Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters [Apple+]

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,391 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The 3 of them are horrible characters. I particularly hate Cate and just want her to be eaten so badly just so she can stop moaning and moaning

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 7 and the first time I've seen any cast from The Expanse since the show ended: watching Dominique Tipper play a corporate queen-bee was really weird; all that costume jewellery and the power suits just looked wrong on someone I've been used to watching wearing a boiler-suit for 6 seasons 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

those revelations were dragged out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭klose

Enjoyed that now, monsterverse is fun, hoping for a season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

They've certainly set it up for a second. Suppose it will depend on viewing figures vs budget.

I enjoyed it for the most part. One or two episodes felt a little dragged out, where the story wasn't progressed much, but otherwise I liked the pace. Of course, a second season mightn't have the benefit of scenes set in the 50s and 60s. Maybe they can convince some of the Skull Island cast to come back for some 70s stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finished this up over the course of a couple of days and i probably should have twigged where the big mystery was heading, given how it was all tied to the existing movies.

But still, the journey itself has proved to be broadly enjoyable and far exceeded my expectations going in. Better written, acted and structured than it had any right to be - more than the movies TBH given the human character stuff in those was just all sorts of stupid melodrama. Here it felt more grounded and emotionally earnest; no less melodramatic but played straight (Keiko breaking down in Episode 10 was surprisingly raw).

Not sure if a season 2 could sustain the magic given as I said, the films got quite silly, full of hover ships and whatnot; and the core flaw of the show is the main characters have minimal actual relationship with Monarch. Keeping them involved in the plot would require a lot of pollyfill.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Renewed for a second season and multiple spinoffs planed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Was late to the party on this one but ended up binging the full season, really enjoyed it. It's a bit brainless but it's far closer to the 2014 Godzilla movie and Skull Island than it is to those atrociously bad newer movies, relatively grounded.

Cast were great, loved the 1950/60's segments, and just a generally good balance of cheese and drama. Monsters are used sparingly and the show is all the better for it. Again, show has a good sense of scale, weight and destruction, which is bizarrely completely missing from the newer films.

The only aspect of it that really doesn't make sense, even in its own universe, is how Hiroshi was so stauntly dedicated, married to even, his work, yet still found time to have two families? How? Why? The show doesn't even attempt to explain.

Solid overall though. Kurt and Wyatt Russell, and the actress playing Keiko, were definitely the highlights for me. The "kids" can be annoying but that's how they're written, though the actors were actually pretty good.

Funny I call them kids but it's kinda the late teens vibe in which the show presents them, Cate and Mae are around 30 in real life.

Advertisement