Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gov Plans to reduce speed limits

Options

Comments

• Do you know where they are at all times already? I certainly don’t. But god bless if you want the government to have free rein on secret policing.

Maybe we should have all our phone lines tapped while they’re at it. Sure what’s a few garda hiding in the hedgerows to listen in just in case you committed a crime. Of course, you have nothing to worry about I’m sure.

Miss me with that shite mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Any mention of increase in drug driving? Drug taking increasing in this country. Coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭65535

Use Google Maps or Waze but use a GPS to mark your speed - no point in coming across a speed van when you have no idea what speed you are doing then brake hard and cause accidents.

Check your speedometer against a GPS source like Google Maps - mine is 53 on the speedometer for actual 50

107 for 100 etc.

No point in not knowing what actual speed you are doing.

As for accuracy - I've not recevied any tickets when doing GPS 100

• Registered Users Posts: 24 RugbyFan

Green Party policy aims for speed limit reductions in order to reduce emissions.

So they opportunistically use tragic road deaths to manipulate their way. And to criticise it now would be seen as uncaring towards those who have lost their lives or been bereaved.

As was pointed out above, road deaths are still well below their terrible peak.

Junior partner wagging the government dog with very unimaginative solutions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It's been Jack chambers who has been doing the media rounds on this, I have barely heard a peep from Ryan. But yeah, it's the greens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Garda mask pulled of by shaggy….It’s Eamon Ryan 🤣🤣

• right.. and who is in charge of the garda as an organisation? They are not in charge of themselves.

Regardless, if I need to explain to you why the garda being able to sneak around doing as they want in secret is bad and setting the precedent it’s acceptable in any fashion is dangerous then we probably have nothing more to discuss.

Maybe you don’t mind ireland being akin to communist Russia where that sort of thing happens and is tolerated by the government but I’m sound without that tbh.

besides that it would serve no purpose to reduce the number of people speeding it would simply increase the numbers caught. Seeing garda driving around or in the shoulder of the road is exactly what slows people down.

• I don’t as a habit, no.

Let me ask you something is there any indication the RTC’s causing the 127 road deaths so far this year were caused to primarily due to speeding? Do they even know exactly what may have been the causes?

edit; so I had a look at the RSA report on the RTC’s since Jan 1 go around the end of July & of all fatal collisions approx 7 in 10 were on rural roads.

Would that not then make the sensible thing to do upgrade those roads or reduce the limits there? I am not surprised to find this out at all and wouldn’t argue for a second people are way too fast and loose on back roads and rural roads.

Besides being generally winds and bends they’re not in great condition and speed is going to cause trouble but a well maintained national road does not need to default to 80km/h nor do towns need to be 30km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Changing a few signs here and there achieves nothing. The same people will ignore them and carry on as usual. Put the fúcking fear of god into people, have cops out, issuing fines, penalty points, putting people off the road, whatever it takes. People have to take their medicine, otherwise the carnage will continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭redunited

Nothing more than Revenue Collection and giving the Useless Greens more power to feck us over.

Surely this means vehicles will be on the road longer thus pumping out fumes longer?

Speed does not kill, idiots behind the wheel kill.

We have people from all over Europe and the world driving here, with different rules and standards do they consider this at all, not to mention the state of the roads is appalling. I know at least 2 people who still drive without having a full license.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It won't work for 1% of the time in say Dublin where connectivity is good, but in the mountainous treacherous roads of Tipperary that might be as low as 50%. My own car, for example, often loses GPS signals at many spots between Clonmel and Lismore for up to 10km at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

Speed is a factor in almost every collision.... what I mean by this is that if those involved in every fatal collision had slowed to 1kmh then it's likely they would not have been killed. The real question that the investigators and powers that be need to ask is.... what caused someone to speed?

Has an analysis been done on the days and times of fatal RTCs? Do most happen at weekends?, During school runs? in the morning/at night etc etc

Having this info made freely available would give more confidence in any measures taken. A blanket speed limit reduction seems crazy and counter productive. It will likely involve more people taking risks to make up time lost travelling at new speed limits. And for those saying to leave earlier.... people have never been so busy...it isnt always possible.

My 2c...Use the data to determine a pattern in the days/times of fatal RTCs (weekend?, evening? etc etc) and target resources to these days and times.

Reducing speed limits universally is a lazy approach....

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭redunited

Making Dash Cams mandatory for all cars would be a better option, I bet it would be a real eye-opener to the authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,072 ✭✭✭timmyntc

GPS speeding tracker solution would not work. There are far too many variables and ways it could fail - trying to enforce it on speeders would be impossible. GPS needs to be always correct everywhere, speed limits on database need to always be correct everywhere, no way to deal with temporary speed limits etc

Very easy to cast doubt on the integrity of it so not practical to prosecute based on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think Red Silurian has a strange idea of how GPS works - connectivity good in dublin, but not in the country?

Yeah I get that in theory GPS is 100% reliable anywhere in the world but in reality it leaves a lot to be desired

the main issue with GPS connectivity basically boils down to how much of the sky you can see. going under lots of tree cover can mess with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

RSA road traffic collision data can be found here.

The 5 year trend analysis report has a coarse breakdown of time of day.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

To be fair, there is a stretch of 3km directly north of Lismore that is in a canyon with dense tree cover, I've seen my GPS track go wonky when cycling through there. The bigger danger on that road are the tight bends and slippy surface at times due to detritus from the trees, and surface staying damp due to the shade and proximity to the river.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Norteño

You must be joking. It'll be barcodes on our wrists, next.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Ryan was out of the blocks well before Chambers on this, and essentially admits to cynically using recent deaths as a means to further his climate agenda. He's been harping on for ages about reducing speed limits to make a very slight reduction in the 0.089% of global CO2 emissions produced by Ireland and by God he wasn't going to miss the opportunity to exploit recent road deaths!

"Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan has said that “one of the key responses” to address the increase in road fatalities was to look at speeding. He told RTÉ Radio One that this was part of the programme for government commitment to “review and reduce speed limits, where appropriate, to address both road safety issues and carbon emissions, and ensure greater compliance”

Of course building better roads and improving the ones we already have would be good way to bring road deaths and carbon emissions down as well.

But the green party are all about the investment in public transport and cycling so that doesn't suit their agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

This move is politically motivated - designed to save face and be seen to be doing something - and the laziest approach the Government could have taken to tackle the issue of road deaths. But what more would you expect from these morons currently in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Timing belt

if you work on an average speed over 1km or two it doesn’t matter if a signal fails for a few 100 yards.

As I said in original post I don’t see it happening because of privacy but it is possible and would work on 99% of the road network.

Even if it was adopted and data only used in the Event of accidents it could change driving behaviour just knowing that this would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,359 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

See 1,2,4 everytime I cycle on a country road and see 3 every day going to work. I would add another to that on the country roads.

5. Idiots who overtake on a blind bend or blind incline.

The only bit of the new legislation that will make a difference to me is 30kph city streets because at least there people have some fear of being caught.

The country roads are and will remain a free for all and from what I can see (could be wrong) it's the country drivers involved in most of these deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

Yes, very coarse, I'm sure they could go deeper. My main question though is whether the measures they are proposing to take now (blanket speed reduction) have taken this data into account. It does not seem like it

It's worth pointing out that even if speed is not the primary cause of an 'accident', that this means reducing speeds is of no benefit. Speed may not be the primary cause, but lower speeds could result in the collision being avoided entirely in the first place, and failing that, the severity of the collision being reduced.

To play devils advocate here, was speeding the result of recent crashes in Clonmel and Cahir?

• Advertisement

result? or cause? you're asking the wrong person.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement