Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Yep, @Fanirish makes zilch sense on this. Stating that indie acts don’t draw crowds when Primavera Sound has been progressively bigger by providing a festival with exactly such acts. The recent struggle has come with a move away from that. See also Coachella and EP in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭endainoz

Riiiiight, and none of those things will ever happen again, gotcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Stillill42

The demise of this thread is one of the great cultural disasters of the 21st century. It used to be my happy place on the Internet. You guys are too good for this. There's no music to talkabout ffs. The Green Man Cinedrome lineup came out yesterday and it's more interesting than the EP main announcement. Not a word of a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭antfin

I wonder will SOFT PLAY be added to the second announcement. They have that weekend free and they have a new album on 1 July, added to Glastonbury along with numerous other festivals this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭rubick

Looking at The Other Stage at Glastonbury, which I understand Melvin is involved in booking, Soft Play are there. So could we see any of the following:

Bombay Bicycle Club

Anne-Marie

Confidence Man

The Snuts

The Streets

Bloc Party

Tems

The Staves

Two Door Cinema Club

Nothing But Thieves

I won't hold my breath of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭thebronze14

That would greatly enhance the festival. Half of them even. I expect the two I haven't listened to

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭antfin

Big Special also have a gap in their schedule on the Friday and Saturday before they do Green Man on the Sunday. They're doing back to back nights across lots of different countries amd nothing for Ireland yet so it would be a big miss if EP hasn't booked them for one of the days. I've had the new album on repeat, quality stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭Fanirish

nah Melvin not involved in booking Glastonbury. Festival republic were involved in logistics /operations for a decade but no longer involved in any capacity. Other stage booking is overseen by Nick Dewey (Emily eavis husband and chemical brothers co manager)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭rubick

• Advertisement

sure Melvin not that involved in EP booking. Zack Desmond (heir to MCD empire) is main EP Booker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Cancelled their Irish dates that were booked by mcd, so a possibility i guess.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rockterrain

You'd imagine the bad press on EP line-up since announcement will put the pressure on a better second announcement. Won't hold my breath though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

they could have shat themselves silly but given the lateness of the announcement, if they wanted to fix it, it’s both too late and would be too expensive to fix it.

And that’s a massive if! From their pov the line out is likely a massive hit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Not mythical in the sense that it won't happen, but mythical in the sense that anyone would believe it will be any good. Probably next month some time.

Article isn't really about boomers, mostly people in their late 30s and 40s. Nostalgia does sell though yes, people generally stop finding new music from their mid 30s onwards. Folks on this thread being the exception of course 😀

Yeah, the point about the increasing difficulty of festivals catering for the whole spectrum certainly feels relevant. The narrowing of EPs music and punter base is deliberate and, it seems, successful. The festivals that are attracting me more, the EOTRs and Green Mans of this world, while there's great diversity in the music, the crowd are all of a similar mindset. That thing abou tacts and punters wanting to see themselves reflected in what's around them feels truer. Those nostalgia fests might have been dissed in the past but there's a lot to be said for the air of community and general goodwill to all men that you invariably find at them. Maybe that's how the kids will feel when they finally shepherd the last of us oul lads out the gate in Stradbally.

Nail on the head with the sense of community bit, that's seen at stradbally every year at the salty dog with TCM.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

When Calvin Harris dawns the stage I think I’ll have a couple of cans on this new bridge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Himselfe

Just to come back on my post a few days back (I've been away so catching up now) regarding TM and their intention to keep money on tickets not fully paid up on the installment plan, I have to say I'm quite frankly shocked at the nonchalance and indifference in some of the replies from people who think this is ok. Some of the replies read like a dystopian future type response from an emotionless AI bot:, "they should have known better, blah blah blah, should have read the small print". Give me a f*cking break. This attitude, defending such policies and enabling monopolist behemoths like TM and Live Nation to trample over ordinary people in the name of profit will be the undoing of the likes of EP and flies in the face of what a music festival is all about.

The person I referred to (a close friend who got 2 tix for him and his wife) has been to every EP since 2014. Two emails from Ticketmaster, a couple of weeks apart, went into their spam folder so weren't noticed. Had they been noticed it would have been addressed. He only checked after seeing it mentioned by someone else on social media. Any other organisation worth their salt who is owed money in the order of hundreds of Euro and has any sort of respect for their customers would have sent a letter or made a phone call or some sort of effort to make sure everything was clear or to fix it up. An email that Ticketmaster no doubt know is likely to be marked as spam is simply not good enough.

Anyway, he called TM to resolve the issue who said it was too late and that all money was forfeit. After calming down (needless to say he was enraged) another call the next day threatening legal action was swiftly met with a transfer to a more senior person who took a final payment over the phone. He won't be going now, decided his money is better spent elsewhere and will sell his tickets as soon as TM, who now have his money and can for some reason decide whether or when he can sell them to someone else, let him.

All hail our Ticketmaster/LiveNation/Festival Banana Republic overlords.

On another note, for the first time in a long time since I've attended EP I'm still struggling to find anything at all in the lineup so far that has me really excited. Thank goodness for ATN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Fair dues to your mate OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Yeah, I think it's pretty low to try and keep the money, particularly since people posing in installments would typically be more likely need the money the most. Glad your friend got refunded.

As I was saying above, anyone challenging them legally will get their cash back (or the option of completing the purchase). Ticketmaster are relying on people not pursuing it. It’s the behaviour of bullies.

Same with taking dodgy landlords to court for not returning your deposit or wrongly threatening eviction. Ditto broadband/phone providers, insurance companies, etc not fulfilling their contracts. They’ll pay you off if you threaten or instigate legal action or call the regulators on them.

These people skirt around the law and rely on people not challenging them. The more that take them on the more they’re pegged back.

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

ETA: This was quoting @Seathrun66 post 4861 but the quote seems to have dropped off.

I have no problem accepting that an equity decision would always go in favour of the ticket buyer because the festival is sold out and the seller will be able to get the money from someone else.

But this has been a term of installment sales going back to at least 2016 (presumably further that's just when I bought my first one) and Fanirish has indicated it's likely a condition of LN across all their instalment plans. Back then EP wasn't an immediate sell-out and it sounds like some other LN festivals with installment plans might have tickets available on the weekend.

How do you see the decision going if the seller would be out of pocket by refunding the buyer? Presumably that would be unfair to the seller and the buyer would lose their challenge and be out of pocket.

Other festivals offer their instalment plans through klarna or a similar finance company. Who wins in that scenario.

• Advertisement

klarna will sell the debt to a collection agency and if any instalments are unpaid they will chase you. You will have gotten your ticket already though.
    my point was non refundable deposits are common though out industries and that’s what ticketmaster instalment tickets are until final payment. The legal/contractual rule is that ticketmaster/FR have legal and contract right to the deposits paid.
    morally obviously it’s crappy if they don’t facilitate the final payment after the deadline or issue refund.

Advertisement