Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband help Vodafone

Options
  • 06-09-2023 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi,

Based in rathfarnham and can't get Openeir to connect us to any type of broadband. Bought the house last year and renovated it, including cabling the entire house with high spec cabling for enternet. Alarm system for house set up in attic which needs internet (ideally hardwired) to be commissioned. In the meantime we have a vodafone 5g Huawei H122 5G Modem box installed as a temp (but now sounding permanent) measure. Can this be connected to the cabling in the house?

Any other options would be appreciated as well. Two of us work from home and three teenage kids (so a lot of netflix and some gaming in the evening in the winter)

Thanks

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

In Rathfarnham I would expect Virgin Media to be available, not the cheapest but usually more reliable than 5G.

You could try Siro as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Yes it should be able to be connected - you'd need a network switch to connect the cables together at the central location and then the Three router can be plugged into the switch either directly or via one of the ethernet sockets elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭chuckles1

thanks, will give it a go later. Vodafone seemed to be suggesting no when I was online with them yesterday and didn't get a chance to check last night.....so it would be a good solution if it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭chuckles1

Openeir wont connect so that rules vodafone out and SIRO aren't there yet either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Virgin Media have their own network which covers most urban areas of Dublin utilising the (upgraded) legacy cable TV network. They can offer 1GB to most areas using Fibre to the Cabinet and then Coax cable to the house. They are also starting to roll out FTTH as well but their Fibre to the Cabinet is good enough for most.

Vodafone resell on SIRO and Openeir so yes looks like they would be a non-runner if neither available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I have the 3 5g after a mix up in porting to sky from vodafone fibre on openeir. No ports were left. If Three have a good signal 5g in the area it is quite good TBH. They will install an outside antenna if needed also. Have to say my 5g is far superior ATM to the 100mb fibre i had. I just have the 5g router indoors and its an aparment without mast view.

My apartment is cabled also. I will try and see this wekend if plugging an ethernet cable from the router to it will send it around the apartment.

For Fibre i would be going with Eir if i were you as they own OpenEir.

Advertisement