Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2023 Ireland v Romania Buildup - Sat 09th Sep 14:30 Bordeaux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Yep.. it could be a long tournament holding tackle bags for some of the players outside the match day 23 If Ireland go full strength from the opening gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 inbloom427

All members of the squad will play an important role, along with a few replacements joining due to injuries. The idea of a “first XV” and “holding tackle bags” is so outdated… grow up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Sorry yeah a few might take turns running the water and kicking tee during the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Need fast ruck ball though, otherwise it'll be turtle phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Going full strength against Romania here isn't a good idea imo, but hey what the hell do I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I think it's going to be pretty much full strength the whole way through. I'm in agreement that we needed to go strong for Romania just for continuity and minutes in legs purposes.

Barring this game, there is not a whole lot of scope to be resting players anyway so we were always going to be asking our front-liners to go back to back the whole way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think it’ll be 13 or so of the strongest XV for Romania with 12/13 the following week against Tonga albeit a different 2/3 players rested then obviously full pelt for SA

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

we've an 18 / 15 split in the squad

we have 3 forwards carrying injuries

we need 13 forwards for the match day squad so that only leaves 2 of our squad forwards who wont have an involvement against Romania (probably Tom O Toole and AN Other) as we've heard that Joe Mc is starting

in the backs, Johnny will play, Henshaw needs more gametime to get up to speed (IMO), bundee has often taken that 23 shirt.

The 22 shirt will be interesting. If he goes JGP / Murray id like to see Crowley off the bench for the last 30, plus hes more versatile being able to cover 12 and 15 a well.

my suggested team:

Porter, Kelleher, Furlong, JMCC, Ryan, POM, JVDF, Doris, JGP, Sexton, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringer, Hansen, Keenan

Herring, Loughman, Bealham, Beirne, Baird, Murray, Crowley, Aki

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Chile Coach to No 23 - "Are you experienced ?"

I agree with your team though I think Beirne and Aki will start ahead of JoeMc and Henshaw. I think Sheehan will be on the bench going by pressers this week and for the same reason I think Byrne is possibly going to start or bench. Otherwise looks about right. I'm pretty convinced we'll rotate a good bit against Tonga and I think Crowley starts that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Know very little of about 21 of these players. Anyone give a lowdown of what level the players are playing at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

I thought Paul O'Connell said in the presser the other day that Sheahan wasn't quite ready, I think sexton starts this game and the next and gets a good 70 mins into him for this game. I think Farrell has a thing for McCarthy, said before that he might be a bolter as a starter and not just against Romania.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kuang1

Team naming at what time? Can we watch live?

12:30, not sure it's live, murray kinsellas twitter feed is the one to watch for the team announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

POM starting so its full strength for Romania

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kuang1

Crowley! Delighted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Big Joe out to prove he should start against South Africa.

I don't love the idea of dropping POM. But there is a lot to be said about having Beirne at 6 and Farrell clearly see it as a possibility too.

Either way.... this one is going to be a hefty score I should think.

Ireland at -61 on Skybet!! That might be the biggest one I've ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Has Beirne ever started at blindside for Ireland? Might be something we're looking at for later in the tournament.

Very good side all the same. Like that there's a lot of lineout prowess in the pack.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Worrying that Sheehan didn't make it - he had indicated he was fit during the week. No Hansen in what looks like a first choice team is surprising.

Not surprised by Aki but hard to know what to make of Josh on the bench.

That puts Crowley at no.2 in my opinion, unless Byrne is seen as preferred starter in Sexton's absence it looks like he's dropped to no.3.

Press duty during the week no longer hint at selection it seems!

101 for Earls. Keeps going!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Looks like Porter & Doris will have to start every game. Ringrose also.

Dont know where this leaves Byrne. Maybe bench v Tonga.

v Tonga

JOB; Earls, Ringrose, McCloskey, Hansen; Crowley, Murray; Porter, Kelleher, Bealham; Henderson, Ryan; Baird, vdF, Doris

Reps:

Sheehan or Herring, Kilcoyne, Furlong, McCarthy or Beirne, Conan or POM, Casey, Sexton, Aki or Henshaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah, ok, good mix as expected, but mostly very experienced and at the top of their game.

I'd honestly expect this Ireland team to put 80 on these guys, without breaking much of a sweat. The only priority is to put the game away early and take absolutely no risks with bits of knocks and strains. And also to mind guys in the heat, with the mid-afternoon kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

The beirne for vdf is the only surprising one to me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Has Beirne ever started at blindside for Ireland?

Pretty certain he has, and even has done for Farrell early on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Expecting substitutions good and early for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

I'm guessing this is a dry run for Beirne at 6 for the SA game and nothing else. IMO it shows that they're a leaning towards a back 5 of Hendo, Ryan, Beirne, VdF and Doris with JMcC and POM benching for the SA game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Sexton starts. Fingers crossed he is ok.

Mid 30s temperature for kick off.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement