Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certain Apps not working correctly on Eir

Options
  • 05-09-2023 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

While home last weekend I noticed some odd behaviour on my parents have Eir broadband(150Mb).

Certain Apps would refuse to load(BBC news app on Android phone) and streaming live tennis on Prime was a buffering nightmare - pauses every 30 seconds for 10 seconds. Clips on Twitter also didn't play. Other apps like Netflix and YouTube worked fine.

Once I switched 4G everything worked as expected. This wasn't limited to one device, and apparently has been happening for ages - also issues with Audible, Spotify and the independent.ie.

I ran some speed tests but there wasn't anything obvious - 100Mb down, 30Mb up. Anyway limited bandwidth wouldn't explain why apps like BBC news wouldn't even open while other services worked without issue.

Anyone heard of anything like this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Have had this issue before but I have a relatively complicated setup which possibly your parents wouldn't have..

A router reboot has probably been tried I presume??

In my case, was to do with a WiFi extender hub..

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭RobiePAX

150 MB/s is a legacy plan. It doesn't exist anymore. Get your parents to call customer care to recontract. They'll be bumped up to 500 MB/s and possibility at cheaper price too vs now.

I can't really say what's causing what you described about the apps. I had same issue with BBC app that articles don't load unless I switch to 5G. But after I updated my phone with the latest software updates and updated all apps in the Play Store the issue stopped. Maybe your phone in question just needs software updates too.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Technophobe - its a simple setup. Just the Eir router, which has been rebooted.

RobiePAX - I will ring and get them upgraded to see if it makes any difference. Thanks.

I don't believe the phone is the issue as the only reason I used the BBC app was because they mentioned they had a problem with it. Once installed I ran into the same issue. It worked fine on 4G and on my own Eir broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

It sounds like possibly a DNS issue with eir's dns servers.

If you can, change them to Google's ones (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) or similer

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I've seen the exact same behavior with apps not loading, and once you switch off WiFi and use phone data, they start working again. A friend in Dublin has also seen the same exact issue. I'm in Mayo with Starlink, he is in Dublin on a Virgin fibre connection....there is something funky going on here at national level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

Ever get this sorted???? Same issue in my mothers house, dondeal, ryanair apps not working here. Eir fibre router, already reset to factory defaults.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

Got it sorted, turned off ipv6 and everything perfect now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 markincork

@PureBred Thank you so much for this. I've been trying all kinds of things with no success, but disabling IPv6 on the router solved all my problems.

Advertisement