Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain Waxing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I a thread popped up on another (mainly US) forum about chain waxing, and someone suggested the slow cooker/ crockpot liners you can get. I'm still not sure I'd risk it, and it seems like what most do is have a separate one and just leave the wax in it for the next time - although you could let it cool and lift out the wax in the liner I guess. There's a few posts about removing any contaminants that get in the wax despite cleaning a used waxed chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭jamesd

• Registered Users Posts: 34,651 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This is exactly what motorcyclists used to do 50 or 60 years ago! long before my time.

The wax was sold in a large diameter tin which was supposed to be heated very slowly on a stove and then the chain dropped in (after cleaning it in petrol and drying).

Can't imagine it was very effective as motorcycle power outputs grew greatly through the 1970s, but then o-ring chains came along. Spray lubes (either sticky grease, wax, or PTFE) are the norm today but drip-feed chain oilers have a dramatic effect on motorcycle chain and sprocket life (and mess). I once got close to 50,000km out of a chain and sprocket set with an oiler.

Incidentally on a motorbike, a new chain on old sprockets (or vice-versa) will cause very rapid wear as the parts wear into each other as the chain stretches. Not sure if that's as much of a problem with 1-2hp to play with instead of 50 or 100...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

How are people managing after wet rides? I've been hot waxing every 300km or so since spring but the last week or two have been wet or at least very dirty bike getting home. Last time I tried a quick wash but ended up with specs of rust on the chain and cassette. Hot wax every Sunday afternoon isn't really feasible. Take the chain off when cleaning and wipe it down? Leave it on and dry immediately? What is your routine?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Every 300km? I thought it didn't need to be done that often.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I certainly ain't doing it anywhere close to that over the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

I take the chain off (quick link) and wipe it with an old towel to get the worst of the dirt and water off and put it into an Ikea food container with a lid that seals. I pour in some Dynamic chain cleaner and let it sit for a while and then give it a couple of vigorous shakes over the next few hours. When the dirt has settled to the bottom I take the chain out and drain the chain cleaner through a funnel with a coffee filter into a jar - it can be reused indefinitely so you really only need to buy it once. Then I give the chain a wipe with a towel and lay it out on the bench and relube with Fenwicks All-Conditions lube. Let the chain sit for a while and then wave it around to articulate the links and make sure the lube is everywhere inside the chain, wipe off the excess lube and put it back on.

It sounds tedious but it's probably only about 10 minutes' work over a few hours. Having the chain off makes it much easier to clean the chainrings, derailleurs and cassette. I used one of those chain cleaning machines in the past but found it to be tedious and messy.

https://www.dynamicbikecare.com/products/chain-cleaner-1l

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how often do you do that? i break the quick link as rarely as possible - i think shimano say their ones should be replaced after being popped open?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Pomodoro

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

As often as the chain gets manky tbh. I use a KMC Missing Link - KMC suggests it can be reused 3 to 5 times but I've done more than that without problems (9 speed). I've also tried the Wippermann Connex link which can be reused indefinitely and doesn't need tools - that one came open by itself so I stopped using it. Might try them again.

Still, even if you stick to the upper limit of 5 uses, it only costs a Euro or two each time you break the link. For me that's worth it for the time saved and the cleaner drivetrain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Would you wax for Gravel, or just to much with mud/ dirt/ water?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

I have a small slow cooker and 5kg bag of paraffin wax. Tried waxing but not for me in the long run. Free if you collect all in D14. Nice opportunity to try waxing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I wax both mtb and gravel bike, done so for about 18 months now. Much easier to clean mud etc off it

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kensingtondell

I've been keeping an eye on this thread and I was going to give the initial cleaning and waxing a go over Christmas when I was off work. I found a crowd in Ireland that does it for you. Would it be just as well to get them to do the initial cleaning and waxing and then I take it over from there? I'd just have to get the bag of wax and a slow cooker then and away I go for subsequent waxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

It really isn't hard at all tbh. If you can dedicate a slow cooker to it it's even easier as you can just leave it in it and reuse as you need to. Only advice I can give is do it with new chains, cleaning used chains takes a good bit longer. Also do it to two or three chains at once and that's all the chains you'll likely need for a few years if you keep them right!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I've cans of motorcycle spray on chain wax. Anyone tried the likes on a roadbike?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

I used a motorcycle chain lube once on my bike chain and it destroyed the chain.

Everything from the road stuck to it and then I couldn’t get the dirt or lube off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭G1032

Just an fyi in case you're riding 11 speed. Chain wear is 0.5% for 11speed. I found this out the hard way🙁.

How much do they charge, I'd do it for a reasonable price

Don't do it, it's not suitable, if it doesn't do what nick described it will simply not move correctly and jm up somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭blackbox

The automotive world has for many years been moving to low viscosity lubricants for reduced friction and improved efficiency. I'm surprised to see cyclists using high viscosity lubricants considering the lengths that manufacturers go to to for minute improvements to aerodynamic drag.

It's not really anything to do with that, they just won't work on a bike chain in the majority of cases for a variety of reasons. The viscosity means it won't penetrate the chain properly. Despite what we tell ourseves we also don't spin our legs fast enough so it remains quite viscous and can cause the chain to kink/jam for some of them. Add this to the "stickiness" of it, it will pick up more dirt and wear your components alot quicker. Long story short, some of them will work but not well and will have negatives in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,651 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah the sticky types are sticky indeed.

If it's actual spray-on wax then it's nothing like as sticky and should be fine.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Completely unrelated but I am so happy I got the Young Uns reference straight away, haven't seen it in 30 years.

Advertisement