Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NDLS so slow!

Options
  • 04-09-2023 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Wondering if anyone has dealt with the NDLS in the last month or so and if so, how long have you had to wait to be issued your licence?

I'm waiting to receive my new licence and it is taking ages!

I'm off to the UK soon and I'm hoping to test drive a couple of bikes, I'd prefer to have my licence rather than a certificate and a learner permit!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

the Cert and LP are not valid outside the EU, so don't go making a trip without it.

Lead time on a recent licence in this house was 3 weeks.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They aren't valid outside Ireland and technically you can't drive unaccompanied till you have the drivers licence in your hand in Ireland. The only thing you can use to drive in a foreign country is a drivers licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

I currently have a full A1 which I've held for years, I decided to use the progression route to get an A2.

I sat my theory, got the permit and booked my IBT. Then everything slowed down - a delay in getting the code from the NDLS, then had to go for a face to face meeting in the NDLS centre as it wouldn't let me do it online. I phoned last week and was told everything was in order and that they weren't sure what the delay was.

Trip has been booked for ages for other purposes, had just hoped to test ride a few bikes while I was over there to help me pick my new bike.

No sure about driving unaccompanied in Ireland Del2005, motorcyclists are allowed, once they have passed their IBT.

I find that if you ring RSA they are helpful, worth a call.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭gipi

Driving unaccompanied doesn't apply to motorbikes, does it?

• Advertisement

Rang them earlier, they are going to try and get it escalated. Not sure why they are so busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭muddle84

You can't ride a motorbike on the road without an IBT. You can't carry a pillion until you have a full license so it just doesn't apply to a motorbike!

You can, but you are not supposed to! This is all slightly off topic from my original post but, the RSA website states

'The unaccompanied driver law applies to all drivers with a learner permit for the category of vehicle they are driving.

It does not apply if you are:

You can do whatever you want on a motorbike with no license or IBT, you don't even need to own the motorbike!!!!! But it doesn't means its legal 😉

• Advertisement

'accompanied' in the context of drivers of any class, means accompanied by a full licence holder (of 2 yrs+ experience iirc), who can take over if required. Clearly that's not going to be the case on a 'bike.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

I was once asked did I cycle it back from Germany.....😆 so I wouldn't be too hard on anyone talking about driving motorbikes.

To Drive: operate and control the direction and speed of a motor vehicle.

You should try it sometime, motorbikes are great fun😉

• Registered Users Posts: 35,053 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nobody drives a motorcycle, people ride a motorcycle. 👍️ this isn't being pedantic, driving a vehicle which steers is a totally different thing from riding a vehicle which leans. It's like driving a cart pulled by horses as opposed to riding a horse.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breezin

Not that this is any help at all, but I found the NDLS to be the rudest people I've dealt with in a long time. Seemed to be mean and nasty for the sake of it and without any justification -- I had everything in order on the day.

My glowering licence picture always reminds me of that most unpleasant experience.

EDIT/PS: In contrast to the days in River House (showing my age now). There, once you'd navigated the terrible queues, you'd have a nice old chat. God, I sound like a pensioner!

Jaysus, River House, I remember sometime in the 80s spending hours queueing up the stairs with my ma to get in there and tax my da's car. Presumably it was late, if it'd been on time a cheque in the post would have sufficed surely? I think there were massive queues at the end of each month because if you went over it you had to pay more. The car involved was an Austin Metro. I later learned to drive in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Back in my day, this was all fields!!!

NDLS is a great example of how everyone loves to complain about public services, then they get privatised and cost more money and the service gets worse...

Well in our house between tests, permits etc etc over the last 3 years, I've found NDLS to be very good tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
Advertisement