Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micromanaging problems

Options
  • 07-09-2023 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi all,

I just started a new position as of a few months ago and it's going well except for one aspect. It's a job that involves traveling a bit and in my older position I'm used to organising my time myself for the most part but that should be the case here as well but the boss is micro managing the time a lot. Now it might sound like well hey that's what a boss does especially as in only in the door a few months.

But what's happening is as an example is; I'd organise a time with a client and have it confirmed and put into my outlook calender. He'd then swoop in at some stage and ask me to do it another time, earlier and I'd have to get in touch with the client again or he'd get in touch with the client themselves to suggest an alternative time which is very annoying and forces me to reshuffle my calender while also making me look bad.

He would also give me timelines on when to do certain jobs that are not emergencies by any means.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to this other than he's trying to assert his authority. I believe he's been new to management as well.

Am I unreasonable here? I am just after all just in the door but I have 8 years experience in the role in a previous position. This isn't a entry level position.

Is this something I should try to discuss earlier on or is it likely to get better when more trust is gained?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

I think it depends on the style of management.

I can tell you micro managing all the time doesn't work for me, but i often need someone to manage my time sometimes because i get distracted really easily and tend to focus on things i find interesting rather then, sometimes, urgent day to day stuff.

I'd give it sometime and see how it plays out, after all you're just in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,242 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Unlikely to get better. Micro management is a bad habit that usually a personality trait. It's like OCD.

Certainly the first step is to discuss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Radical as this may seem, talk to him about it in a non-confrontational way. You'd be surprised: Either of you may learn something.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

thanks all

Ultimately the manager can dictate who does what and when.

In the past I've approached this two ways.

One to clarify responsibilities. The other to heap load of work on the Micromanager, so they implode and back off.

Never really changed someone who's habit it is to micromanage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I understand the changing client appointments would be very annoying, but assigning deadlines for work? That is literally the managers job in order to give clarity, so there is no confusion about when stuff is due. if they were not giving deadlines, they would be causing confusion and holding you back from allowing you autonomy to prioritise your workload and decide for yourself do what/when etc in order to deliver on the required outcomes/results.

A manager's job is literally X (explain what successful delivery of X looks like if necessary) is due by Y. Good management would be to also explain the purpose and why it's important and where it fits in the overall org etc but this really isn't an obligation

Employee's job: decide how best to deliver X in lie with required spec advised by mgmt, and then deliver X by Y. If problem delivering on time or to spec, flag in good time with manager

A manager who keeps changing priorities and tasks for no good reason is like the boy who cried wolf. They will lose credibility eventually, and their deadlines and priority won't be taken seriously.

Perhaps he had good reason. The OP needs to discuss it with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What did he say when you asked him why he was arranging a new time? What reason did he give?

Its a simple question after all, he tells you to arrange a new time and you enquire about the reason behind it, you have to mess the client about after all so there must be a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭backwards_man

You are senior enough in your role to stand your ground in a polite but firm way. Next time tell him changing meetings with the customer is unprofessional and you dont want to do it. Keep the scheduled appt. if he challenges you stand your ground. He cant keep doing it. each time ask him why in a respectful way, explain how bad it looks and you have been there for 8 yrs and built up relationships with the customers and dont want to cancel at short notice, something like that. In sales Your reptuation counts. If you,are constantly recheduling it looks bad. If he goes over your head and calls the cusomter you need to challenge that, that is a complete no no if you own the account, it doesn matter if he is your manager, he cant do that and expect the customer to respect you as the contact on the account.

Where did the OP say he was there 8 years and was senior? He said he's new there. He also didn't mention sales - not that sales would put him in any different situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nickkohl

I got u. It's frustrating when a boss micro-manages scheduling despite experience. It's important to address your concerns in a calm manner, highlighting the significance of efficiency. May be propose exploring job dispatching software like https://оrcatec.com/features/field-service-dispatching to streamline communication and tasks. Gradually building trust might help alleviate this issue in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Deadline on jobs is fine, but my concern here is that fxuking around with client meetings that you are age may be a ploy to give him a stick to beat you with at the first or even end of probationary period review, so I would be keeping a note of, including screen shots on your own phone, of the diary when you make the appt.

Did u meet this guy during the interview process?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement