Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2023 Ireland v Romania Buildup - Sat 09th Sep 14:30 Bordeaux

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Happy with that, not sure any other country bangs on about resting players quite so much as we do. We've a rest week after South Africa too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Romania look to be very weak indeed - I watched extended highlights of their game against the US a few back and they lost by a decent margin to a mediocre at best US team.

The heat could definitely be a factor at least in terms of fitness.

Trying to play high tempo in 34/35 degree weather won't be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Looks like Ireland are going easy on Romania.. left the current world player of the year off the starting 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah I expect a 50 pointer margin. Romania were lucky to get in and have a bunch of injuries to starting players.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

With Conan out it forced their hands to rotate Beirne into the backrow. I can only see Beirne, Ryan and POM all starting v SA.

Its McCarthy v Henderson and Baird v Conan for the bench spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

This is certainly the most likely scenario for sure. And one I'm in favour of due to it being tried and tested in some of our biggest wins in recent years.

But Farrell is clearly looking at viable ways of getting 3 locks on the pitch at the same time. And I don't think it's to counteract Romanias formidable pack.

I do think our game how we've played it is more than enough to beat South Africa, and I think calls to put out the biggest beefiest pack from certain quarters has been overstated.

But that's not to say that Beirne at 6 would be a very good option if Joe McCarthy proves he's up to it.

If South Africa throw a bunch of forwards off the bench at once, and you have VDF available to come on - you get a line speed bump that might mitigate some of the hard carrying. Dunno - Hansen the biggest surprise to me.

Earls going to eat right into BOD's Ireland try scoring record.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd hold back on the belief that this is first choice or an indication that some will start every game.

There's a few obvious changes that will happen both in the team and the 23. I'm not sure if they're looking to hold a couple of first team guys back for the Tonga match or if some are carrying minor knocks but I'd fully expect guys like VDF and Hansen now to start against Tonga along with guys from the first choice bench like Bealham, Kilcoyne, Henderson etc.

I think this is to get a run out for the bulk of the first team and some minutes into their lungs and then a number of them will rest/bench for Tonga to fully focus on the SA game.

SA have Romania before us so they will almost certainly play a near full second string side for that game and be nicely rested for our game. I don't see us going full strength (or close to) against Tonga on the same basis. Tonga are a tougher proposition but they have been, by and large, a massive let down given the buzz around their initial wider squad selection. I might be wrong but I think the only team that Tonga have beaten in the last 2-3 years is Canada. They're closer to the likes of Romania than they are to Georgia.

Fitness pending, for the Tonga game, I'd expect something along the lines of: JOB, Hansen, Henshaw, McCloskey, Hansen, Byrne, Casey, Conan, VDF, Baird, Henderson, McCarthy, Bealham, Kelleher, Kilcoyne. Subs: Herring/Sheehan, Porter, Furlong, Beirne, POM, Murray, Crowley, Ringrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I'd go along with most of this. Most here are giving Tonga credit they don't deserve. In any case, the schedule demands that we rest a lot of the front liners against Tonga and they start preping for SA instead. The wider squad players getting the job done against Tonga is as much a part of earning the right to be world champions as beating the top teams.

Farrell can’t send the first choice lads out every week and expect them to be able to perform at the level required against a rested France/NZ in the quarters. The gap between the SA and the Scotland games doesn't mean much given our toughest games are backloaded to the end of the pool stage. Getting through the quarters and semis means managing the squad. Farrell has clearly been building a squad the last few years with this in mind.

For Tonga I'd expect much the same team but with Earls and Crowley to start. If Crowley is backup 10 then he needs the game time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Re. Romania, I do feel a degree of sympathy for those Spanish players for whom Saturday would/should have been the start of a historic, crazy period where they got to play Ireland & South Africa at the WC - and yet instead a mess-up with player registration has resulted in them staying at home, while an inferior team took the place, all over again IIRC 2019 correctly.. (mind you, Portugal are probably feeling the reverse: delighted for Spain's mishaps, given they got into the repechage)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,691 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I do feal for Spain too - Romania are weak, dont understand the need to play a near full strength team , Id be given squad players game time, cause after Romania , is when the real tests begin , Rumania pre tournament results are shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Can only assume the 23 to face Tonga will be much more of a second string team than originally thought.

e.g.

Loughman, Sheehan, Bealham,

Henderson, McCarthy,

Baird, Conan, Van der Flier,

Casey, Byrne,

O’Brien, McCloskey, Henshaw, Hansen,

Keenan.

R: Kelleher, Kilcoyne, O’Toole, Beirne, O’Mahony, Gibson-Park, Sexton, Earls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Irelands record win is 83 - 3 over the USA in 2000.

This will be broken on Saturday.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I'd say it's almost certain that JOB will be fb against Tonga with Earls on the wing. No need for Keenan to play two games before SA. Earls won't be starting against SA so he can play both the opening games.

Id be holding back Van derFlier and especially Keenan against Tonga - and I'd have Crowley at 10. - Byrne could do it , but will be Tongas first game , theyll be fired up and way tougher than Romania

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Who would you pick instead of Keenan and would Byrne need the game time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

A slow, steady and injury free 8 point win would do just fine.

No need to be running ourselves into the ground in 37 degree heat. Nobody needs to be shedding 6/8kg of body weight with a tough game 7 days later.

No need to be opening a lot of the playbook.

Get sexton gametime and a chance to blownout some Cobweba

Get the basics of the setpiece right and everything else will take care of itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Ireland dont need to run themselves ragged to run up a score against Romania...therell be plenty of first phase scores....

Cork Con would beat Romania.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Romania are the worst team in the competition by a significant margin. Ireland have to demolish them.

This team should put in an exhibition against them.

• Advertisement

O'Brien at full back, I'd bring Byrne on once the game is nearly won, thats where hes at right now - The biggest thing we will learn from Saturday is where Sexton is at , hopefully not too rusty or doesnt pick up a niggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Get a 12-15 point lead and control the tempo and clock for the rest of the game.

The world cup isnt won by the them with the best points difference in the pool

use the bench early for some players like henshaw and later for crowley.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Shank Williams

Just seen a headline in Irish times “Tadhg furlong “we will treat Romania with the respect they deserve “- surely he is having a sly dig there- it can’t be genuine can it? Considering Romania have absolutely no business near a rugby World Cup even if they had managed to qualify- which they did not- here on a technicality and about to make a mockery of the competition

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I wouldn't think so. Seems like a pretty bog standard, media-trained type response to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah I would doubt Furlong feels any need to be a dick to the Romanians

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Shehal

Ofcourse it's not genuine, they arent going to come out say "their f**king sh!te" are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kuang1

Or even "they're f**king sh!te" for that matter.

Advertisement