Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2023 Ireland v Romania Buildup - Sat 09th Sep 14:30 Bordeaux

Options
  • 04-09-2023 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭

The start of a glorious campaign…

My best guess at the sides for the next two games:

v Romania - Ireland could win by 70+ points with this side

Keenan; Earls or Hansen, Ringrose, McCloskey, Lowe; Sexton, JGP; Kilcoyne, Kelleher, Furlong or Bealham; Beirne, Ryan; POM, vdF, Conan or Doris

Reps:

Herring, Loughman, Bealham or Fulrong, Henderson, Baird, Casey, Byrne, Henshaw.

v Tonga - Ireland could win by 10-15 points with this side

JOB; Hansen or Earls, Ringrose, Henshaw or Aki, Lowe; Crowley, Murray; Porter, Herring or Sheehan, Bealham; Henderson, McCarthy; Baird, Doris, Conan

Reps:

Sheehan or Herring, Kilcoyne, Furlong, Ryan, POM, Casey, Sexton, Aki or Henshaw.

Post edited by ionadnapokot on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Think JOB will more likely play full back against Romania than Tonga, with Keenan in for the later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Maybe JOB is still nursing the shoulder?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Hadn't thought of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I dont think Sexton and JGP will start this one together. Means not starting them against Tonga. Wouldn't be surprised to see Murray/Casey and sexton for Romania, and JGP with Crowley/Byrne for Tonga. And then go front choice pair from then on.

Is Kelleher even fit to start the first game?

Post edited by irelandrover on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I would imagine that those returning from injury will start this one if they are actually fit and able. Kelleher in particular needs game time and needs to be tested. Apparently he's fully fit so start him here and, if he does cop an injury (which he seems to do with alarming regularity), it provides the earliest opportunity to get Stewart in.

Similar situation for Conan who is apparently back in training.

Doris and Herring featured in all the warm ups. They aren't needed at all for this game outside of a bench appearance in the case of Herring due to no alternative.

I'd expect a fairly strong side but not full strength. Probably first choice halfbacks and centres but I wouldn't be too worried about the back three or the back row.

Something along the lines of Keenan, JOB, Ringrose, Aki, Earls, Sexton, JGP, Conan, VDF, Baird, Beirne, Ryan, Furlong, Kelleher, Kilcoyne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Sexton hasn’t played a game since March. There’s no way He’s going into the SA game cold. He will start one and probably bench the other of these two games I’d imagine. He needs match fitness of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Italy and Georgia both put 50 points on Romania in the warm ups, the US who didn't qualify beat them comfortably as well. Portugal and Georgia also both beat them comfortably in the 6 nations B tournament this year. They have only one player playing in the top 14, they have a handful in Pro D2 and the rest are in their domestic league. They are probably the weakest team in the competition. Maybe since its their first game Romania might really target it and they could put it up to Ireland for a while but its very hard to see Ireland not running up a massive score.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Where in my post did I suggest that Sexton goes in cold against South Africa? I was only talking about who starts and even then suggested that Sexton starts against Romania.

But since it wasnt clear apparently i edited my post that i dont think they start together

I expect the team is going to be more first choice than people suspect as I think Farrell will want good continuity in the build up to rounds 3 and 4.

I suspect wider speculation as to who is first / second / third choice in a number of positions to really kick off when we see the 23 for Romania.

Some suggestion on here about Bealham pushing ahead of Furlong. Possible but I didn't come away with that impression for the warm ups - more just a sign of how well Bealham is playing and Furlongs relatively poor season. If Bealham started this one I'd be more convinced he pushing for first choice but the context of the rest of the 23 could well temper that depending.

Similarly the starting and bench second row will be interesting. I think we know where things stand with the backrow.

We know our first choice back three, 10 and 13. There is some talk about Murray for Gibson Park for SA, if the coaches are thinking that then he'll be starting this one (I don't think they're thinking that).

I think Aki is shading the 12 battle at the moment but that's one I'm less certain of. If Farrell thinks Aki is match ready then another game for Henshaw or McCloskey wouldn't do any harm to keep them building, especially Henshaw as backup 13.

Bench will likely be the talking point depending on how we go. Second row and 10 cover probably the biggest question. As some have suggested, an injury might change who shifts into the starting team - but I'd say we'll be able to read a reasonable amount into the selection when looked at as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It’s worth noting that the weather forecast for Saturday in Bordeaux is for mid-30s. It’s going to be very uncomfortable playing in that during the hottest part of the day. We’ll win well, but between the sweaty ball and the heat I wouldn’t be expecting a vintage display.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I'd assume for any games Johnny's going to be involved in, he'll start in, right? Easier to control his minutes as a starter, pull him off when you want to vs. the potential of an injury or a HIA forcing him onto the pitch and having to stay on it for the full game? Or am I overthinking it.

He needs to start the next two games - he can't go into a ferocious contest with SA without having two hard enough run outs. He may only play a half or so, but I'm pretty certain he starts the next two games unless training has been extremely high intensity and they're ultra confident in his conditioning and match fitness.

I also think Sexton needs to start the next two games but shouldn't!

His age, injuries and hopefully a long run in the tournament it might be better to ease him back.

Don't like the idea of him starting against Tonga and getting smashed up before SA smash him up.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if its dry, ireland by 50. Romania to score one single try.

i just want to see ireland be clinical, have good discipline, and move the romanians around the pitch going coast to coast. no need to get into an arm wrestle with these guys at all. They will miss macovei from the back row and if they are without surugiu at 9 that will mean they are without over 200 caps of experience.

dont give a sucker an even break. We need to play high tempo and be patient by not throwing 50/50 offloads etc trusting our patterns and decision making to create the breaks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think he'll start against Romania and then we'll just see how he goes from there. If he needs another game, he needs another game. If he looks good I'd say they'll leave him on the bench for Tonga.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Going to miss this and Sco/Sa with stupid work

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

It's finally here, huzzah.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Sorry I misunderstood so, I read it as you suggesting Sexton didn’t start either Romania or Tonga.

Ireland v Romania RWC 1999

6 RWCs later and Ireland are now a rugby powerhouse.

Unlikely Romania will ever return to their "golden age"

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055754141/the-rise-and-fall-of-romanian-rugby

BOD DG on 81' 41v14 up. Romania should have collared him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I think I would go with:

1. Cian Healy
    2. Dan Sheehan
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. James Ryan
    5. Tadhg Beirne
    6. Peter O'Mahony
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Caelan Doris
    9. Blane McIlroy
    10. Paddy Jackson
    11. Jacob Stockdale
    12. Fua Leiofi Bundellu Aki
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. Mack Hansen
    15. Hugo Keenan
    16. Ronan Kelleher
    17. Cian Healy
    18. Finlay Bealham
    19. Robbie Henshaw
    20. Conor Murray
    21. Iain Henderson

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

I've seen players criticised as 'empty jerseys' but this is the first time I've seen them on a team sheet 😉

When did the dive pass and the swingy arm inside pass go out of fashion?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Suspect the dive pass has gone cause multi-phase play is more common and having to get off the ground to get the next phase just delays things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Sexton can't start both the first two games, that means he starts every game which he is available for. Farrell is obviously hoping Sexton stays fit for Ireland's full involvement and is planning around Ireland being in the final.

The chances of Sexton being fit to start every game en route to the final is low, he needs to be managed. He starts against Romania, then SA two weeks later, and against Scotland two weeks after that. Then it's every week on the trot and hope he holds up.

The second choice also needs to start against Tonga so that he isn't being thrown in cold should Sexton get injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

Bar a few players I think he'll play the majority of the strongest starting 15, only ones outside of them that I can see starting is Kellegher, McCloskey and one of of Earls/JOB

Think he'll want to start Conan if he's fit. Possibly McCarthy as a wild card to start but doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd say the first two games will be a shoot out between Henderson and McCarthy for the bench vs SA

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

Scrum half gets protection these days (ridiculous amounts!), hard for forwards to get near him e.g. offside line at the ruck.

The swingy arm inside pass!! Is that the type of pass BOD used to do?

• Advertisement

You see it in all the old videos. The Romania clip above and watching Ireland Australia from 1999 the other day just brought it back to me. Nearly all passes these days are either spin passes or hard, flat ones, compared to the sort of slow, pendulum-swing pass from the old days. The running style has changed a bit too.

Advertisement