Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm not cut out for social housing at all.

• 03-09-2023 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I got housed after 12 years on the housing list in a co-operative development towards the end of last year and I'm losing my mind. I've worked all my life but there is no way I would I be given a mortgage on my income, despite renting privately for 18 years previous to this tenancy. Anyway, I was so grateful to finally be able to save a few bob of my wages to give the kids some quality of life but I've been plummeted into the 7th circle of hell. Place is over run with children telling you to f*** yourself. Pelting houses with stones. Cars are battered In the driveways and if you approach a parent you are met with "kids will be kids". My kids aren't out terrorising the estate though so kids will be kids doesn't wash with me. I've complained to the relevant people to be told I'm just going to have to live with it for the next 14 months before I can even apply for a transfer, and I'll be lucky to ever get transferred. I'm at an absolute loss. I'm not cut out for this at all. I'm an anxious mess. I'm the type of person who will avoid confrontation at all costs. I don't know where to turn. I take every opportunity to get out of the house so I don't have to be here. That's no way to live. Anyone been in the same boat? How did you deal with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 miasmum

Edit* 17 years on housing list. Not 12 as I said in original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Icbaby

Can you do a swap? If you’re in a co-op then it’s a new build and may be fairly easy to get a swap to a different area. There are council houses in every estate in limerick. Not sure if you can swap or not but I see lots of posts/groups on fb that do it in the east (Dublin etc). I do believe you have to swap like for like there tho so 3 bed for 3 bed just in a diff location.

otherwise you will have to toughen up and be the house they don’t like attacking which can go one of two ways…..

One: they annoy the **** out of you because they can or they get a reaction or

two: they leave you alone cause your not worth the hassle.

Again depends on the co-op and where it is.

I had this previously and it took me 7 years to get out of there after they broke my car windows for fun, used my house windows to kick balls at etc. and their parents did not care one bit cause they weren’t annoying them.

That's my issue. If my kids carried on like the kids on this estate, they would be kept in never to see outside again until they were adults. Parents here don't give a fiddlers what their kids are up to. I'm withered from it. My friends and family don't visit me anymore because their cars have been battered in the drive. Its not just my house, it's many houses here. I have spoked to neighbours who have had enough too but no one is actually complaining, only me. Its a new estate yes, but I think its common knowledge how bad this place has gotten so a swap may be out of the question. I'm so angry, I was so thankful for this house but many others here just don't care. A new estate and its filthy. Co-op said they wanted "to build communities" I'm pretty sure they must have been joking. There is no way I'm going to last here. My nerves won't allow me. But if I move out, it's back to my mams and overcrowding because I can't afford 2000+ a month on rent. It's a catch 22 situation really.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭mode1990

I truly feel for you , I had a family member whose life was made miserable by feral "children " , criminal damage , graffiti to urinating in doorway , when challenged as you said your told to fuckoff , I approached the housing association and just got lip service , another friend also experiencing the same thuggery had the garda at his door accused of assault, they endured it and its only because they're older they've moved on , no doubt making someone else's life miserable , try cctv , the association must address it , I wish you all the best !

I have CCTV installed. It's just so unfair that the majority of people here are salt of the earth but there are a handful of families making this place a kip. I will be ringing co-op again this morning. I'm going to break their melt until they actually do something. They can get the problem tenants out, or me either way, im not bothered as long as i dont have to live like this. I came from an estate considered "anti-social" and it was nothing compared to this. Surely there should be an easier way though. Everything is a battle with public services!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭homingbird

Those kids need to be rounded up thrown in a van & left in the middle of nowhere to sort this out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...thankfully we dont live in such a world, so fantasize else where.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Sometimes a little bit of persuasion to get them the **** off is all that's needed, if you have any friends in the army maybe ask them to pop by some evening in the armoured SUVs for a cup of tea, you'll be left alone pretty quickly if the kids see this happening

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Abbey Lass

I think I'm living on the same estate. Moved in in December after ten years on housing list. We were private renting for 10 years. Like you, working all my life, paying private rent but couldn't get a mortgage.

I was told the same rubbish, building a community, family fun days, bringing everyone together!

Yes it's hell on earth. My anxiety is through the roof.

Friends and family haven't called since Christmas. They couldn't believe the state of the place with rubbish. They invite me out to give me a break from the place.

Anyway, just reaching out to you. Your not alone. I'm emailing daily and by phone as well. Don't stop!

Omg! I wonder are we in the same estate?! That would be crazy! But yeah, its too much. Its like we were fed a little hustle, given our keys and told tough s*** now, your stuck here. I'm so angry. I would have carried on renting privately and had less money for peace of mind. Hopefully if we are in the same estate and we make enough noise, they will eventually hear us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Sometimes there's more power in a group.

You said there are plenty of good failirs..so could as many as possible get together and approach council or even take it onto local or national radio?

It's Terri le that some parents have children that just can't be decent kids and leave others alone.

Best of luck. It's a crap situation to be in..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭65535

A lawn sprinkler helps - a chat to parents helps - move if you can - even to another terrace somtimes helps.

CCTV - if needs be go to the local representatives and suggest that you will withhold rent until resolved.

Don't have much of a lawn, our driveways are wide open, so no front gardens really. The children then think everyone's driveway is a free-for-all. We have a small patch of grass. I tried to plant some flowers and bushes and they were broken the same evening so gave up on that. I asked co-operative if my driveway was included in my property and they said it was and that I was responsible for it. I then asked why we have to put up with kids on the property we pay for? Answer? "Kids will be kids"

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Not the estate I'm in. I'm in one of the other ones. Your comment makes me think all co-operarive estates are the same then? Jeez i wish i'd known a year ago before i ruined my sanity! 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Abbey Lass

If you're in my estate you would know the house on the drive out that has put a bollard in their driveway with two large planters either side. Very good idea. The house is down from the playground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Even reading this thread puts me in a panic. Maybe like someone said before form some kind of neighbourhood group to do litter pickup, tree planting, general help, knowledge share, neighbourhood watch, etc etc and then at least you'd get to know your decent neighbors and the lie of the land and you would not feel so alone. And might spur on some other neighbors too.

I think we are in different estates. I have seen houses with large planters but none with bollards. At least I havnt seen any. Seems all cooperative estates are the same then. Its a pity because they have the potential to be great.

They have tried all this, people just don't show up and its a waste of resources. People just don't care here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I often wonder why some pol parties want to build more social housing.

So much anti-social behaviour, feral children.

Will it ever end?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you want to keep kids off your property, you're going to have to erect some form of barrier. Good walls make better neighbours. You may not want to foot the bill if you're trying to get out of there, but maybe the council could be persuaded to do something? If you can't enjoy the privacy of your own home because of kids constantly wandering in.

Unfortunatly, we are not allowed to put anything up around the driveways. I queried that already with them and was told no due to health and safety as they own the entire estate and if someone got hurt from it, they would be liable. I also asked would they put something up and was also declined on the basis that it wouldn't be in keeping with the rest of the estate. I'm fighting a losing battle.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It sounds tough on you. You probably need someone with experience of issues like this, which is unfortunately probably pretty common. Try contacting local councillors and see what they suggest?

Camera footage posted on youtube might make the law do there job as everyone in intitled to live in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Will more likely get the person posting in trouble rather than the people causing the problem. Dublin City Council got in trouble for putting up pictures of people illegally dumping. Posting videos of kids is not a good idea, the adults are quick to the law if they smell money or they will make your life even worse.

The law can't do anything as children go to the junior liaison officer and laugh at them. The councils put their worse tenants in these estates, or long term private rentals, so they don't have to deal with them. Watch the Garda shows on Virgin to see what the Gardai have to deal with.

Ok Dashcam of them messing take pictures of them from it you cant be traced stick them up on poles around the estate . It might rattle the parents of them if people are talking about them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

oh that is awful hugs

would putting up cameras deter them? Have you tried speaking to the community Garda? they can be really nice and helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Notmything

Wonder are the same co-op as the one who own the estate my brother in Carlow lives in.

Similar issues with kids and teenagers wrecking the place. It's a lovely looking estate with a small play area for younger kids.

Cars have been damaged, peoples front doors broken, rubbish thrown around etc.

He's complained numerous times to the co-op itself and the estates residents association but nothing ever happens, yet they're quick to ring and tell you to bring your bins in.

Tbh all you can do is keep at them and keep note of who you are speaking to. I'd suggest stopping going to the parents as you're leaving yourself open to complaints of harassment

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Depends on how feral they are, cameras will go one of two ways, either cause them to leave alone or, sadly, make you a target as they think it is funny and don't give a f*ck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Keep hammering the gards maybe. Tell them you fear for your safety which isn't a lie. Take as much evidence as you can as in pics, videos etc and take it to you local TD. Next step after that for me would be the media. The local stations where I am have good history in the past with things like this and once the radio stations involved the local councillors or Td can be quick to jump into action. All the best OP hope it works out.

Advertisement