Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solution to firm up moist soil

Options
  • 03-09-2023 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi,

Have an area in the back of the garden which is often in the shade and the soil is alot softer/moister compared to other parts of garden.

Plan to put a wooden shed in the same area (it will be on concrete blocks) but feel the soil could do with firming up/improved drainage - to avoid any sinking issues.

Have aerated the relevant area, but wondering should I add peat or compost or even sand to the area and hopefully it will help firm up the soil?

Or any other suggestions? Adding gravel under soil was also mentioned previously to me as an option.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I think because it is holding moisture it is bouncy to foot as dry soil is more compact.

Not sure what to add as maybe the experts that do these can offer more advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Put a drain in so any water in the soil has somewhere to go. I added a drain to an area of the garden a couple of years ago because I had the ground dug to find a broken pipe. The area was always wet (last 40 years) and you'd sink in it if it had been raining now its bone dry.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement