Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC HD free to air sky?

Options
  • 04-09-2023 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, my parents have had a sky box with just the free channels since for at least the past decade and a half. How that BBC are switching to only broadcasting on HD, does anyone know if they could just upgrade the box to the HD version and be fine?

mod:edited for language

Post edited by icdg on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭goldiefresh

Yes just swap old for new. Get a hdmi cable in one of the euro shops while your at it. Either a sky hd box or a Freesat hd box will do the trick. If there tv is relatively new it might have a satellite tuner built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭decor58

If your parents have an sd box it will have reset to UK when a sub card was removed, giving BBC 1 on 101 etc. A HD box will give you free to air channels but will not reset to UK, ie if it was used in RoI it will retain RTE1 on 101, a UK sub card would be needed to put BBC1, etc, otherwise BBC will be at something like 147, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fartman666

Yeah there's doesnt but it does have a hdmi input and I bought a cable to test a ps3 that I'm not using (still playing that on a crt with coaxial lmfao). I'll keep on the lookout for one. Who knows, could probably figure out something to do with the old one

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fartman666

Fair, but does that mean bbc will be on it? They just put all the channels they watch on the blue button so the number doesn't matter too much just as long as they can actually watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭decor58

Yes, BBC will be there, at whatever number but ITV won't be, I stand to be corrected but I am fairly sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

If you’re spending money you are better off buying a Freesat HD box to be honest. You can pick up second hand Sky+HD boxes quite cheaply but a Freesat HD box will give you the full Freesat EPG including ITV and C5 and their sister channels.

Advertisement