Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drogheda south side to merrion square commute Mon-Fri

• 04-09-2023 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All

I am considering moving to the south side of Drogheda, and commuting to Merrion Square, is the commute doable long term ?

What would the car commute be like, if starting work at 7 ?, Is it doable in an hour ?, and returning at 3pm

What is the best alternative to the car commute?, bus eireann / matthews or the train , on paper it appears to be bus eireann ?

Is this viable long term?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I do it about once a month by train, getting the 07:36 from Drogheda, arrives into Pearse around 08:46. It can be expensive, a day return is nearly 20 quid. The 101X bus might be another option but I never tried it for this run. That would only be about €5-ish each way. Not sure if I could do it every day, commuting from Drogheda by public transport is longer than it might look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭munsterfan2

I did this for a number of years, the problem is the enterprise train only gets you to Connolly and by the time you change etc you may as well walk, so you are talking 10 minutes to get to Drogheda Station, 45 minutes for Enterprise & a 15 minute walk, so minimum 1:15, probably closer to 1:25 give train reliability. If you take the slower train, it takes an 1h 10, with the shorter walk, but still up at 1h30.

5 days a week, people do it but it's tough. ( IFSC is easier as cuts on walk ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,147 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

consider cycling to/from Connolly - there's a bike lane nearly the whole way to Merrion Sq if you go across the O'Casey bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rabc365

Hi all

Cheers for the advice, I have tried driving up to the train station in drogheda from work in the afternoon, a few times, too my surprise it only took an hour to be honest, I found the drive fairly easy, because its a straight enough run, I am sure I can improve on the time through trail and error, and when the clontarf cycle track is finished, it should make a big difference to the traffic, sure there will be days when nothing moves, that be the same for the bus as well, the car commute I think will be more reliable than the bus, I will have to try it in the mornings next .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭furiousox

If you're leaving Drogheda at 6am and leaving Dublin at 3pm, you're in the sweet spot traffic wise.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
Advertisement