Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Musicrules

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭newbie18892

Wonder if there's any chance of Paramore playing. They put on a great show last April in the 3Arena.

They'll be supporting Taylor Swift in London that weekend but have the Sunday free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Fred Again was a real snoozer imo.

Seems an earnest chap, but only has a couple solid tunes. The live button-bashing "schtick" gets tiresome.

When compared to any of the established dance acts that have played that spot it was hugely underwhelming. The bauld Peggy Gou will be similar. She has one huge track and at most 2 or 3 other decent tracks and would work miles better in the Terminus box.

Good shout but they're playing 5 nights in London either side of that Sunday and playing 3 times as support for Swift in June. I think they'll probably have a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Fanirish

would say the 3 nights in aviva supporting Taylor will be only Irish shows this summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I see the Galway Folk Festival have bagged Beth Orton, fair fecks to them. Has she ever played EP? I've never seen her anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭rubick

Laois Today Clickbait Article Confirmed.

That's the big one, lads.

An anonymous source tells us it will be 'soon'.

Tune in tomorrow when Deepthroat reveals there may be 'music'.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭glennponder

Fred again is a much more established act (and was last year when announced) than whoever that other crowd were , can't remember their name and couldn't be arsed going back a page to check 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 8,649 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Pretty sure she’s not done EP. I’ve already got tickets for the Galway night but it’s a poor lineup compared to last year when we had Steve Earle, Teenage Fanclub and others. It’s a fun little festival, basically just a few gigs upstairs in Monroe’s and a few freebie trad sessions downstairs. A great vibe.

They had some food trucks and an outdoor stage in the laneway behind the venue last year. What they hadn’t accounted for was the positioning of the stage which backed onto O’Flaherty’s Funeral Parlour. Not great to mourn yer Da when Galway Street Club are doing a sweary Streams of Whiskey 20 metres away. They shut it down.

• Advertisement

tv girl have more listeners than fred again on Spotify by a few million, more albums and been releasing albums for a decade and have played more shows here than he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭dav09

The issue with Fred Again is sorta blowing up too fast. His thing with PHM(with Skrillex+Four Tet) brought him from playing relatively small tents (Rankins wood) to almost global superstar headlining Coachella, a decent amount due to luck as they only got to fill in last minute for Frank Ocean after that disaster and they have little songs as a trio. As a tent act he was better, much more clubby, and was in a sort of transition phase when he played EP last, I still personally think he's very good and a breath of fresh air but can understand the criticism. Think I've seen him 4/5 times at festivals (including w Skrillex and Four Tet) over past few years so wouldn't mind a break. Personally think Skrillex like previously mentioned would be a huge booking if EP pull it off especially for the target market, but that's that's definitely subjective, I couldn't stand his music initially back in 2010s for years but actually think his new music is completely different and a breath of fresh air too, it's like he's a completely different artist.

As for Peggy Gou, I seen her at FF on that beautiful day Aphex Twin last played it and can barely remember her set, unmemorable. She's come on since then some bit, still would be a disappointment, considering R&L have a choice of Skrillex, The Prodigy and Pendulum, it would definitely be a let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Anyone know when their announcing the greencrafts line up? I hope flower crowns make a return.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Hank the DJ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Saw her play in Derry when Other Voices came to town for the City of Culture in 2013. Amazing.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I know the flower crown girls. I'm actually an ITK in the flower crown world. But you'll get nothing from me. A gentleman never tells.

Ah no way! They've probably signed the organic corn dolly's too. Never catch a break.

Spill the beans! The flower crown world is where I want to live.

• Advertisement

While we're on the Beths, no chance I suppose of us getting Beth Gibbons is there? She's doing a few fests, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

don’t think her tour is till later after the album launches, have it preordered and hoping for a non fest date to appear.

primavera is only festival she is playing and would expect her to be playing the indoor AUDITORI ROCKDELUX space. Rest of her tour dates are indoor headline shows,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭rubick

RE: Peggy Gou, wouldn't be a fan. Dance music for people that go to one dance music thing a year.

She's playing Emerge Festival in Belfast the weekend after EP. Amelie Lens too. I don't mind Ms Lens at all, her set in the opening year of Terminus was pretty good, and it was spilling out the sides. Haven't seen it like that since.

Expect we'll see a load of these acts come Stradbally time. Not a lot on there for me tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Pattrick Topping could be a better shout than Fred again, he's headlining Emerge in Belfast, DJ of the Year and to my knowledge he's only EP appearace has been at about 2am in Jerry Fish after the Pale, don't know how he or I ended up there.

I would say more Terminus headliner than anything. I can't say I know much of his music specifically besides one song, personally find it very difficult to get into anyone in Techno/Tech house. I find it really difficult to find anyone stand out that doesn't make generic beats that sound unique, sorta similar to the 90's/00's hardstyle problem and later trance, with everything sounding the same/formulaic. I went to Terminus last year 5/6 times on the way past and found everything sounded pretty much the same every time, was recommended Hannah Laing and found her music particularly boring last year. Maybe it's by own tastes or ignorance, I know a lot of people enjoy it. I suppose the reason I enjoyed Fred Again partially is because I find it a more fresh sound I hadn't heard much of before and difficult to compare/contrast him to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,649 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

’Dance music for people that go to one dance music thing a year.’

That’s nailed most of us here @rubick 😀. Though I’m at Daithi tonight and Leftfield in July so surpassing myself in 2024. More so if LCD count.

And the Terminus poster is the only place I ever see most of this acts mentioned. Are 999999999 and I Hate Models on a rolling contract for the stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Give me Fred Again over Patrick Topping all day, every day. Topping's music (if you can call it that) is shite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I would definitely expect Fallout Boy to be on that level if they played. Iirc they did play Marlay Park not too long ago, and definitely would have a few songs that people in their 30s would remember from when they were teenagers so they'd have some appeal as a throwback act. TV Girl though don't have that same kind of legacy. They've been around a while and do good streaming numbers but at the same time they don't seem to have broken into the mainstream, at least not here, and I think most people would have never heard of them or wouldn't recognise any of their songs and to some extent they seem to be deliberately shunning trying to become too mainstream.

• Advertisement

I 100% agree @drunkmonkey

As for Fallout Boy, in fairness they did play as a triple headliner, I reckon more of a 3 Arena level act if they played standalone, would probably still sub/headline EP. Them and Weezer (less so) I enjoyed as a teenager but sorta grew out of, didn't expect much but I was honestly happily surprised both were good. Particularly Fallout boy, would happily attend at EP, but agree re: TV Girl. I've barely heard of them and dont think are at sub headliner level despite good streaming numbers, find a lot of their songs difficult to differentiate from each other.

Advertisement