Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

You sure about that bud? I only started going in 2013 but i've never heard anyone say she played before and Setlist.fm is usually pretty reliable identifying if anyone has played. Googling (not as good as it used to be) returns exactly zero results.

edit : concertarchives.org is also showing Vicar St as flagged by farnish

Post edited by scruff monkey on

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭jams100

Feels, but schedule lines up for most e.g. TDCC and Grennan both playing in Ireland that weekend. (Very surprised if at least 8/11 of those acts don't turn up).

Fontaines playing the Fri in Belgium and Tues in Turkey, so if they turn up can probably pencil them in for Sunday, but that would be a very tight schedule for them?

Hopefully Noah isn't "the act".

Snarky Snark Snark

David Duchovney, there was a tweet did viral numbers a while back and it described him in an epic manner.

I aspire to lounge about like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭dav09

Considering Noah was practically unknown/didn't have many hits then Melvin made the comment I don't think it's him, he's grown big only in the past year really.

There's a good few I'd take off that Latitude lineup, it is also a FR festival but seems there's less crossover than some of their other festivals usually, I remember before things changed there was more so crossover between that and Longitude many years back.

Kasabian would be fun. London Grammar were one act that surprised me at EP 2022, didn't really plan on going to them but thought their set was excellent, very different and powerful, would gladly see them back.

• Advertisement

Would imagine its an either or between Cinnamon and Sam Fender, couldn't see both appearing (only my opinion of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Fanirish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Yeah may just have been a case of the organisers doing a good job/getting lucky of booking an act before they became more in-demand and would demand a higher fee. Fwiw since the earlier discussion of how popular Noah Kahan is, I've heard two of his songs out in the wild several times.

@Fanirish what goes into deciding what kind of fee an artist demands to perform? Clearly it's not just about how "hot" they currently are. Kendrick Lamar was one of the top 5 most streamed artists of 2017 and still got booked in for 2018 at EP along with some other fairly high-profile acts. Meanwhile, the likes of U2 or AC/DC who are both well past their prime in terms relevance or popularity are able to demand fees far beyond what EP could ever afford to pay. Is it about the fact that they will have older fanbases who can shell out more for tickets to see them? Or is it just on the strength of having a back-catalogue of older hits that people still recognise even if there isn't that much popular interest in hearing their new material?

I think it's all relative to how much they can demand i.e how many tickets they could sell here at what price. Kendrick back then could sell out a night or two in the 3arena Vs U2 who could charge nearly double for a ticket and sell out multiple nights in Croke Park. Also the industry has changed a lot since 2018 so it's a different story now. A lot of companies use Spotify as a benchmark but I've always felt it's a terrible benchmark. (I know a lot of people who don't use Spotify incl myself as I don't agree with the model)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Voldemelv realised 5 or 6 years ago that "curating" something interesting was a mug's game. And he's no mug. The effort in selling out quickly, keeping things interesting, challenging themselves in Fest Repub wasn't worth it. They could bust their balloons and pay millions putting on something really interesting and no one would show. What was once championed by the "music press" was now passé - possibly toxic. Now, socials and streams rule the roost. This populist approach offered resilience to competition and market pressure. Resilience comes from growth, and growth comes from shift away from music-fan centred fest to an event targeted and tailored for tiktok obsessed 17 year olds with free spotify accounts drinking tyskie in the campsite until 7pm each day. Limited risk of taking a punt on a big band with big fees.

Streaming numbers justify booking decisions to pleb audience and gullible music fan twats like me that grew used to enjoying a proper music event in the past can suck it.

The gullible old berks make do with fringe scraps like Salty Dog whilst the 17 year olds enjoy headliners with that one familiar song they can put on Instagram. If you want good music, this isnt for you anymore.

• Advertisement

It’s literally the history of how many tickets they have sold in ireland in recent years which determine fees. For kendrick he was at arena level in europe in 2018, he did one night in 3 arena in feb 2018 and even more recently in 2022 when they had him do two nights in 3 arena he struggled to sell the second night. That puts him in EP headliner price range. His agent knows he is good for 25,000 tickets in ireland so if EP offer €500,000-€750,000 the agent they deem that fair enough.

also with festival republic they usually do package deals for headliners, they will offer agent reading, Leeds and EP as one package for a few million.

AC\DC as proven by croke park and previously Aviva show can sell minimum of 60,000 tickets in ireland at €100 plus i.E €6m in ticket sales. Their fee would probably be in around €2m range. cause they can sell alot of tickets.

If Kendrick Lamar or any other hot could sell 60,000/80,000 tickets in a small country like ireland then their fee will be in €1/2m range.

there is Irish exceptions to the rule, someone like dermot Kennedy who did 2 nights at marlay park last summer could very easily accept an offer to play Electric Picnic.

Post edited by Fanirish on

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭corm500

Is the Zombies that are on the Sunday the 60s band? Didn't know they were still touring.

I would say FR do at least need to keep it somewhat interesting and will be kept on their toes from history, not to be static and to book some interesting acts. The festival business is a tough game, how many great festivals or large festivals of past are completely gone now. Oxegen being the biggest example here but more in the UK/abroad, it went from selling 80000 in 2011 to just over 20000 in 2013. The industry shifted quickly and the changes made didn't attract the numbers, plus mismanagement of previous festivals i.e. traffic, crime, etc didn't help. There will always be another festival snapping at their heals eventually should they sense any weakness.

Hope they can get headliners/top tiers right this year, it's looking more positive from the R&L lineup but time will tell, there is great choices with some of the lower down tier acts but realistically if you go to the other Irish festivals you will end up seeing a lot of those anyway over the years. Niall Horan, Paolo Nutini, The Script is one of the most bizarre mish mash of headliners I've ever seen and difficult to know who they are even targeting with that, really think they got it very wrong objectively. I personally know a lot of people in the target age group they've completely alienated over the past few years not to mind in the older age brackets, and think they've gotten a lot right with some things but feel a lot wrong too with booking policy but time will tell, obviously it is selling well now which seems to be their main benchmark/priority.

Snarky Snark Snark

The band all died decades ago but are really leaning into that name.

Post edited by scruff monkey on

I would personally say Spotify isn't terrible, but it's very insufficient by itself. It's the most mainstream music service so for an outsider like me it gives a top line idea of what is currently trending big but if I worked in the industry there's no way I would use it without supplementing it with other data like streams from other services (including atypical ones like Youtube and Tik Tok). Local factors are also a big thing to take into account. There are artists who will be huge in one region and will have very little interest in another (an example might be that there are a lot of country artists who are huge in the US but will barely register in Europe).

I suppose that's true, although I guess it just invites the question of why is it that the kind of acts who can sell out stadiums are almost always these older ones and not anyone who is current now? U2 or AC/DC can release a new album and it probably won't have any hits and while it will have an audience from the fans, it won't make many ripples into the mainstream. But they announce a big outdoor gig and they can easily sell 50k+ tickets at €100+ each.

Meanwhile you can take a current really popular act with a lot of buzz, who will get a lot of interest for any new music they release, like let's say Dua Lipa or Olivia Rodrigo (or a 2018 Kendrick Lamar) and they can sell maybe 10-15k tickets at a push. I just find it kind of hard to understand why there's such a disparity there. It's almost like (with a small number of exceptions) there's a reverse correlation between the general public being interested in the music you're currently putting out, and being willing to buy tickets to go see your shows.

ultimately there is only probably a dozen or so acts who can sell out stadiums in ireland. There is somewhat a mix of old and newish. You have your Harry styles, beyonce, Adele, dermot Kennedy from the last decade plus and you have ac/D.C./u2 and old rockers.

the nostalgia acts have a few classic albums that you broken into the consciousness of the general population, whereas whilst popular currently the likes of Olivia rodrigo or dua lipa just haven’t made an impact in general population to same degree.

younger population have less disposable income is another factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Rodrigo sold out 2 nights at 3 Arena the day tickets went on sale, she’d easily sell out a bigger venue and no doubt when she tours again will headline festivals and do outdoor shows. She is very inexperienced though, despite the acclaim, and so doing arenas made sense. Likewise I have no doubt Dua Lipa would sell out Marlay Park if playing there.

In the case of Kendrick Lamar I think hiphop is in general not a well supported genre in comparison to pop and rock.

Yeah basically artists need to develop their stage craft, even if you have biggest song in the world you can be thrown onto major festival stages.

for Olivia rodrigo she could of easily played multiple 3 arenas on her first album when she sold out marquee cork and fairview in seconds but she rightfully didn’t do arena shows till her second album tour. if you throw an inexperienced singer on a massive stage it will go badly 9 out 10 times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭rubick

Let me dream.

*edit*

Just noticed it's September, never mind. Dream dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Advertisement

Googled it there. They still have four original members, which is unusual for a band of that vintage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭rubick

Snarky Snark Snark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Anyone else not feeling positive about the potential lineup considering who's available/rumoured.

Granted having gone to fests/gigs the past 20 years the pool of big artists I haven't seen become less.

The ones that are touring at the moment I'm not particularly interested in and the ones that are I can say likely won't be playing EP.

That said I think 2025 is going to be a great year for gigs and fest lineups.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Maybe Leftfield in the Croi stage or something but that festival is more a mid size festival like the old Picnics before 2012 anyways, maybe Optimo for Rave in the Woods.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I didn't actually know about her two shows at the 3 Arena, I just knew about her previous shows in Fairview and Cork which were smaller, but I suppose that's a good point.

Yeah true I suppose more time to make an impact and time for hit songs/albums to filter down to more people.

Although surely there are a lot more than a dozen acts who can pull this kind of crowd in Ireland (assuming "Stadium" doesn't just mean Croker). Coldplay, Taylor Swift, RHCP, Metallica, AC/DC, The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Guns N Roses, Green Day, Eminem, Garth Brooks, Bon Jovi, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Eagles, Westlife, Billy Joel and probably others could realistically do a 40k+ show I would think without too much difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Would be a great Sunday afternoon act in the sun with Time of the season blasting away.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Thought Leftfield were fairly good at Glasto last year. They played Beyond the Pale last year also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Next year Hozier, Picture This and Samantha Mumba.

• Advertisement

Advertisement