Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carers Allowance Mean Test - Pension.

• 07-09-2023 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone know if your pension plan is taken into account when assessing means for carers allowance.

I know they ask for information on investmensts, savings, property etc but I can't find anything specific if pension plans are included or excluded. Considering the pension is not available to you as means until retirement I would be thinking no, but then again can't be sure.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,640 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Thanks. I had seen that one before. Im just not 100% sure. Say for example your pension plan was worth 200k as you had been contributing to it for the last 20 years, is this added to your capital under investments. Even though you don't have access to the funds until retirement.

I see further on that Pension Contribution are disregarded but not sure if that's the same thing.

Very confusing. Or maybe I'm a little slow today. 😁😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,640 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I misread the plan bit, so I dont think it comes in under investments because you don't have access to it and if it did come into it now and then when you started drawing a pension, this would become part of the means test which would be a double whammy: capital and income.

Perhaps not slow, just too bloody warm for this WFH lark

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

You’d have to send evidence of it anyway. Do that and let them process your application with everything out in the open. Your interpretation of “investment” may not be the same as theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Thanks for the info above. I've done some more research and from what I can see:

The pension fund capital is disregarded until you have access to the funds. Depending on the rules of the particular plan.

The contributions you make including AVC, s are also deducted from your gross pay.

I will give them a ring to be sure I'm reading it correctly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement