Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

She sold the point out in about 5 mins with a few days notice last year, I think a lot of people don't realise how popular she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Fanirish

And she sold out Hyde park in London last summer in no time. She is exactly the type of artist that any festival in europe would kill to book.

Snarky Snark Snark

She was pretty high up (and really the main event) in from what i remember was a pretty packed EA

Sunday

10.45pm-midnight – The Kooks

9-10.15pm – St Vincent

7.30-8.30pm – Soggy Seconds after Sex

6-7pm – Flouncy Clementine

4.30-5.30pm – Jessie Ware are you?

3.15-4pm – Wyvern Lingo

2.15-2.45pm – Ryan McMullan

1-1.30pm State Lights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Moving the entire festival tho?? She already played it in 2016. A snoozer, I was there.

Her popularity has grown a ton more since. Biggest artist on the festival circuit this summer in europe by a mile

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

I thought it was a blast but different tastes. All speculation anyway and we'll find out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭crl84

LDR is big, but not worth moving a whole festival for on her own in normal times. She's at R&L 5 days before EP starts (23rd-25th), so they could surely have had her stay on a few days and play EP on its normal weekend, given the $$$$$ involved.

She's playing in Milan on Weds 21st.

With Coldplay on EP weekend though, it probably made sense to move it and have LDR play EP, then Milan, then R&L. Less time spent hanging around for her, less organisational issues for MCD/FR trying to run Coldplay and EP on the same weekend.

She could very well have a show/festival on EP weekend in America hence moving the festival was only way to get her if reading/Leeds is the end of her European run.

moving the festival forward two weeks has little to no financial effect on EP. All the costs are the same.

if Coldplay and EP clashed there wouldn’t have been too many organisational issues, security and Garda Siochana availability might have been a slight issue but a Coldplay concert in Croker is a low risk event.

Moving entire festivals to accommodate people that have already headlined. All good. Perfectly logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

Are you managing your expectations a bit with some of these suggestions?

I'm seeing Shark School this weekend as 1 of 3 support acts on an 11.20 ticket. Surely there's going to be a lot of similar acts there.

• Advertisement

She is one of the biggest artists around so it’s perfectly logical.

at this point there is very few acts left who haven’t headlined EP that could feasibly headline.

Next year, mid July to accommodate Belters Only. Cmon dude.

just cause you dislike her doesn’t mean that she isn’t a massive booking for any festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Let's not fight over Lana del Rey, lads. Leave it, Wooderson! She ain't worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭LowOdour

LDR is an odd one - i don't have her as a festival headliner. Now, hers was the best gig I saw in 2023, the atmosphere was unreal. She has some amazing music, but think it suits an indoor setting.

If she is headliner, it could be the act of the weekend. But I'd probably skip it if anything decent was on at same time. Quite odd as I say

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Probably a bit but I’m more focused on mid and lower level acts anyway. I can’t think of a single headlining act at EP level this Summer that I’d have any interest in. Lana Del Ray I’d enjoy but there’s no great craving there. QOTSA ruled out but I don’t like them nor the Foos. Smashing Pumpkins I’d have liked but unless FR have a surprise or two then I’ll be spending little time by the main stage as per the last two years. No complaints about that, plenty for me elsewhere. I’d enjoy Wilco and Nas far more than anything mentioned thus far. Maybe I’m forgetting a potential lead act?

Shark School a local Galway band who’ve got better and better. Would enjoy seeing them at EP. Seen them in lots of support slots and they did their own headliner with a single release last Thursday. Recommended, as are the Dublin support act that night Hotgirl if you come across them. So much talent springing up on this isle right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sweevn

Chiming in with my wishes for this year anyway:

• The Academic
    • Inhaler
    • Fontaines
    • Declan McKenna

You’d imagine The Academic to be a safe bet for this year since they played the main stage 2022 and Electric Arena last year and packed the place out. They seemed to be very popular last year, heard a lot of chatter about them before their set which was nice to see.

Inhaler I’m a bit doubtful over, they’re playing Pukkelpop in the Netherlands on the Friday of EP so they could do Saturday or more likely Sunday. Wouldn’t be sure in all honesty.

Fontaines seem to play everywhere but their home country, think that’s about to change. There was a comment asking for an Irish gig on their recent post about all their dates during the summer at various festivals and they replied “these are just some of our dates this summer” which you’d assume implies they’ll either play EP or a big outdoor gig. Could see them being a non-headliner main stage act but definitely one of the names high up on the list.

Declan McKenna seems to play every UK festival there is. Has a couple dates coming up in April here but he’d definitely be a big draw festival-wise even if he probably won’t headline (could be another Fontaines situation). Haven’t looked into it but I’d be surprised if one of the UK festivals he’s playing doesn’t clash with EP weekend regardless.

As for the headliners I’d say it’ll just be the usual suspects (LDR, Noah, Gerry Cinnamon) which wouldn’t be my cup of tea at all but what can ya do 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Stillill42

God bless you Sweevn. You're the first head in here I've seen actively wish for the Academic. It takes all sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Fontaines played in Ireland plenty of times. They seem quite likely but I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t appear.

I doubt Inhaler will be there, played in 2023, doesn’t seem like new music is coming any time soon and they’d want to be high up the bill after selling out 3 Arena.

Snarky Snark Snark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

I saw Hotgirl twice at the end of last year and again, briefly, early this year. I'd agree they're good but not necessarily a band I'd go out of my way to see. Certainly if they were added as a support act to a gig I was borderline on they might sway me into going.

Snarky Snark Snark

would crawl a mile over broken glass just to wa.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭rubick

Is Malahide an exclusive Irish date for LCD Soundsystem? They have a tasty looking gap between Festival Beauregard in France and APE in England.

Yeah it is. They haven’t even sold much for malahide yet.

Fontaines are playing EP this year. Would expect them to a sub headliner on the main stage

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sweevn

Gut feeling or some substance behind this?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Ah man, this is the first year since 2013 that I've bothered with going to EP (after going every year from 2006 -> 2013), and not only do these rumors unexcite me, I recognise nearly 0% of the artists been talked about.

Is it me who is out of touch?

I'm going to dedicate some time to Lana Del Ray this week

Is there a festival anywhere catered for people who can't keep up with new music?

What I'd give for a festival with the following:

Interpol

Modest Mouse

Mogwai

Jimmy Eat World

Prodigy

Faithless

Bloc Party

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Lorde

Kendrick Lamar

Florence & The Machine

Flaming Lips

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Part of the fun for me is discovering new (to me) bands when the lineup is announced. I go through the line up and listen to a few tunes from each band on Spotify and decide whether or not to give them more of a listen before seeing them live.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Snarky Snark Snark

just wait till you hear about where half of these have played since 2013....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Tbh, if you're going anyway, then these days with streaming it's easy to just check out some of the artists ahead of the festival and see which ones you like best. If I end up keeping my tickets then I'll be intending to see a few acts I wasn't previously familiar with.

You're right, I remembered incorrectly, she was a 2nd tier headliner (alongside some acts that drew huge crowds like Coronas, Dua Lipa, and George Ezra), not a 3rd. Death Grips were the ones down on 3rd tier though.

Advertisement