Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Al Porter- second chances

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just read the comments on the threads about the ulster rugby players, the rape in Cork or the Rory Gallagher thread.

You'll find lots of victim blaming of women in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

I have read two of the three threads (no interest in GAA so missed that one).

You could argue that the victims in the Rugby players situation were the rugby players themselves.

I think the term victim blaming is misused quite a bit. Obviously, sometimes it's a valid description of what happens, but I have seen it used when people mention that someone has some sort of responsibility for their own actions in order to ensure that they don't put themselves in harms way (not excusing the other persons behaviour in any way).

I think in the case of Al Porter, he used his clout in the comedy circuit for his own gratification. I don't even think he did it as a sexual act, but more of a power play just because he could.

Yes he never has been charged with anything, but he has more or less admitted his inappropriate behaviour in interviews afterwards.

I think the fact that he is a camp homosexual man has given him more leeway than if he wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Think your point has just been proved @Fr Tod Umptious

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Really? Can you point out what your point was and how I proved it?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Sure thing.

Your comment that I quoted had a heavy implication that I was a person who engaged in victim blaming and/or that I in some way only not giving the "benefit of the doubt" to Al Porter because he was a camp gay man.

Which proves my point that victim blaming is often misused or that people are misconstruing criticism of Al Porter as some sort of homophobia. My post did not do any of that, but you seem to have read it as if it did.

If that was not what your "Think your point has just been proved @Fr Tod Umptious", quote meant, then please explain.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Beefcake82

If you actually read all my posts from this thread you will see i asked about the conviction status and if he admitted committing these acts. As for the others their conviction status, who they attacked is not relevant, only the fact they have committed these acts and anyone else who does so does not deserve a second chance.

I am curious if there are others, why the case was dropped, why Porter has no publicly stated if he did or did not do these things. If he has not then he is entitled to resume his career without having to look over his shoulder. The ambiguity around weather he done these things is probably why people have so many questions about him.

If he was falsely accused then the accuser deserves to be prosecuted and Porter should have been afforded the right to anonymity unless convicted and victim waved their right to privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Hes still not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,472 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Before I clicked on the link I said it will be a woe is me, mental health goon fest… and it is…

problem with Al is he’s a pretty unfunny comedian. Playing hugely on his character, the outrageous, gay, camp, bitchy eccentric….but in reality he’s a bit of a creep and who has in fairness more baggage than a fully loaded 747….but one curiously who seems to be at great ease… attracting free publicity and column inches quite easily in fairness which I find very very odd indeed. And despite everything he’s had a pretty easy and fairly tame ride from much of the press…especially as of late….there almost now looks like a concerted effort to rebuild him amongst the ideals of success and respectability…by that same press who will no doubt benefit from the ‘comeback’…

there is something unbelievably off about the chap I find…not just his past behaviours, indiscretions and general seediness….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Obviously I haven't seen his schtick for years.

Perhaps he has improved with age.

Anyway I'll suspend judgement for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

This sums it up perfectly.

Who is this guy? There must be a hundred other hopefuls out there dying for just 5 mins on national radio and they put this creep on. He obviously has good connections.

A lot of echoes of Jimmy Saville treatment here. Clive James summed up Saville, in what seems a tame quote now, ‘he was a man well disguised, who would have thought a man who looked so weird was a weirdo.’

Porter leans into this goofy/camp persona to be non-threatening and innocent when he is far from it. A predator and vile individual.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

There was one where he was bragging about tearing some young lads arse open.

Rotten bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Herxules

He looks like a ventriloquists dummy

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Herxules

On one hand what he did was sick but on the other hand is it possible people can change? I think it is possible, he's had punishment in the form of his career not being where it would be otherwise.

That being said, not sure how his comedy works nowadays. His shtick was basically "I'm gay, any chance of a blowy Ryan?"

Anyone remember the video going around at the time of all the news, the one where there's a gig and he just runs around the stage naked with his cock bouncing around the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Whatever about adults paying for his brand of sub missus brown “tits, fanny, mickey and arse” smut that went out of fashion around 1969...

It is absolutely crazy that a Christmas pantomime aimed at children think it is “ok” to have this Kavanagh guy anywhere near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Boards is not real life tbf.

Paddy Jackson had to lave Ireland to continue earning a living and he was never selected for the national team again.

Even though he was found not guilty.

Compare that to Porter who's being paraded around by our national broadcaster.

I think it's quite obvious who is getting the better treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The BBC do not promote the hell out of the likes of Roy Chubby Brown, or Jethro , or Mike Reid (all ultra “blue” comics) yet RTÉ cannot get enough of Porter/Kavanagh?

Is it the gay camp angle?

If it was straight tits and fanny smut would Miriam and co be so enthusiastic ???

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭pgj2015

creep 🤮

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

‘Al was not fired from any of his jobs, and he never faced any charges regarding the allegations. Instead he chose to walk away.’

It was either that or be sacked. It’s not like he’d have been on the air while dismissal was taking place.

Who are that agents that keep getting these guys work? There must be a hundred other people who’ll do that panto job.

The article should’ve read ‘Al, not his real name, is also well known to have issues understanding consent, to put it mildly. Make sure to bring the kids along to this show!’

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

Advertisement