

Cowboys did make a mistake not resigning or replacing Schultz I think. He's still got enough receiving talent though.

Purdy is seriously impressive though. And it's not the great throws that decide how good a QB he is. It's the small things that the average fan doesn't pay attention to. Like pulling the ball back from the RB when he sees it's going to get blown up. Like knowing when you are going to get sacked and finding a way to step forward a yard or two or going straight down and not stepping backwards trying to do something close to impossible and risky and losing a lot more yardage. These are things that can't be taught because it's about not panicking under pressure.

He's very accurate, there's not many balls where the receiver is stretching out to catch a ball that's a bit off target. He's spreading the ball around a lot too. No interceptions through five weeks is impressive.

If he continues what he is at right now I'll be talking about him in the same breath as Mahomes, Allen, Burrow and Herbert.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,258 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i think it's unfair to put him in the category of Mahomes yet, but it won't be long before he's talked about the same as the rest. i'd already trust him to manage a game before I would Allen or Herbert.

Mahomes is doing things Brady did over an extended period of time - winning all manner of close games, and making the absolute maximum out of a very mediocre receiving core last year (outside of Kelce). Purdy is playing brilliantly, firing it through tight windows, making split-second good decisions - but he has the best supporting cast in the NFL, by a stretch. he has all the weapons you can ask for. that's not to denigrate him at all - i just think Mahomes has done too much already to be put with any of the other current crop.

Mahomes certainly is out on his own.

What I was saying was that when you talk about the best guys in the league right now, of which Mahomes is the best, that it won't be long before I'll be putting Brock Purdy in that conversation if he keeps up what he is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Raiders did everything they could to make a balls of that, and you would wonder at times what McDaniels is at, that fg decision was abysmal even if they had scored it. But the Defense stood up all day, fantastic performance by them. Love really struggled, LaFleur clearly doesn't trust him with passes beyond ten yards unless it's a really deep ball.

I'm of the opinion that McDaniels is rushing his decisions. He did that in Denver but never in New England. He just needs to slow himself down.

I dunno, he had the whole two minute warning last night and came up with that decision. He was bailed out by his defense and by the Packers just not being all that good offensively this year.

• Advertisement

Missing Jones isn't good but missing Bakhtiari, the left tackle, is causing huge problems for them. Obviously they have no depth at the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

Our 2 tackles are 23 and 24 respectively. So there are going to be growing pains with them. We are very young on offence and missing bakhtiari and Jones is huge because i say Lefluer was banking on the run game to settle Love into it. Love has made to some really good throws and looks good at times but has made some bad decisions as you would expect from a first year started, ironically enough rodgers has the exact same record after 5 games in his first year

The comparisons between Farve and Rodgers and then Rodgers and Love are unreal. It'll be interesting to see if Loves career throws up more three way comparisons.

Favre left because the Packers were ready to move on just like Rodgers, both went to the Jets.

Both became MVP for the first time in their fourth year as starter.

Both threw thirteen interceptions in their first year as starter.

Rodgers sat his first three years as did Love.

All three were 2-3 after five games of their first season as starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

It will be fun to watch Justin Jefferson play with Rodgers soon!

I was thinking that myself. 😁

Cousins contract is up at the end of the season.

The Jets are trending towards a high pick in next year's draft and might go QB again. They might be willing to deal Rodgers if that happens.

The greatest challenge in the NFL today: find a single ad during a game that doesn't have Travis Kelce in it. Difficulty level: impossible.

Man needs to catch up on the net wealth of the future wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

a penny for Jolly red giants thoughts this morning.

It's mad but Mahomes had over three hundred yards and a 75% completion rate and he looked poor. Poor for him that is, not any other QB.

That roughing the passer call that kept the Broncos touchdown drive alive was ridiculous. Defender was in contact with him when he let the ball go and tackled him around the waste and didn't drive him to the ground. He just fell on top of him and there was nothing severe about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

I think the offense as a whole struggled in the Broncos half which made things look worse for Mahomes. Low scoring game from a lot of good drives leading to FGs.

The multiple end arounds and trick plays with Toney really hurt the offense. Then the int was a bad one in the red zone which hurt the image of a strong performance elsewhere.

Some of those plays go well and the Chiefs run up a small score and it looks a lot better from Mahomes even if he didn't do anything different.

Advertisement