Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I make a complaint about a council tennant?

Options
  • 03-09-2023 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

I'll try to keep this short. More than 10 years ago (can't remember exactly when) our neighbours kindly decided to sell their house to the council. The family who moved in were 2 elderly parents and their very adult children (both now in their 50s). For the first number of years all was good. The father in particular was a good neighbour. Sadly he died in 2019. Things remained fine for the most part for a while. But once the lockdowns started easing after the initial covid pandemic it started becoming a party house. They're a very large family with endless siblings, cousins, grandchildren, etc. I called over a few times to ask them to keep things down with varying degrees of success.

Then, not long ago, the mother died too. Before that the parties would just be on Saturdays but now it can be any day of the week. They're out in their garden now. Which should be absolutely fine, it's a lovely summers day. But my worry is that this will turn into another all-nighter (which it probably will).

So I guess I have 2 questions. 1) Is there somewhere I can make a complaint. Hopefully where they'd be asked nicely to keep things down. or 2) am I being a bit of a middle-class w@nker about all this and I should just allow them to have their fun?

Also to note that we are very much in the process of selling up in the hopes of finding somewhere more suited to us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Local council should be the first stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

You'll need to call the council and talk to them. As to your second question, expecting good behaviour from neighbours is nothing to do with being a "middle class w**ker". I would expect civility from anyone, regardless of their class. The odd loud night here and there is something that anyone can live with, but constant noise is simply boorish behaviour.

All that being said, it's likely that the council will do nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Talk the Council first, they have dedicated staff who deal with ASB, but they usually cover a relatively large area, so they're reliant on reports to know there's a problem.

Then if that gets you nowhere you could consider opening a third party dispute with the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

make a record of all incidents including times and your actions. then call your local council.

Best of Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Had a similar issue in the past where a neighbour was dealing from the house. Multiple garda raids, non-stop callers at all hours and more than one incident where "visitors" were screaming threats through the letter box to the occupants.

Council refused to deal with any complaint via email, letter or phone; insisted on a face-to-face meeting before they'd initiate any investigation.

We'd been planning to move within a year or two anyway - this just accelerated our decision to sell up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Councils will do the sum total of nothing for you. They will just tell you they are dealing with it and then do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,892 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My parents had this problem a few years ago with the semi D attached rental next door. Mad parties till the early hours of the morning absolutely thumping.

They tried having a chat but it didn't work, parties continued.

So they stepped it up a notch. They would wait till the morning after the party, till there was a house full of delicate people nursing hangovers. They then took their own big stereo, put the speakers to the partition wall and played Kraftwerk: Autobahn on repeat all morning.

They eventually got the idea and the parties started finishing up at a reasonable hour.

Advertisement