Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 8 and 8 Pro

Options
1212223242527»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pandabat

I bought my phone from Google but they can't do IMEI blocking so I'd need to call my SIM provider to get it done. People port around networks all the time - you just call your current provider to get the IMEI blocked when you're getting your stolen SIM disabled and ordering a replacement. At the end of the day though, you're unlikely to ever the see the stolen phone again. While it might give more peace of mind to know that perhaps no one else is benefitting from it, it doesn't really amount to a whole hill of beans if it's blocked - you'll still be down a phone. There are probably means by which to reprogram the IMEI code anyway for the dedicated criminal so wouldn't stress too much about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Have the exact same issue. Very annoying as VoWIFI is much needed due to poor signal in the house. But I'm now constantly having to ring people back because I miss their calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,071 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Price drops on google store

Pixel 8A 509 (was 559)

Pixel 8 599 (was 799) also available for 199.67/month with 3 monthly installments

Pixel 8 Pro 829 (was 1099)

Buds 169 (was 229)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The 8a is still cheaper in Three at €440.

The 8 is brought in line with 3 and the Pro is cheaper than 3(€919).

I like the idea of 3 payments of €200 a month for the 8, can't seem to get it to work for me though

• Advertisement

Does your network know the IMEI even if you haven't bought the phone from your network? As far as I know IMEI blocking only extends to Ireland so to get it unblocked they just need to bring it outside of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pandabat

That IMEI info is part of the negotiation for joining the network (along with your SIM) afaik so the network can get that info at some point. Can't recall if it normally appears in call data records. You might be correct in regard you say re blocking though - I'm not sure how far and wide the black-listing extends

• Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I don't think it has been mentioned yet, but the Google Gemini app (ChatGPT equivalent) is now available in Ireland (since the start of June). It replaces the google assistant on your phone (you can switch back if you don't like it).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭corks finest

Thanks,never knew about it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I switched it back to the regular Google Assistant as it couldn't do things like stream radio etc. Instead of playing RTÉ Gold for example I get told about RTÉ Gold.

• Advertisement

Price increases on google store

Pixel 8A 559 (was 509)

Pixel 8 799 (was 599)

Pixel 8 Pro 1099 (was 899)

Buds 229 (was 169)

Also if you go to the US store, as well as being treated to lower prices, it looks like the Pixel 9 will be revealed on the 8th of Undecember 13th of August

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

US store prices are shown exclusive of Vat. Also did the Irish store not have a sale on for the last little while? The prices are most likely back to normal RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Anyone remember if prices go down much on previous models when a new one is released? Was going to buy a p8 pro but will it drop more much more than the current price of €719 (in bricks and mortar shops) with the 9 coming out soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I think it depends on if they up the new price majorly or not. There has to be a financial incentive so if they don't up the P9 then the P8 will drop. I'd expect the initial dif. to be relatively minor, then after a few months it will increase as they try and offload older stock.

Yeah, I suppose the 8 pro was €1100 release, so €719 isn't realistic if the 9 has a similar price. Obviously don't want to pay €719 for an 8 and in a month the 9 comes out at €900.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭wassie

The Vodafone store historically has had good discounts on previous gen Pixel phones for prepaid plans, so worth keeping an eye on.

Although from memory discounts on the 7 weren't so good with the release of the 8 series last year.

Fúck it, bought the 8 pro

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭corks finest

Great phone tbh

Have mine a good while

All good

Advertisement