Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

There seems to be a naive belief amongst some posters that because something is in a contract you’ve signed then it’s set in stone. This is not true. Otherwise the courts would not be full of contract disputes. Because something is written down and you’ve signed it is irrelevant. We’ve all signed horsesh1t agreements at some stage or other and most won’t bear close examination. It’s in the interest of many corporations that these contracts don’t get scrutinised.

Almost all the tenancy agreements I’ve examined are illegal and wouldn’t last ten minutes in court. Ask any housing lawyer or personnel in CAB offices, etc. Landlords chancing their arm and fully aware that they’re rarely challenged.

Similarly with the TM clause retaining the instalment monies. Consumer legislation is quite tight and this retention of money would not withstand scrutiny in court. Hence TM will ensure that it never gets to court. Any individual making a formal complaint and taking legal action will get your money returned. A large group of people taking a class action would be paid off. With no admission of liability by TM. The test case that would go against TM would set a precedent preventing them from ever doing this again and they will want to avoid that at all costs. They’d also have to pay the legal costs for their failed defence and return cash to every person they historically retained cash from. That’s a lot of money.

TM are also not out of pocket as the final instalment is usually due 3/4 months before the event to allow them a significant amount of time to re-sell. They’ll also retain any admin and other fees which more than covers their costs. Very different if the event was taking place two days after the final instalment and TM couldn’t resell but that’s not the case. In this instance all of the returned instalment tickets have undoubtedly already been sold on. How do you think they’ll get on in court explaining to a judge/magistrate that a €300 ticket has generated €500 in income for them after retaining the instalment cash. Won’t happen. They know they’ll lose. They’ll do everything to prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

As I said I've no problem with all that but your last paragraph doesn't really answer the question in my second last paragraph. In a hypothetical situation where a festival hasn't sold out and doesn't sell out by the time it happens "How do you see the decision going if the seller would be out of pocket by refunding the buyer?"

Just because they have time to resell doesn't mean they'll be able to if the demand isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭Fanirish

….

A trickier scenario as I said above but the judge/magistrate would act pragmatically if it ever got to court and that will NEVER happen. My entire point is that anyone losing their instalment payments who challenges TM will either get refunded and/or given the opportunity to pay the final instalment.

Legal hypotheticals won’t come into it as TM would never allow a claimant to get to court. They cannot allow themselves to be in a scenario where the could lose significant money through a precedent AND have their business practices forensically scrutinised. Hence you don’t hear of cases against them being listed at either the Small Claims Court or any other avenue for litigation. They stop it every time..

I’ll buy beers at the Salty Dog for anyone who goes to the Small Claims Court and loses their €25 fee. #ChallengeTM

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Are we really ‘done’ with the x6 acts on the line up poster? Kinda feel there’s room in between Raye and Kyle, & Cinnamon and kahan!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭endainoz

As I say every year, it's the hope that kills you.

Yes but keep in mind the increase in capacity now @75k, woefully lineup for such a large audience.

Of the acts I expected/hoped for only NewDad, Nas, Kneecap & The Waterboys turned up so it’s hard for me to guess what we’ll get. Undoubtedly more shite and a lot of good young Irish acts plus decent eclectic acts for the SD, Croi and Jerry. We’ll also get more from APE and Rock-en-Seine but hard to second-guess the FR bookers. Maybe Thundercat, Inhaler, The Last Dinner Party, Floating Points, Ezra Collective, Mitski, TV Girl, The Kills, etc.

I still believe there’s a serious chance of LCD starting the second leg of their European tour here as they’ve done before. We’ve had this discussion on James Murphy before so let’s not go over it again and see what happens. I’d not be surprised by an EP announcement at the start of July after their Malahide show and Glasto sub-headliner. At this stage it’s all conjecture unless acts are ruled out by clashes.

Fontaines cancellation a mess and Lana Del Rey feels like a huge loss now giver her Reading/Leeds booking. Unless of course that’s a coup that FR pull out of the hat (very unlikely) as a late surprise. They still have a possibility of turning it around (for us lot anyway) with a solid 15 acts that appeal. Ain’t asking for much out of circa 45 main arena artists to be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Can see myself rocking along to this after a few Jameson and SoundCloud's...all I'm saying is just give the hot chick a chance...

https://open.spotify.com/track/2BFnfCnAW6O1a1vZ8NZvkO?si=fpKY7QCjSbmAMJknIESvdA&context=spotify%3Aplaylist%3A37i9dQZF1DX4W3aJJYCDfV

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rockterrain

It really is poor. I'd like to also know how much they are paying on artists fees. No tier one acts amongst the six headliners - a couple of has beens and then new acts with barely an album between them. They're really taking the public for a ride. I can see people voting with their feet next year and waiting for a line-up announcement first.

• Advertisement

€500k each minimum for the 3 headliners and between €200-350k each for the 3 sub headliners. Probably €2m budget thereabouts for the 6 headline acts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I'd honest to God jump at a totally scaled back festival in the same spot with just the satellite stuff, Salty Dog, Jerry, Trailer Park, Body and Soul back in, the old OV tent, Mother DJs etc. 5000 capacity, some basic glamping, some independent brewers. Exactly the same level acts that those stages are/ were booking. I presume Melvin has the clout to veto that, but that would be a great weekend for me. Just take the main arena out of the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

• Registered Users Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

that would be pretty standard for festival headliners.

Yeah, you aren’t getting a headline act for a 50-70k festival in europe for less than €400-500k (unless your glasto)

not bonkers at all, all those 6 acts would sell out between 1 and 3 nights at the 3 arena without much difficulty.

Yes but EP headliners are of much lower stature than headliners at other comparable festivals.

Yes but per points well made by many in this thread it is debatable whether you could call these proper headline acts.

All of them can comfortably sell between 20-40k tickets in ireland with little to no hassle. By definition that’s EP headliner calibre. Much as people on here might rightfully think certain headliners are atrocious they all sell tickets in the tens of thousands here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Recent concert history here in ireland is just a google away.

EP booking fees have been subject to court case in prior years and other sources

I was actually going to qualify here as odd one out as she hasn’t done headline show here since she blew up in last 12 months. Would say she is 3 arena level now at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

not arguing the quality but let’s look at our premier venue here, the point.

If Kylie (or the others) do the Point at 12,500 tickets (less than capacity) for €50 a head, that’s €625,000 in ticket sales alone. That’s similar ballpark if you knock 125,000 off that for non fee costs.

note 1 : Yer lads kahan and Cinnabon must be caning in the cash.
    note 2 : You’re not seeing Kylie in the point for €50, barely seeing anyone there for that.
    note 3 : this is pure back of ciggie packet calculation
    note 4 : Christ, I’d really love a ciggie right now, not had one in years but a right goo has descended

general rule of thumb in the industry is 1/3 of ticket revenue.
    noah kahan sold out Belfast vital at 30,000 x £61. That £1.8m in revenue so his fee would be around £500k mark at a minimum. So if he is getting that for playing Belfast the night before EP you can be certain that’s what’s his price is for stradbally show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Big rollback from "900k for Kahan" on 'ere I see. Will be 1/4 mill by August.

500k minimum, could been closer to €750k. Doubt even Billie eillish got €900k, though she did a bunch of FR festivals in a package deal so exact breakdown between reading/Leeds/EP is hard to even guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Did you not suggest he could be paid a million?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

looks like everyone here, even those purporting to be "in the know", really haven't a clue about the figures involved here.

Advertisement