Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welding an aluminium bike frame?

Options
  • 06-09-2023 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Anyone know who might do this? My frame has worn down to the point where there's a hole in it from the bike lock I had previously hung off it. My bike shop refuses to do any other maintenance as they consider it a safety risk (despite me riding on this bike with the hole for the past 3 years!). Any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'd probably get a secondhand frame for not much more than the repair cost i'd say. BER.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Service it yourself? Aluminium can be welded, but its much trickier than welding steel. You'd need to know someone who's good with a tig welder. Anyone I know doing this sort of welding to a high standard is working in industry, or working for themselves making motorbike frames, car repair etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

I wouldn't. I had it done by a guy in Dublin and it cracked after three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Treat yourself to a new frame and transfer your parts.

Cheaper than a hospital stay.

What size do you need? I've a 60cm freebie in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Had a crack in the seat tube , brought it to an aluminium welder , has been fine the last 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Where exactly on the frame is the hole. That must have been making some racket with the lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

The hole is in the seat stays (I think they're called that), see the photo below. This particular bike is just a run-around for the city. It's not the prettiest or even an expensive bike, but it's the one I'm comfortable to lock up on a Dublin street because of its appearance!

I'm not worried about it actually failing as it's been like this a long time, I just want to get it serviced. There's a lot to be done and I don't think I have the time (or patience) to do it myself.

I had thought about just putting a piece of tape over the hole and hoping the bike shop doesn't notice it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Invincible

Pm sent.

Advertisement